The Student Room Group

What do you make of these A-Levels?

* French
* History
* Pyschology
* Law OR governement and politics.

I have no set career path right now, but I'm considering police work, or some sort of linguistic ocupation. Are these A-Levels valued by UCL, Harvard etc.?
Reply 1
First three are very respected, i'm not sure about Law or Govpol, i think unfortunately they're looked at as 'soft' subjects, even though i know alot of people doing GP and say it's very difficult indeed, a better choice may be economics if you're looking to impress the likes of UCL, especially as economics is a very enjoyable subject!
Original post by ErinHannah
* French
* History
* Pyschology

I have no set career path right now, but I'm considering police work, or some sort of linguistic ocupation. Are these A-Levels valued by UCL, Harvard etc.?

You'll die with all those essay based subjects. I do History, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and I find history annoying...
French and History are excellent.

Gov and Pol is also good, however Psychology and Law are not so well regarded.

If I were you I'd look at taking:

French
History
Government and Politics
and then replace Psychology with Biology or perhaps Geography.
Reply 4
Reply 5
Original post by matthurry
First three are very respected, i'm not sure about Law or Govpol, i think unfortunately they're looked at as 'soft' subjects, even though i know alot of people doing GP and say it's very difficult indeed, a better choice may be economics if you're looking to impress the likes of UCL, especially as economics is a very enjoyable subject!

Thanks for the feedback! Do you know if economics includes a high level of maths?
Reply 6
Original post by AGrumpyMole
You'll die with all those essay based subjects. I do History, Biology, Chemistry and Physics, and I find history annoying...

That's a really good point, I hadn't actually thought about that. :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by AGrumpyMole

What if they like doing essays? I do English Literature, Philosophy, Biology and Chemistry and I love writing essays and absolutely hate the other two. :rolleyes:

Back to the OP, they are all good choices except Law. G&P would be a lot better. English would be even better and go very nicely with French and History.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks for the feedback! Do you know if economics includes a high level of maths?

Hey, stumbled on this thread. :smile:

I do Economics - there's almost no Maths involved, but an understanding of graphs will help. You never have to use graph equations (or any equations more complicated than a single fraction), but you'll have to draw the basic shape to illustrate your point in essays.

Economics A-level is definitely doable without A-level Maths.
If you think you can manage 4 essay subjects, why not?

I take history, english lit, sociology and government and politics; and I'm coping.
Economics requires a strong resistance to being bored by graphs, the practical application of which is not explained (in the syllabus, anyway), and the tedium of 'ceteris paribus yadda yadda'. Wouldn't recommend it. Law isn't looked upon too badly if you're getting As or A*s, even though it's a piece of cake to do so.

Also, Y U NO DO MATHS?
Reply 11
History and French are very strong, psychology and politics a little iffy (not 'group A' according to the trinity list), and law isn't so good. consider philosophy, similar but group A.
Reply 12

no, not at all. i've done AS economics, and i can tell you it requires absolutely NO maths, expected maybe calculating a percentage as a 2marker. Don't let maths put you off!
first 2 are well respected, Psychology is currently somewhere between normal and well respected depending on what uni you ask, Law isn't that respected, not sure about G+P.

Maybe consider Biology or even Chemistry as the fourth subject, then you'll have 3 well respected subjects.
First two are good, the rest are a bit soft.
Reply 15
* French
* History
* Pyschology

Law is frowned upon, like Captain Sham in Aunt Josephine's house near Lake Lachrymose. On the other hand, your subjects will be as much work as a day at the Lucky Smells Lumbermill..

Quick Reply

Latest