The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bibi1306
Hey there,

What do the tests involve? In an earlier post someone said maths and literacy...is this the case?

Can you give an example? PLEASE

:smile:

I know you weren't asking me, but since I'm on this thread I may as well answer! It was a numeracy test which involved looking at graphs/charts/tables and calculating information from them. Then a logical reasoning type test where you had to pick the missing pattern, the type you get on IQ tests.
Reply 3041
They tell you in the information its numerical and logical reasoning. A practice test website link in the FAQ document is provided. That website gives you a short test to let you try what it's like.

Also, before you do the test they make you do a 6(?) question practice run anyway.

Hope you're not asking us to provide an example question that is IN the test.... Because that won't be fair on us! :tongue: (besides, probably no one remembers as time was so strict!)
(edited 12 years ago)
So the examiners who look at the applications will be looking at a person spec and we are supposed to answer those essay type questions?

Is the numeracy test basic GCSE level?

I'm assuming everyone gets the same questions, so it may be negatively marked?
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't know what the people looking at the essay questions are looking for exactly, but I presume it will be to look for people who match their person specification, what ever that is.

The numeracy is intermediate / higher level GCSE imo, but it's the very tight time limit which makes it so difficult.

No idea about negative marking, I doubt it though considering I guessed about a quarter of the questions cause I ran out of time and I still passed.
Reply 3044
I've emailed them to ask if there was a person spec and they replied saying they haven't released one this year, I guess that's prob why they have asked specific questions, they already know what they are looking for.
All this about the practical tests are making me terrified. I used to be good at that sort of thing but I have know idea now.

I read somewhere within the website that they want you to do the tests as soon as possible. Does anyone know why this is? I've not done them yet as I've not finished my application. I'll probably end up submitting over the weekend but im just worried that this is too late.
Reply 3046
Original post by beckster824
All this about the practical tests are making me terrified. I used to be good at that sort of thing but I have know idea now.

I read somewhere within the website that they want you to do the tests as soon as possible. Does anyone know why this is? I've not done them yet as I've not finished my application. I'll probably end up submitting over the weekend but im just worried that this is too late.

I posed the same question to my manager who is invloved in the process and he said it will make no difference at what point you submit you application as long as it is within the deadlines, I've decided to submit mine next weekend now so I can practice the tests more as I too am terrified! Lol
Hey guys, does anyone know how many questions you need to answer correctly to pass the tests? Those who have already done the test and have passed/failed maybe can give us some idea?
Original post by ChiBo
They tell you in the information its numerical and logical reasoning. A practice test website link in the FAQ document is provided. That website gives you a short test to let you try what it's like.

Also, before you do the test they make you do a 6(?) question practice run anyway.

Hope you're not asking us to provide an example question that is IN the test.... Because that won't be fair on us! :tongue: (besides, probably no one remembers as time was so strict!)

That wasn't what I meant, I haven't done any tests like this before and I'm sure the practice examples will answer my question.

Thanks for responding Laura :biggrin:
Original post by Penguin22
Hey guys, does anyone know how many questions you need to answer correctly to pass the tests? Those who have already done the test and have passed/failed maybe can give us some idea?

I reckon I passed somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4, but I don't know for sure.
Reply 3050
Original post by Penguin22

each question of the numerical corresponds to 5% of the total mark , so if you want to pass and have C you should solve 10 out of 20.

the same goes for the Logical i guess :smile:
Original post by bioblue
I posed the same question to my manager who is invloved in the process and he said it will make no difference at what point you submit you application as long as it is within the deadlines, I've decided to submit mine next weekend now so I can practice the tests more as I too am terrified! Lol

Ah that's good to know.... I don't need to panic so much and can spend time doing the questions and practice the tests more as well. :smile:
Original post by 25121982
each question of the numerical corresponds to 5% of the total mark , so if you want to pass and have C you should solve 10 out of 20.

the same goes for the Logical i guess :smile:

Original post by laura130490
I reckon I passed somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4, but I don't know for sure.

Thank you guys! I don't know why but I'm panicking way too much about this...good luck to everyone!!
Reply 3053
I just managed to fail the online tests, despite being really happy with what I'd written for the essay questions and thinking I might have a shot. Found the numerical reasoning test very difficult - it's so frustrating to fall on that hurdle, wouldn't have many complaints if my qualifications weren't sufficient or I performed badly at interview but that's hard to take!
Original post by mrg26
I just managed to fail the online tests, despite being really happy with what I'd written for the essay questions and thinking I might have a shot. Found the numerical reasoning test very difficult - it's so frustrating to fall on that hurdle, wouldn't have many complaints if my qualifications weren't sufficient or I performed badly at interview but that's hard to take!

Bad luck, I know it feels like a completely arbitrary way of cutting down applications that need to be looked at. I hope you find something related to what you want to do. I've applied to a radiotherapy physics technician job in Kent and I hope I get that.
Original post by mrg26

Yeah it is a shame they have done it this way really, because some people might be great at doing these type of tests, but not be good candidates. I've done tests like this for the NHS Graduate Management Scheme and they were a lot easier, was surprised how difficult these ones were to be honest.
Reply 3056
Original post by mrg26

Sorry to hear that :frown: I think they are using this test to make it easier to select for interviews, its not a case of just pass and fail, the highest ranked scorces will be chosen for interview as long as they fulfil the question criteria of course. Its a very different system and maybe next year they will change it again. I haven't taken my test yet, too scared, waiting until next weekend so I can practice a bit more. Hope you find something else.
Original post by bioblue
Sorry to hear that :frown: I think they are using this test to make it easier to select for interviews, its not a case of just pass and fail, the highest ranked scorces will be chosen for interview as long as they fulfil the question criteria of course. Its a very different system and maybe next year they will change it again. I haven't taken my test yet, too scared, waiting until next weekend so I can practice a bit more. Hope you find something else.

I emailed them and was told that passing the tests just allows you to progress to next stage where they will look at your application and see who matches the criteria best. They didn't mention ranking people based on the test results, they said they rank people based on the skills and knowledge needed for the training scheme. So I'm presuming they put more emphasis on degree, experience, answers to essay questions etc than whether you scored highly in a numeracy test.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by bioblue

I really think these tests are just a pass/fail thing to cut down applications and they're not ranked and I don't think our mark will affect whether we get an interview or not. They stress so much that if you pass the tests you're kept in the application process implying that it's just a kept in/chucked out thing. That's my thoughts anyway!
Original post by littlegirlbigworld
I really think these tests are just a pass/fail thing to cut down applications and they're not ranked and I don't think our mark will affect whether we get an interview or not. They stress so much that if you pass the tests you're kept in the application process implying that it's just a kept in/chucked out thing. That's my thoughts anyway!

Yeah that's what I gathered from the emails I've had from them. It's just to cut down numbers of applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest