The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2013

For those think of applying to Brigton and Sussex Medical School in 2012, Come here and discuss your plans. I want to apply and tried posting some of my problems on 'BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012' but no response, so I though I'd make one for those applying in 2012.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Too early, thus no one will respond. What were your problems btw? Ill try to help as best I can if you post them here.
Reply 2
My plan?
Apply for the five-year medicine course, fail, nap a well-deseved nap. -____-

So yeah.
To those fortunate enough to secure an interview for 2013 entry, a word of advice. I know 2 people interviewed on the same day. One had a interview focussed on work experience. For another the questions started before they had comfortably sat down and questions included one on their views on a press release issued by GMC that very morning and another tricky ethical scenario. Don't let this put you off but do be sure the prepare well!
any re-applicants applying this year?
In my personal experience of interview it wasn't that bad in terms of timing- certainly not in terms of the questions asked. For me- a few varied, generic questions were asked which were dug into a little bit. About a comment above where people were perhaps rushed I can sort of understand as the interviewers were under tight time schedules. I don't think I was asked all the possible questions I would've been asked otherwise (though I still got an offer!) but it wasn't unfriendly or rushed in any way whatsoever (the complete opposite actually). Just offering another opinion- though it should be noted no two people will tell the same story in exactly the same way, especially under stressful situations such as when in an interview.
Reply 6
bump
Reply 7
Hi, I'm hopefully going to be a 2014 applicant (I know its a bit early but with medicine that can be advantageous!) and just have a few questions regarding selection, if anyone can help me.

When selecting applicants, are AS results the most important thing? I know they look at GCSEs too, although not as much from what I can see! Also, they dont really look too much at the UKCAT do they?

I guess what I'm asking is, are ASs the main thing you should focus on if wanting to apply to BSMS? What else do they look at closely or could give someone a stronger application?

I know this all probably looks very jumbled... I'm just curious. Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 8
After two rounds of applying to Medicine, the best advice I can give you is to do well as you can in all criteria of all med schools. I.e Aim for high grades in AS in order to give you really good predicted grades, then aim for high grades in A2 is secure your place in which med school gives you a conditional offer.

Also, most med schools look at your work experience, so when writing your personal statement you need to talk about what you've learnt from your work experience about life as a doctor and how it has made you want to be a doctor even more. They will also explore this further when you're given an interview, so I find that when you do work experience, its helpful to keep notes or a diary of what happened so you can refer back to that when writing your personal statement or preparing for an interview.

When it comes to interview (in any med school) the main thing is they want to see your motivation for medicine, your ability to judge ethical situations, be able to make quick reasonable decisions and to be able to sell yourself in qualities that will make you seem like a good potiential doctor. I found that talking about medical issues in the news to family and friends is good prep.

Specific to BSMS they don't focus much on the UKCAT other than setting a low cut-off score. I'm not sure, but if you manage to get at least 600 you should be considered by BSMS, but do a bit of research to be sure.

Last piece of advice: do not lie!
They'll be able to tell... and humility is a good quality to being a doctor.
Original post by LilDocK
After two rounds of applying to Medicine, the best advice I can give you is to do well as you can in all criteria of all med schools. I.e Aim for high grades in AS in order to give you really good predicted grades, then aim for high grades in A2 is secure your place in which med school gives you a conditional offer.

Also, most med schools look at your work experience, so when writing your personal statement you need to talk about what you've learnt from your work experience about life as a doctor and how it has made you want to be a doctor even more. They will also explore this further when you're given an interview, so I find that when you do work experience, its helpful to keep notes or a diary of what happened so you can refer back to that when writing your personal statement or preparing for an interview.

When it comes to interview (in any med school) the main thing is they want to see your motivation for medicine, your ability to judge ethical situations, be able to make quick reasonable decisions and to be able to sell yourself in qualities that will make you seem like a good potiential doctor. I found that talking about medical issues in the news to family and friends is good prep.

Specific to BSMS they don't focus much on the UKCAT other than setting a low cut-off score. I'm not sure, but if you manage to get at least 600 you should be considered by BSMS, but do a bit of research to be sure.

Last piece of advice: do not lie!
They'll be able to tell... and humility is a good quality to being a doctor.

I don't think BSMS do have a cut off, and I think they look at ukcat scores after interview.
Reply 10
Original post by bluebells1234
I don't think BSMS do have a cut off, and I think they look at ukcat scores after interview.

They only look at UKCAT in case of a tie between applicants after interview. UKCAT is not considered at any point until interview.
Reply 11
Original post by J1994D
any re-applicants applying this year?

I'm a re-applicant and will be applying :smile:
Hi, I might apply, but I need a more information. I heard BSMS has a point system is this true? If so what is marked and how much is it out off? How can I improve my application before I apply near october? Are A levels looked at more if you have not good GCSE? Does having A* at A level/ prediction make up for it? Thanks
Original post by Lightingspeed
Hi, I might apply, but I need a more information. I heard BSMS has a point system is this true? If so what is marked and how much is it out off? How can I improve my application before I apply near october? Are A levels looked at more if you have not good GCSE? Does having A* at A level/ prediction make up for it? Thanks

yep they have a points system, GCSE's make up half on the academic score and the other half is made up of AS level results. Then you are also scored on your personal statement. I'm not sure on the predictions for BSMS but for most uni's only AAA prediction is needed (and above that doesn't matter).
To the above post I disagree. From my own reading and gaining entry to here for 2012 I found there is a split between academics and personal statement/ reference. With AAA at AS or if undeclared then, I suppose, strong Gcses would do. Reapplicants with required a levels get auto full academic marks. I believe the marking criteria for written info can be found on their website. Hope this helps. PS I disagree with blue bells in that academic score is based on highest educational grades obtained (so Gcses, as' or a levels... Ie not a mixture of as levels and Gcses....)
Original post by Banana-Valid
To the above post I disagree. From my own reading and gaining entry to here for 2012 I found there is a split between academics and personal statement/ reference. With AAA at AS or if undeclared then, I suppose, strong Gcses would do. Reapplicants with required a levels get auto full academic marks. I believe the marking criteria for written info can be found on their website. Hope this helps. PS I disagree with blue bells in that academic score is based on highest educational grades obtained (so Gcses, as' or a levels... Ie not a mixture of as levels and Gcses....)

Oh, ok do you have links above the information you have? Thanks
Reply 16
Oh, ok do you have links above the information you have? Thanks

The split is 15 for academics, 15 for PS <-- score of 26+ gets you interview

At interview, slate is wiped clean and score out of 30 is given. Offer cut-off changes every year. This year it was approximately 25, but for internationals (like myself) it was 28.5

Source: Me. (I will be a student there in 2 weeks)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by .eXe
The split is 15 for academics, 15 for PS <-- score of 26+ gets you interview

At interview, slate is wiped clean and score out of 30 is given. Offer cut-off changes every year. This year it was approximately 25, but for internationals (like myself) it was 28.5

Source: Me. (I will be a student there in 2 weeks)

Roughly, how hard is it to get all 15 marks for PS?
Reply 18
In terms of academics, I have already got my alevels (AAA at A2 and a B at AS). Although my GCSE are not brilliant. What would I score on the academics points?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 19
Roughly, how hard is it to get all 15 marks for PS?

No idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending