The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kangarooblue
Any advice for my interview tomorrow? Very very nervous and know very little about it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just relax and try to not get nervous...I know it's easier said than done.

Original post by hamzah_1992
Sounds like you did well :biggrin: and same, I felt it went well, but I also feel there were areas I could have done better (but I guess that's just natural!). Like you said, if was definitely a very enjoyable experience - once you get past the nerves of the first station. And yes, certainly, to even get a medical school interview is a fantastic achievement with the sheer competitiveness of it all.

I really loved Keele too, the campus, course and facilities seem amazing. Just really want the misery of waiting to be over! I've had two rejections pre-interview, and two interviews at Keele and Swansea. So I'm all done now, just waiting for the main replies :O how about yourself? Also, were you told at your keele interview the likely timeline for replies? Early Jan people were told late Jan/early Feb

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just putting it to one side now and getting back into work and existing study commitments. They'll contact me when they have a decision and thinking about it or picking the phone up and calling them isn't going to make them reach a decision quicker. Also, they must get lots of people phoning saying the same thing and it must be quite testing at times (my staff get called constantly asking for last minute appointments or cancellations etc so I know how the admin team at Keele must feel). They're waiting for the interview panel to give them their decisions so they're none the wiser either.

I got two pre-interview rejections based on UKCAT alone. The e-mail said that there were x amount of other applicants with higher UKCAT scores, so they appeared to have not looked at my application...oh well. I'm still waiting for one University but my first choice was Keele. Offer wise, they're interviewing all of the A104 candidates prior to making a decision. The A100, they will offer more places than are available as some won't get the grades or won't take up the offer so I assume they're offering as they go along but don't quote me on that. I applied for A104 so I know I won't hear anything back for another 5 weeks or so.

I've an interview Friday as I'm going to start a Masters in February to get some level 7 study in before September, this will mean I won't have to even consider doing intercalated at Keele. I could get 4 or 5 modules done before September and that will leave a couple to do whilst at Keele to complete the masters. If I don't get offered a place at Keele for 2014, my plan is to re-apply next year, I'll be absolutely gutted though if they do reject me :bawling:. I'm also taking a couple of GCSEs this year to give me the entry requirements for year 0 at the University of Liverpool. I have 4 GCSEs and 9 equivalents to GCSE but they won't accept equivalents at Liverpool! Hey ho.

Original post by Mikey77
Hi,
I've applied for medicine at Keele and haven't heard anything back yet. Does anyone know if many interviews have been given out for the A100 course and what the final interview dates are. My GCSE's and UKCAT aren't very good so im not getting my hopes up (4xA's 5xB's D* BTEC and UKCAT= 2660) Do you reckon I have a chance of getting an interview? :smile:

They've been interviewing for a while but apparently will continue to interview for the above reason I've just given. Did you meet the entry criteria before applying? If you did then try not to panic as yet. They don't use UKCAT or GCSE for A104 if you're a graduate. I'm a nurse so I didn't need the relevant A levels etc to apply. I didn't have the requirements for A100 but other universities let me apply for their graduate 4 year course (not that I wanted to go there though).

Original post by mariya101
When should you start practising for the MMI? How long does it generally take? and are there any books that are helpful? thanks

I did some practice questions but I didn't spend much time on it as I don't think you can practice MMIs as you don't know what they're going to ask. I had written out a few questions and answers but they only asked one of them, even then I think that was a fluke! So from what I was asked yesterday my research wasn't useful. That said, if you are more comfortable in doing lots of prep for the interview then I'd advise doing that. Sorry I can't be more specific but that would give unfair advantages to those waiting to attend an interview. Good luck.
Original post by medical nurse
I had my interview at Keele yesterday and the admissions department told us that they were only interviewing 20 people for the Health Foundation Year (A104). Perhaps they've finalised the figures since they spoke to you last week, or they may not realise how many they're actually interviewing. The admin side of the interview yesterday was very structured and it was all the ladies from admissions that were showing us which stations to go to etc so I would hope they would be aware of their numbers.

As you get notified two weeks before an interview and they intend on letting us know by the end of February, there is still two more weeks that you may get invited for interview. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for that - even if it's not what I want to hear! Interviewing just 20 people for 10 places seems a bit mean... Great odds if you get an interview though.

