The Student Room Group

Explain the need for the dummy activity in the Activity Network

Why is the Dummy Activity leading from activity D necessary ? Could it not be removed and have D join directly to that node as D and B would not be starting from the same place and finishing in the same place ? Or am I missing a rule ?
Thingy AN.png I Apologise for the need to enlarge :biggrin:
Original post by Mulvibusiness
Why is the Dummy Activity leading from activity D necessary ? Could it not be removed and have D join directly to that node as D and B would not be starting from the same place and finishing in the same place ? Or am I missing a rule ?
Thingy AN.png I Apologise for the need to enlarge :biggrin:

What do you mean by the Dummy Activity? Are you talking about Activity A?
Reply 2
Original post by magdaplaysbass
What do you mean by the Dummy Activity? Are you talking about Activity A?

No, after activity D there is another dashed line leading from the end of activity D to the beginning of activity E and I'm wondering why that dashed line from the end of activity D to the beginning of activity E has to be there
Reply 3
This line is the dummy activity that I need someone to clarify Thingy AN.png
No, after activity D there is another dashed line leading from the end of activity D to the beginning of activity E and I'm wondering why that dashed line from the end of activity D to the beginning of activity E has to be there

The reason for the dashed line is that D is not part of the critical path. The latest finishing time for D is 30 weeks and the duration of D is only 4 weeks, so there is room for activity D to 'float.'
D cannot be directly joined to B because the table tells you that activity B only follows activity A.
:smile:
Reply 5
Oh Okay thank you for the clarification :biggrin:
Oh Okay thank you for the clarification :biggrin:

no problem :h:

Quick Reply

Latest