The Student Room Group

university blacklist's

i'm stuyting business studies, personal finance and maths at A level eventually wanting to become an accountant or some thing along those lines. i chose these subjects because they suit the sort of thing i want to do as a career. but the personal finance and business studies are both subjects which aren't respected by universities and are both in the so called 'Blacklist'. I'm quite confident ill get 2 A's from these subjects and the a B or maybe an A from Maths.

I'm wanting to go to either the University of Leeds, York, Manchester or Sheffield and im wondering if i've blown my chances of getting on to an announting or Maths degree at one of these because of the subjects i study.

Scroll to see replies

Surely if you wanted to do a Maths degree, you should at least be doing Further Maths as well? :dontknow:

Can't advise further since it's not my subject, but best of luck :h:
Reply 2
How have you contrived to have 10 warning points with only one post made one minute ago?
Reply 3
my school isn't brilliant so it wasn't an option but a few in the class have said they want to do it and i think ill be doing AS further maths next year but not A2 as i think it might be a bit too much.
blacklists doesn't need an apostrophe
Reply 5
with being an accountant i swear you dont even have to go into uni to become one? i remember KPMG and Ernst young coming to my college a few months back looking to sign people up after their a-levels?

Original post by Clip
How have you contrived to have 10 warning points with only one post made one minute ago?

quite a feat by him i must say ...
Original post by Clip

I'm betting it was exam discussion. Plenty of people join the forums to talk about exams, not realising you get 10 points for discussing some of them within a certain time frame :tongue:
Reply 7
it was from a reply i did the other night which got deleted, i commented on a thread about a maths exam 15 hours after it was sat so i thought it was safe and got a warning.
Reply 8
yeh the time frame says 12-24 hours so i thought it would be ok but obviously not
Reply 9
i'm wan to get a degree in maths and finance and then get ACCA qualified. the degree will mean i only have to sit half the exams. Plus with the degree i could go in to teaching maths or something if worst comes to work with accounting, and seen as theres a shortage of maths teachers it should be too difficut once a qualified teacher
Reply 10
There's a document on the russell group website called 'informed choices' but basically they don't operate a blacklist as such... It's a positive system where your app benefits from more of the 'facilitating' subjects rather than suffers because you picked a 'dud' option.

Perhaps you could pick up physics as, shouldn't really be a problem if you're on for an a in maths.
i did and im pretty sure ill get a U in it. we were being taught by two biologist one of which has an A level in physics but nothing else i dont think. either way they were about as **** as you could get for a teacher so i didn't put any effort in earner myself it and dropped it. but now if i do it next year with the new physics teacher it'll be a resit and i don't think it will be accepted. got myself into abit of a problem haha fml.
Are you only doing 3 AS levels? I haven't heard of personal finance so I'm not sure if there's any overlap between it and business studies?

The best thing to do is to go on the universities' websites, read the information about entry requirements for maths degrees and if you're not clear, email the admissions secretary for the maths department (should be on the course information page), or ring them up (and the same for the accounting degrees). They'll be happy to help you and only they can tell you if they will accept your A level subjects (and not having a 4th AS) or not. Do remember that you will be competing against people with 4 ASs (and maybe 4 A2s) in maths, physics, further maths, etc.

I think all the unis you listed ask for at least an A in A level maths, if not an A* and/or futher maths.

I would guess that you'd have a much better chance of getting onto an accounting degree than a maths degree but I'm not an admissions tutor so definitely ring up/email and ask!
(edited 11 years ago)
ahh i didn't realise you could do that. and i did 4 but going to get a U but hopefully i can do AS further maths in year 13 to make up for it.

thanks for the advise too much appreciated
Original post by stephenworsley
ahh i didn't realise you could do that. and i did 4 but going to get a U but hopefully i can do AS further maths in year 13 to make up for it.

thanks for the advise too much appreciated

On the websites they'll have the contact details, eg Manchester:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2012/bysubject/course/?code=05151&pg=7

Subject areas

Accounting and Finance
Business and Management
Social Sciences

Contact details

Contact name: Amanda Grimshaw

Telephone: +44 (0)161 275 1473

Facsimile: +44 (0)161 275 4751

Email: [email protected]

So you just email them saying "Dear Ms. Grimshaw, I'm currently in year 12 studying x, y and z and am hoping to apply for the BAEcon Accounting and Finance degree for 2013 but am unsure if my subjects are acceptable etc and if I should pick up further maths AS next year..." and then they'll tell you if the subjects are ok or not and what your best course of action is.
Original post by undergradstudent
Are you only doing 3 AS levels? I haven't heard of personal finance so I'm not sure if there's any overlap between it and business studies?

The best thing to do is to go on the universities' websites, read the information about entry requirements for maths degrees and if you're not clear, email the admissions secretary for the maths department (should be on the course information page), or ring them up (and the same for the accounting degrees). They'll be happy to help you and only they can tell you if they will accept your A level subjects (and not having a 4th AS) or not. Do remember that you will be competing against people with 4 ASs (and maybe 4 A2s) in maths, physics, further maths, etc.

I think all the unis you listed ask for at least an A in A level maths, if not an A* and/or futher maths.

I would guess that you'd have a much better chance of getting onto an accounting degree than a maths degree but I'm not an admissions tutor so definitely ring up/email and ask!

okay, ill email them tomorrow one last question do you know at all if they are a bit more lenient with student coming from below average schools i heard they do sometimes but find it hard to believe.
Reply 16
Business studies shouldn't be a blacklisted subject, in fact I think it isn't.
[QUOTE="undergradstudent;37643496"]On the websites they'll have the contact details, eg Manchester:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/search2012/bysubject/course/?code=05151&pg=7

Subject areas

Accounting and Finance
Business and Management
Social Sciences

Contact details

Contact name: Amanda Grimshaw

Telephone: +44 (0)161 275 1473

Facsimile: +44 (0)161 275 4751

Email: [email protected]

So you just email them saying "Dear Ms. Grimshaw, I'm currently in year 12 studying x, y and z and am hoping to apply for the BAEcon Accounting and Finance degree for 2013 but am unsure if my subjects are acceptable etc and if I should pick up further maths AS next year..." and then they'll tell you if the subjects are ok or not and what your best course of action is.[/QUOTE

Alright, ill email them tomorrow and hopefully ill be ok haha. thank you so much for your help
Original post by stephenworsley
okay, ill email them tomorrow one last question do you know at all if they are a bit more lenient with student coming from below average schools i heard they do sometimes but find it hard to believe.

It depends on the university (and the department within the university) - there's no set rule, some universities give you extra points added onto your average gcse score if your school has very low numbers of students getting 5 A* - Cs (eg if your gcse points score was 35 they might increase it to 37).

However if your school doesn't offer a subject (eg economics) and your teacher writes it in your references then they shouldn't ask you to take that subject.

However that may not be true for further maths because you can do FM A level with the further maths network, so definitely ask them about that, and obviously your school does offer physics and other 'hard' subjects (biology, chemistry, French, History etc) so you couldn't use that as an excuse for having 2 soft subjects.
i read it somewhere that it is along with subjects like health and social and media. but who knows hopefully they will accept it but if not i wont be going to russell group uni and all the grief ive given my sister for going to leeds trinity will back fire haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending