Can someone please assess my chances of studying economics at these uni's
I have 3A*s 7As 1B at GCSE
2As, 2Bs and 2Cs at AS-Level
I am currently doing:
Maths (predicted A)
Economics (predicted A)
Physics (predicted A)
Further Maths AS (predicted A)
I am also doing the Extended Project and have a strong line of extra-curriculars.
I am planning on applying to:
Exeter, Surrey, Kent, UCL, Nottingham

Any advice and opinions are most appreciated
Thank you
Not sure if people are still replying to this thread but hey ho..

I'm currently in my second year at Collge studying my A levels and wanting to do a BSc degree in Economics.

My AS results included:
Maths - A
Physics - B
Economics - A
ICT - A
I carried on 3 of the subjects to A level and my predictions are:
Maths - A*
Economics - A*
Physics - B
I'm looking to push my Physics prediction mark up to an A by doing a couple of resits next year.
I am also doing an Economics extended project this year and am looking to get an A/A* for it.

For universities I am still quite unsure but thinking of applying for: UCL/Warwick, Bristol/Bath, Manchester, Cardiff/Southampton, Leeds/York/Exeter/Sheffield.

Just wondering if I'm being too ambitious applying for UCL/Warwick? If not should I try and squeeze in another high ranked university? Also am I being too ambitious or conservative with my choices?
Reply 802
Predicted grades: AABB (Not maths)
GCSES: 2A 7B 2C

Economics at: Lancaster, Sussex, Glasgow, Sheffield(BA), UEA.

Do you guys think i stand a good chance?
Reply 803
Original post by LukeWz
Predicted grades: AABB (Not maths)
GCSES: 2A 7B 2C

Economics at: Lancaster, Sussex, Glasgow, Sheffield(BA), UEA.

Do you guys think i stand a good chance?

Yes, with a good personal statement, it is likely you will get offers from some of those Universities. Remember Economics is competitive at any University. Just believe in yourself and do not worry about what other people think- Even Me!
Reply 804
Is there nothing wrong to be accepted to the university if i do not have economics in school?
Reply 805
doubt this'll get answered but
which is better for Economics: Royal Holloway or Surrey?
Reply 806
Hey guys ,

I am currently starting year 12 and I was just wondering if unis like UCL and Warwick have GCSE requirements for economics or economics with statistics.
I got 6 A*s 4As at GCSE, and i'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Philosophy&Ethics for AS and A2. I do quite a bit of extra circurlar like school plays & musicals, I play the piano, I am in my school Football and cricket teams, I am doing DofE Gold, and general duties around the school.

Can anyone asses my chances of getting into UCL or warwick?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated just plz no rude comments :smile:

Thanks!!
Original post by Wa 007
Hey guys ,

I am currently starting year 12 and I was just wondering if unis like UCL and Warwick have GCSE requirements for economics or economics with statistics.
I got 6 A*s 4As at GCSE, and i'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Philosophy&Ethics for AS and A2. I do quite a bit of extra circurlar like school plays & musicals, I play the piano, I am in my school Football and cricket teams, I am doing DofE Gold, and general duties around the school.

Can anyone asses my chances of getting into UCL or warwick?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated just plz no rude comments :smile:

Thanks!!

Hi I'm a 2nd year at Warwick doing economics. Pretty sure there is no GCSE requirement subject wise. Your extra-curricular stuff sounds good - I got in doing virtually nothing extra-curricular except being an economics prefect at school. I think however you may only just be on the verge of the generally required GCSE grades for an offer though don't quote me on that and obviously if your a levels and personal statement are very good I'm sure they overlook GCSEs anyway.

Anyway, don't know if you've seen this topic but its run by the actual Warwick econ department and they answer application questions, they will be able to tell you more:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1792980
Reply 808
Hi there guys

I am about to go to sixth form next year and I want of study economics at LSE or UCL.
I want to know what kind offer in terms of grades would I get if I obtained these grades at AS:

Maths-A
Economics-A
History-B
Chemistry-A/B

Or would I not get an offer with these grades from LSE or UCL
Thanks
Original post by Elasticity
Hi I'm a 2nd year at Warwick doing economics. Pretty sure there is no GCSE requirement subject wise. Your extra-curricular stuff sounds good - I got in doing virtually nothing extra-curricular except being an economics prefect at school. I think however you may only just be on the verge of the generally required GCSE grades for an offer though don't quote me on that and obviously if your a levels and personal statement are very good I'm sure they overlook GCSEs anyway.

