The Student Room Group

How fat do I look, be honest. I am planning to work out from tomorrow

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by thebeast89
Can I swim for an hour instead of doing the normal treadmill/cycle?

Yes, absolutely! That'll be great for muscles too.
Reply 21
2 varying replies.back to square one

Well if you want't an objective look, do your BMI rather than relying on people opinions which are bound to vary! I think you're a bit chubby yeh, wouldn't say fat though.
Reply 22
Thank you. well I hate gyms so I was thinking I'd go swimming + running instead?

id say running and gym is a priority as if you go gym there will most likely be cardio/abs machines which will help you loose fat especially in your belly... swimming will also help but abs machines will target your belly more so gym is better if you want faster results... but YOUR DIET is the most important thing, 1st thing you should do is never again drink fizzy drinks or any type of fruit juice as its full of SUGAR, swap it with water as water helps you loose weight!
Reply 23
You're not huge but you definitely could do with losing some weight. Congrats for taking a step in the right direction :smile:
you're fat. At least you're going to do something about it.
Reply 25
Did you take those pictures with a cabbage?
Reply 26
Definitely not fat, just need to do a bit of toning :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by da_comeback
Cardio, one hour per day and eat properly.

Do some weight lifting before...

I wouldnt say that you are massively overweight, but you are slightly chubby..

That's bad advice, don't listen to it.

For the purpose of weight loss you want to train for short periods of time (10-20 mins) per cardio workout doing high intensity interval training. Basically run for 2 minutes at a jog followed by 1 minute at a sprint then two mins at a job continuing.

Do this in conjunction with full-body compound exercises such as squatting, deadlifting and military presses (workouts that require many muscles).

Keep your workouts short and sweet 45-1hr. Don't do more than 45 minutes of cardio unless you're training for endurance and ensure you give yourself 2-3 rest days per week.

Exercise does very little in comparison to your diet so make sure you create a calories defecit of at least 500kls per day. This should ensure steady progress.

Good luck
I wouldn't say you are overweight, just a bit chubby.

As other people have said, it won't be too difficult to shift with some cardio/HIIT if you're motivated. The most important thing is that you sort out your diet.
Reply 29
M.O.N.S.T.E.R mate, go f*cking kill something!
Reply 30
Original post by rodcarter
That's bad advice, don't listen to it.

For the purpose of weight loss you want to train for short periods of time (10-20 mins) per cardio workout doing high intensity interval training. Basically run for 2 minutes at a jog followed by 1 minute at a sprint then two mins at a job continuing.

Do this in conjunction with full-body compound exercises such as squatting, deadlifting and military presses (workouts that require many muscles).

Keep your workouts short and sweet 45-1hr. Don't do more than 45 minutes of cardio unless you're training for endurance and ensure you give yourself 2-3 rest days per week.

Exercise does very little in comparison to your diet so make sure you create a calories defecit of at least 500kls per day. This should ensure steady progress.

Good luck

This! HIIT is great for loosing weight, and spikes your metabolism too, but don't use this as an excuse to eat rubbish. Diet=70% of your weight loss at least.
Doing excessive cardio will make you lose muscle too, so keep it short, but in quick bursts, unless you want to be stick thin.
Good luck, and keep us posted!
You don't look too overweight, just need to tone up a bit which shouldn't be difficult if you stick to an exercise regime. I'm no expert on what is the most effective method but I'm sure some of the TSR members can give you some constructive advice :smile:

Best of luck.
Reply 32
ive seen worse ... youre not to bad, bit of excersise wouldnt hurt but you arent a proper fatty by any means just a bit chubby :rolleyes:
Reply 33
look good to me :smile:
What's all this crap with the replies about 'toning'?

OP, eat a clean diet, do HIIT 3 times a week, one constant exercise i.e. go for a jog around a park, and do a proper cut.

Then after you see the fat disappear (all over the body but the stomach too), then you can 'get ripped' if you want to. 'toning' doing sit ups and bicep curls isn't going to make you get rid of your BF or lower the %.
Original post by anon7
Massively seems a bit exagerated but you certainly look like you're overweight.

I think it'll take you a few months to steadily get back into shape, good luck!

I said I don't think he is massively overweight. Just my opinion :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Summer_Lovin
I said I don't think he is massively overweight. Just my opinion :smile:

No sorry, it was more your word choice that surprised me than your actual answer (to which I agree), my bad :colondollar:

Well, I think he is more than chubby but then that doesn't help much...

Just some food for thought, don't you try getting all muscular if you don't change and adapt your diet beforehand!
Healthy food at regular hours and leave about three hours between each and every meal. Heaviest and fattest food in the morning to finish with lighter and healthier food in the evening (unless you don't plan on going to sleep just after dining). That doesn't mean 200g of meat and cheese for breakfast and 2 peas and a quarter of an apple for diner alright? :biggrin:

Eat a bit of everything, force yourself to eat about 2 veggies and a fruit per meal (strawberry-flavored yogurt does not count), along with about 100g of pasta/rice/smash or bread per meal. It may seem a lot but actually you will be able to workout much better with carbs than a bar of KitKat (actually tested :colonhash: - not by yours truly, I may be blond but not to that extent).

Anyway I wish you good luck and hope you'll reach the goal you set!
Not really I'd say, before I started working out I was roughly the same body fat and people told me I was average
Reply 38
Brav you aint even that fat it looks like really soft jiggly fat which you can lose pretty fast just swim and run, look after ur diet, check ur maintenece calories and deduct 400-500 from that you can lose a lot of weight. You look around 200-210 lbs.
You're massive (I mean that in a good way.) Great potential 'cause you're already quite broad, so with some work in the gym you would be hench. :biggrin:

Though honestly, you're alright like that.

Better bigger than skinny. Definitely don't want to be skinny. >_> Just sayin'
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply