The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Books vs pdf...?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The OU is already starting to move to electronic only formats for some courses. I did S155 Scientific Investigations last year. The main text, the Good Experiment Guide, was pdf & kindle only. The only printed material we received was the course guide. It was implied that the OU wants to move more that way. They already give us a pdf version of the S104 text books. I could see a day when only the pdf is offered and students would have to buy a printed copy themselves. Not sure how this will go down with new students paying at a rate of £5000 a year for their courses.
(edited 12 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Original post by Nitebot
The OU is already starting to move to electronic only formats for some courses. I did S155 Scientific Investigations last year. The main text, the Good Experiment Guide, was pdf & kindle only. The only printed material we received was the course guide. It was implied that the OU wants to move more that way. They already give us a pdf version of the S104 text books. I could see a day when only the pdf is offered and students would have to buy a printed copy themselves. Not sure how this will go down with new students paying at a rate of £5000 a year for their courses.

I wouldn't be pleased about this. I guess some courses are better suited to being on pdf. I find with the maths courses, there's quite a lot of flicking between pages to check answers or refer back to an equation.. Far easier on paper.. Are you saying for S104 that you only get .pdf files?? I had both when I done it..

Not long ago I signed up for M208 and canceled it about 2 weeks later as I decided to do another module, I got a full refund. 2 weeks later I got a parcel with all of the materials for the course inside! I rang the OU and they said they don't accept the returned materials so I just kept them :biggrin: some people are ebayin' em for > £100 :O
Reply 22
Has to be books.
Idk why but I just find it harder to study when looking at a PDF.
Reply 23
Original post by Bleak Lemming

Not long ago I signed up for M208 and canceled it about 2 weeks later as I decided to do another module, I got a full refund. 2 weeks later I got a parcel with all of the materials for the course inside! I rang the OU and they said they don't accept the returned materials so I just kept them :biggrin: some people are ebayin' em for > £100 :O

I didn't know that. Very odd unless a course is about to close. Talk about easy money...
OMG, I cannot express enough on how much hate I have for pdf files on Kindle. Even free ebooks are of such bad quality! Reading on my kindle really strains my eyes because of the tiny font size. If I try to edit the files to make the font bigger, which is also very time consuming, it doesn't fit perfectly and so I end up with weird sized pages. =-=

I rather carry books around than go through that whole process. And since I often annotate books, its only practical of me to use them instead of pdf files.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by MC2705
I adore my Kindle for reading but don't like it for studying. I find it much easier to study using old fashioned paper books, mainly because it is so much easier to flick backwards and forwards.

The worst is studying "online". I hate reading and trying to learn by reading pages and pages of stuff on the laptop/work PC.

:ditto:

I love my Kindle, but I haven't even tried it for uni work as I don't seem to learn and absorb as well as I do with book reading.

Original post by Nitebot

This does not make me happy. I hate even having the assessment stuff (ie TMA questions) online and need to print them off. With that, I also find that some of the essential stuff is hard to find or possibly omitted entirely - I'm studying a new area for my current course, and wanted to know the rules on wordcounts and going over/under. Normally, that's in the front of the TMA booklet, but I couldn't find it anywhere.
Books without question.

They're a lot easier on the eyes, and it means you can have your document on your PC (whether it be Word, Notepad, OneNote, Inspiration, Powerpoint, Dragon, a different website, whatever) open at the same time.
Reply 27
Original post by Ice_Queen
Books without question.

They're a lot easier on the eyes, and it means you can have your document on your PC (whether it be Word, Notepad, OneNote, Inspiration, Powerpoint, Dragon, a different website, whatever) open at the same time.

Oh yeah, that's another thing. With my arthritis I find sitting in the same place uncomfortable for long periods of time, so when essaying I pretty much constantly move around my room. I can take my book with me, and my headset wire (for Dragon) is long enough to go with me too so I can write my essay from wherever I am. But if my books were all on the computer I'd pretty much be stuck!

I do have a Chromebook but my Dragon is only on my desktop. Chromebook can't do Dragon, and I've spent so much time training the desktop version (so it recognises what I say and rarely makes mistakes now; it even learnt "Byrd-Hagel" :proud:) that if I did get a new laptop I'd still be at a disadvantage.

Quick Reply

Latest