Anyway, don't know if you've seen this topic but its run by the actual Warwick econ department and they answer application questions, they will be able to tell you more:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1792980

Im doing maths, further maths, chemistry, geography and economics for as, and maths, further maths, chem and economics for a2. Im predicted all a’s at as. Had 7 a stars 5 a ‘s at gcse, do I have a chance at lse? Or ucl and warwick?
Reply 810
Original post by printergirl
Im doing maths, further maths, chemistry, geography and economics for as, and maths, further maths, chem and economics for a2. Im predicted all a’s at as. Had 7 a stars 5 a ‘s at gcse, do I have a chance at lse? Or ucl and warwick?

you have a chance at all of them as long as your personal statement is up to scratch.

you have a good subject combination and as long you get A's at AS you'll stand a good chance. your GCSE's are also sufficient for a competitive application.
Original post by funkydee
you have a chance at all of them as long as your personal statement is up to scratch.

you have a good subject combination and as long you get A's at AS you'll stand a good chance. your GCSE's are also sufficient for a competitive application.

what unis should i apply for in terms of grade requirement, one top one i.e lse/ucl/oxbridge, 2 competitive a*aa i.e. nott/bristol/bath and 2 aaa ?
Reply 812
Original post by printergirl
what unis should i apply for in terms of grade requirement, one top one i.e lse/ucl/oxbridge, 2 competitive a*aa i.e. nott/bristol/bath and 2 aaa ?

i'll PM you.
Reply 813
Will a uni with requirements of AAB accept me I'd i have A-levels with an A in maths, B in chemistry + business studies and a D in as-physics. Also should I do an economics A-level in a year or is there no point. I'm also talking about applying for a bsc economics course.
Original post by SeanH
Will a uni with requirements of AAB accept me I'd i have A-levels with an A in maths, B in chemistry + business studies and a D in as-physics. Also should I do an economics A-level in a year or is there no point. I'm also talking about applying for a bsc economics course.

Yes, sure; how are your predicted grades like? The D in Physics is disappointing, but if you're dropping it, it is does not really matter.

It is good that you've got the A in the Maths, seen as the BSc courses are very mathematical. The B in Business Studies seems a slight niggle, but I see no reason why you won't get any offers :smile:.
Reply 815
Original post by Paulwhy

I have not got an UCAS offer for the uni I really want to go to. Should I re-apply?
You need to re-apply on a positive not a negative basis. So if you end up at the uni you originally had offers from you regard that as ok. And if you end up at a uni you prefer, you regard that as a bonus.

This is because:
1)Getting offers from top unis is very hard.
2)If you feel like "if I don't get an offer from uni X next time then this year will have been wasted" then that is not a situation to be in emotionally speaking. i.e. your destination is not something you can control (only influence).
3) You should not really expect a different decision unless you change something major.
4)Most of the fundamentals you can't change (GCSEs and AS-levels). You can try to do extra A-level but there is an opportunity cost to that and it is hard to get (high)predictions for a course when you need to apply to UCAS not long after starting it.
5)You can try and improve your PS. And it may be that leaving it a year makes you more aware of why you want to do econ and hence able to do a better PS. But that is not a given: "there is nothing innate about the passage of time that makes that happen".

So in conclusion re-applying in a desperate attempt to get into uni X is not good. But re-applying after consideration on the following basis can be good:
i)I may end up at a better uni (possibly my bliss uni).
ii)But if not I certainly will have improved my skills (academic) which will help me perform well at uni once I get there, had new experiences (travelled) and improved my employability (had work experience).

"4)Most of the fundamentals you can't change (GCSEs and AS-levels). You can try to do extra A-level but there is an opportunity cost to that and it is hard to get (high)predictions for a course when you need to apply to UCAS not long after starting it."

Isn't this wrong? Like applying with mediocre AS Levels is different from applying with your real A Level results, which could be noticeably better, and means you got the grades rather than being predicted it... meaning your almost like a perfect candidate
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 816
How do I narrow down my choices as I'm aiming for ABB (no a level maths sadly) so university's like LSE & Oxford are not on the cards, do i for lesser Russell groups like queens Belfast or a non Russell group
Reply 817
What do the Uni's like UCL/ Warwick think about students retaking exam modules in their gap year? Eg. retaking a few modules this academic year and still going through the UCAS procedure? Is there a high disadvantage? (For Economics ofcourse)...
Reply 818
Original post by Alkesh
What do the Uni's like UCL/ Warwick think about students retaking exam modules in their gap year? Eg. retaking a few modules this academic year and still going through the UCAS procedure? Is there a high disadvantage? (For Economics ofcourse)...

Unless you have the grades already (a*aa with a* math for UCL), a*aa for Warwick, I wouldn't bother. I am in a similar situation to yourself; I emailed Warwick and the term used by the admissions tutor was 'significant disadvantage'.
Original post by Paulwhy
2 additional questions and answers added to post 1.

You spoke about overlapping subjects, well..
I have Maths, f maths, Econ, Business, Psychology and portuguese (A*A*A*ABA*).
How harmfull will business + economics be on my lse/ucl application?

Thanks xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending