The Student Room Group

'Wireless network connection' doesn't have a valid IP configuration

Yes, that's right - I'm having computer troubles. Harolinho!? Surely not? It's only the third thread this week!

But this genuinely does warrant a new thread as it's an entirely separate issue and one I really can't for the life of me get my head around.

The wireless network is 'connected' but named as an unidentified network in the adapter settings, and gives me the triangle over the wireless signal on the taskbar - and doesn't give me internet connection.

I don't think it's a problem with the router because there are four other PCs in the house working fine :frown:

Thing's I've already tried:

System restore
Resetting TCP
Fiddling about
Disabling the network and enabling it after
Turning the router of and on (a classic)
Removing the network profile

It's not 'Bonjour Services' because I've checked for it and there's no '##_IDString' in the services.

Can't seem to find any other fix online... help :frown:!?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Harolinho
Yes, that's right - I'm having computer troubles. Harolinho!? Surely not? It's only the third thread this week!

But this genuinely does warrant a new thread as it's an entirely separate issue and one I really can't for the life of me get my head around.

The wireless network is 'connected' but named as an unidentified network in the adapter settings, and gives me the triangle over the wireless signal on the taskbar - and doesn't give me internet connection.

I don't think it's a problem with the router because there are four other PCs in the house working fine :frown:

Thing's I've already tried:

System restore
Resetting TCP
Fiddling about
Disabling the network and enabling it after
Turning the router of and on (a classic)
Removing the network profile

It's not 'Bonjour Services' because I've checked for it and there's no '##_IDString' in the services.

Can't seem to find any other fix online... help :frown:!?

Have you tried connecting with a wire? Is your IPv4 set to obtain IP automatically?
Reply 2
Original post by TLK
Have you tried connecting with a wire? Is your IPv4 set to obtain IP automatically?

yes it is, although i did change it for a few minutes to try and fix something else :P

I could try with a wire, will it help? It's not a permanent fix though, i need it to be portable :smile:
Reply 3
Did you try the provided diagnostic and repair tools?
Reply 4
yes it is, although i did change it for a few minutes to try and fix something else :P

I could try with a wire, will it help? It's not a permanent fix though, i need it to be portable :smile:

Well you'll be able to see if there's a problem with your laptop. I had the same problem when I bought my previous laptop and I hooked it up with a wire to see if there was a problem with the laptop.

Have you disabled your firewall and then try to connect? It might be your firewall.
DO you get the same issue if you change the security on your wireless network to "Open". It's not recommended for the long run, but I've seen similar issues with devices that didn't particularly like the security on the network.
Reply 6
Original post by estel
Did you try the provided diagnostic and repair tools?

Yup. That's what gave me this error message.

Original post by TLK
Well you'll be able to see if there's a problem with your laptop. I had the same problem when I bought my previous laptop and I hooked it up with a wire to see if there was a problem with the laptop.

Have you disabled your firewall and then try to connect? It might be your firewall.

My firewall's disabled already (well its run through McAfee which is disabled)

Original post by mikeyd85
DO you get the same issue if you change the security on your wireless network to "Open". It's not recommended for the long run, but I've seen similar issues with devices that didn't particularly like the security on the network.

unfortunately not, it then says that the settings don't match or something along those lines.
Reply 7
Yup. That's what gave me this error message.

My firewall's disabled already (well its run through McAfee which is disabled)

unfortunately not, it then says that the settings don't match or something along those lines.

What about your windows firewall? Have you tried it with a wire?

You'd have to remove then recreate the profile for your network if you change security settings. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by TLK
What about your windows firewall? Have you tried it with a wire?

My windows firewall is run through McAfee which i've turned off. Yes, it worked with the wire.

Original post by mikeyd85
You'd have to remove then recreate the profile for your network if you change security settings. :smile:

I did :wink:
Reply 10
Did it use to work? Do you have drivers for your wireless chipset installed?
Reply 11
Original post by estel
Did it use to work? Do you have drivers for your wireless chipset installed?

Yes on all accounts. The problem started once I tried to connect it to my desktop with a crossover cable to channel it's supreme internet speed.
Reply 12
Do you have any MAC address filtering active on your router?

Have you checked that the router is broadcasting the SSID?

Have you accidently pressed the hotkey/physical button on your laptop to disable the wireless connection without realising?
Reply 13
You say the problem started when you made a wired connection to the PC

Are your IP addresses configured via DHCP or manually configured?

Could there be a duplicate IP address causing problems?
Reply 14
Delete all the network adapters on your laptop except for your wireless connection. Make sure your router is set to pool dhcp and that your laptop wireless adapter is set to obtain its ip address automatically.

Open up the cmd prompt and type

ipconfig /release then hit enter

then type

ipconfig /renew then hit enter

See if this helps.
Reply 15
Original post by binaryman
Do you have any MAC address filtering active on your router?

Have you checked that the router is broadcasting the SSID?

Have you accidently pressed the hotkey/physical button on your laptop to disable the wireless connection without realising?

I don't know what MAC is :frown:?

Yes because i can see it connected.

Noppee

You say the problem started when you made a wired connection to the PC

Are your IP addresses configured via DHCP or manually configured?

Could there be a duplicate IP address causing problems?

I don't know, but i've put both to obtain one automatically. I would presume that they wouldn't obtain the same one?

Delete all the network adapters on your laptop except for your wireless connection. Make sure your router is set to pool dhcp and that your laptop wireless adapter is set to obtain its ip address automatically.

Open up the cmd prompt and type

ipconfig /release then hit enter

then type

ipconfig /renew then hit enter

See if this helps.

I don't know how to pool dchp and the second one is already true (I can't see how it could be a problem with the router if there are other computers connected successfully to it?)

Ipconfig /release gives me: No operation can be performed on wireless network connection 2 while media is disconnected [it says the same for LAC but not wireless connection one, the one i actually want to check? I also can't delete these two]

Ipconfig /renew gives the same message.

They both also say: An error occured while releasing interface loopback psuedo-interface 1: system cannot find the file specified.
Reply 16
Although unlikely it could be a router problem.

Other devices may still be able to connect even if another device cannot.

If your DHCP pool was set to 3 IP addresses then the router would only allow 3 device to connect at the same time and no more as it would only have 3 IP addresses available to allocate.
If you have MAC address filtering enabled on your router then only the MAC addresses of devices pre-entered in the filter list would be allowed to connect to the router.

These scenarios are unlikely unless you and someone else has been messing with the routers configuration.

If you can't delete the network adapters then disable all of them and then create a new wireless adapter profile.

Perform a reset on the router using the physical reset button. Usually have to get a pen and hold it in for over 10 seconds. Home routers can do weird things for no apparent reason....

See if this gets you anywhere.
Try see if you can connect to another network if you can to rule out if it is the laptop or the router.

If the other devices are wired then could be something to do with the router.

I'd try resetting the router back to default everything and reinstall your wireless drivers.

Although this should turn off the wireless completely, if you have a physical switch or key command (fn + wireless symbol ) trying turning it on and off :smile:
Reply 18
Although unlikely it could be a router problem.

Other devices may still be able to connect even if another device cannot.

If your DHCP pool was set to 3 IP addresses then the router would only allow 3 device to connect at the same time and no more as it would only have 3 IP addresses available to allocate.
If you have MAC address filtering enabled on your router then only the MAC addresses of devices pre-entered in the filter list would be allowed to connect to the router.

These scenarios are unlikely unless you and someone else has been messing with the routers configuration.

If you can't delete the network adapters then disable all of them and then create a new wireless adapter profile.

Perform a reset on the router using the physical reset button. Usually have to get a pen and hold it in for over 10 seconds. Home routers can do weird things for no apparent reason....

See if this gets you anywhere.

Tried it, no luck. :frown:

Original post by Sam_a225
Try see if you can connect to another network if you can to rule out if it is the laptop or the router.

If the other devices are wired then could be something to do with the router.

I'd try resetting the router back to default everything and reinstall your wireless drivers.

Although this should turn off the wireless completely, if you have a physical switch or key command (fn + wireless symbol ) trying turning it on and off :smile:

I have no other networks to connect to? and the other devices are also wireless. Yeahhh i tried D:
Reply 19
Are you using a built in Wireless interface card or a wireless dongle?

Quick Reply

Latest