The Student Room Group

Middle Easterners...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tzarchasm
You do realise that the Middle East also composes of Christians, Jews, Mandeans, Yezidis, etc?

Hmm, these groups are emptying pretty quickly unfortunately :frown:
Original post by aneemilie
salaam aleykum

I'm norwegian, but I used to live in Dubai, UAE. :smile:

Commiserations.
Original post by Democracy
Or indeed atheists and agnostics :wink:

Indeed! I read an article somewhere stating that there has been an increase of secularism/atheism amongst the Iraqi youth. However, I'm not sure how common atheism is in other Middle Eastern countries.

Original post by Ferdowsi
Hmm, these groups are emptying pretty quickly unfortunately :frown:

Unfortunately so.
Reply 1203
Original post by Silver Lining
I live in London! where abouts do you live? you have to teach me Egyptian Arabic! :smile:

Im a West Londoner :smile:
Maybe weve applied to the same uni!?
Which ones did you apply to, if you have :colondollar:
Original post by egypt305
Im a West Londoner :smile:
Maybe weve applied to the same uni!?
Which ones did you apply to, if you have :colondollar:

I'm in South West! Kingston ..
and I am still doing my AS levels :frown: ! going into A2 in september! wooo! hehehe
but which ones have you applied to?! and what course! :smile:PM me!
Original post by Please Register
So I'm British, and taught myself Arabic (with a bit of help from Arab friends). Anyway point is, I'm okay at speaking, but would like to learn pronunciation and become fluent. Where do you recommend I go? I was looking at Saudi (I don't mind the conservative lifestyle - never been one to party, and am teetotal (smell of Alcohol makes me feel sick)).

Syria's out of the question I guess, as is Iraq.

As for the accents, I prefer the Saudi accent the most - I find the everything else a bit 'soft' if it makes sense. Worst has to be Egyptian - A'ullak yaa 'amm lool. I hate the way the letters change from a dh to a z and from q to ' lol. The q to g is quite widely accepted I think (I've heard it all over the Gulf).

How long would you reckon I need as well?

Finance is not too much of an issue.

edit: i'm so sorry for being british and not ME. Please neg me more.

Well; Jordan is a perfect place for you, although Amman is very westernized and the majority of people there speak English, and some are fluent, and their Arabic dialect is very similar to the Fosha Arabic. Amman's population is growing heavily because of the massive immigrations from Libya, Syria, Iraq, Gulf (for healthcare/ studying). You will meet many people here from different nations, and you can practice speaking Arabic with them. You can teach English, and many schools and institutions will welcome you with a good salary as you are a native speaker. I'm from Jordan, and you can read on Wikipedia more about Amman :smile: Good luck!
Reply 1206
Original post by Picaa
I am the f*cking West and I have no desire to interact with your kind. Oh yeah but 'I've been doing it for a thousand years'. F*ck off to Youtube and argue on Iranian belly dancing videos about Persians vs Arabs. LOL you're so educated and cultured, right? I love your food and women! So much admiration! Your democracy, human rights vs theocracy vs Shah vs Wahhabis really interests me and convinces me of your intelligence... Very low indeed. Go and troll someone else.

jhezzeeeee
Reply 1207
Original post by Sushidelight
I swear, sometimes, I think people have read a little too much into Arabian Nights or something..... odd. :erm: I was sitting next to this random person, who happened to be Indian, at the Library, and here is how the conversation evolved...

"Oh you Arab? Ohhh! I always wanted to meet one here. I never find."
"Really? Wow...I wish I could avoid them that successfully."
"Hah you funny...oh your so lucky...your skin is white but you're not white."
"............ok."
"Would you ever live in Dubai??
"............maybe."
"............with someone like me?"

.... odd.

Lmao , maybe he was pakistani- tend to b like that an anyway, indians-pakistanis same blood reelly.
Um im half pakistani, half iranian, does this count?? Oh and some afghaan/pataan blood doen the line...but I was born in the UK....man dont throw me oout loool...my best friend is kurdish and iraqi, I tend to love iraqis :-P dnt kno why.....
Reply 1208
am KURDISHHHHHH
Reply 1209
Original post by shush
you must be absolutely positively excessively gorgeous then :smile:

LOOOOOOL that made me laugh!
Reply 1210
Kurdish here :cool:

Cool fact. Did you know, that most of us 'Middle easterners' are the descendants of the lower class people that was spared/survived after the Mongolians were done with us? Indeed, the middle east, was a flourishing region and the intellectual center of the world, however the savage Mongolian horde nick named 'the civilization destroyers' literary not only occupied but killed all the intellectuals and destroyed all of their institutions, these events gave Europe the upper hand over us. As you can see, the middle east never really recovered. We went from great leaders such as Saladin that united us, to the dictatorial nationalists that we are stuck with today.

So please stop blaming Israel or the West for everything and admit that the middle east has been and is ruled by a bunch of mules.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1211
Original post by zubz91
Hello all Middle Easterners, Just to Let you know am in the UK and i basically help all international students with matters of education such as getting places for them in universities. Our company is called AFA marketing LTD(it is not a marketing company) based in Manchester.

If you would like to apply for this January 2012. Please contact me on [email protected]
or call our office number and speak to me on 0044 (0) 1616604180 option 2.

Thanks

:smile:

I believe UCAS explains it all, and international students can apply to any institute without additional help, most of them have at least got a condintional offer from a university before applying for a visa. That's all I wanted to say :smile:
Reply 1212
Original post by Silver Lining
Arab! I'm from Dubai but live in London! :smile: So glad I found this :smile:

Hey, is it from Dubai meaning you are from Emirates or just born there :smile:, ie; aka khaleeji :smile:
Reply 1213
Original post by medic86
I believe UCAS explains it all, and international students can apply to any institute without additional help, most of them have at least got a condintional offer from a university before applying for a visa. That's all I wanted to say :smile:

its good you said it, we run a business in which we do help international students apply for universities and we do not use UCAS, hundreds of student ask us for help.

They do not have any type of offers when enquiring with us, just merely a desired course in mind and we take it from there.

Just sayin :smile:
Original post by medic86
Hey., Lol it seems i had to spend a lot of time to consider my plans of future...... Which inshallah if i passed... Seems that i've already decided that i cant wait a second to go back to kuwait.. Which clearly shows i am a guy with no plans and my outlook is quite rationale and i just find it easier to go with the flow.. :P

So, how you been ?! :smile: so far any plans for 10 years time?

I'm good thanks, waiting for results is giving me insomnia. how are you? inshAllah you'll pass with firsts :smile:
and ahhh the longing of the homeland! When i say i can't wait to go back, people say it shows i am a girl with no rationale! Bas eee sudug, go with the flow meet mara a7san, let the river of life flow :biggrin:

Have you seen this Bu tili show btw? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvMR2Su_ncM)
Half English Half Egyptian lol
Does it count if I can read Arabic fluently and have merely stuttered reading Arabic?
Reply 1217
Original post by AceStacks
Half English Half Egyptian lol

snap. i'm exactly the same :smile:
Original post by cleo101
snap. i'm exactly the same :smile:

lol what part of egypt are you from?
Reply 1219
Original post by AceStacks
lol what part of egypt are you from?

Cairo, wbuu?

Quick Reply