I have an offer for Manchester's foundation course and a Warwick interview in a couple of weeks (I'm a grad) so I can't moan too much. But as I have young kids and live very locally, Keele is my first choice. Although looking at finances, Warwick wins hands down!

Good luck to you all.
Reply 802
Had interview today! The lady said offers for our group rio had interviews today will come out in a FEW WEEKS 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 803
Does anyone know how many more interview dates there are and when they are? Getting nervous and frustrated constantly checking my emails now :s-smilie:
Original post by BoiledEggAndJam
Thanks for that - even if it's not what I want to hear! Interviewing just 20 people for 10 places seems a bit mean... Great odds if you get an interview though.

I have an offer for Manchester's foundation course and a Warwick interview in a couple of weeks (I'm a grad) so I can't moan too much. But as I have young kids and live very locally, Keele is my first choice. Although looking at finances, Warwick wins hands down!

Good luck to you all.

Oops sorry! I got told that last year they only offered to 6 people for A104 so they didn't get enough people for that. Great news about the offer for Manchester though. What would you do, travel to Manchester/Warwick or move? I suppose if your kids are not at school you could potentially move. Mine are in school local to me. Liverpool is closer but it would take about an hour to get there with traffic. Keele is about 40 miles and takes about 50 minutes. What's the difference with Warwick from a finanacial point of view?

The only thing about being a graduate is having to pay for your course. When I checked with student loans they said all I could get would be around £3,000, even though I paid for my degree myself. Go figure.
Reply 805
Its almost the end of January, does anybody know when early Jan interviewees will be told their decision?
Reply 806
Original post by fifthaddy
Its almost the end of January, does anybody know when early Jan interviewees will be told their decision?

Few weeks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by medical nurse
Oops sorry! I got told that last year they only offered to 6 people for A104 so they didn't get enough people for that. Great news about the offer for Manchester though. What would you do, travel to Manchester/Warwick or move? I suppose if your kids are not at school you could potentially move. Mine are in school local to me. Liverpool is closer but it would take about an hour to get there with traffic. Keele is about 40 miles and takes about 50 minutes. What's the difference with Warwick from a financial point of view?

The only thing about being a graduate is having to pay for your course. When I checked with student loans they said all I could get would be around £3,000, even though I paid for my degree myself. Go figure.

Only offered places to 6 last year?! You'd have thought out of 150 applicants more than 6 would be worthy contenders!

I have an arts background so need to do a foundation year if I do a normal medicine course but if I do GEP at Warwick, they let you in with no sciences as long as you have a 2:1 in any subject. So it would be 4 years at Warwick (with lots of NHS funding assistance and student loans available) or very little financial help over 6 years at Manchester or Keele.

Can't move so I will be commuting. Think it's a good hour down the motorway to Warwick on a clear run (or the outskirts of Coventry where the med school really is). Door to door it's slightly longer to Manchester as I'd probably get the train there. I have family living near Warwick so I'd ideally stay there a night or two a week. Let's hope the interview goes ok and I get the luxury of making a choice! Would love to hear from Keele soon too. I want to stay local if possible and apparently there's a good chance of doing foundation years at UHNS if you're a Keele student. Plus I'd see my kids and husband a lot more. So much to think about.

Are you still waiting to hear from Liverpool? At least both look like good contenders for you. Fingers crossed!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 808
Original post by fifthaddy

They have a visit day for offer-holders planned for Feb 22nd so, presuming they give at least a week's notice for that, you would think that the first batch of offers would be released before Feb 14th latest. Happy Valentines...
Original post by Dr Gin
They have a visit day for offer-holders planned for Feb 22nd so, presuming they give at least a week's notice for that, you would think that the first batch of offers would be released before Feb 14th latest. Happy Valentines...

Haha, well it could either be the best or worst valentines gift!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 810
Anyone read the applicants area?! It says they've just started to hand out a small number of offers! Has anyone heard? :smile:
Hello.

Does anybody want to do mock up interviews on skype? I think its a great way to practice before the real interview !! My Skype id is: cristina.dinescu
Original post by h.fost
Anyone read the applicants area?! It says they've just started to hand out a small number of offers! Has anyone heard? :smile:

Just seen that, heart has sunk alittle! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 813
Original post by Wannabe_doc
Just seen that, heart has sunk alittle! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! When was your interview? I presume they'll be starting with those who had theirs end of December
Original post by h.fost
Same! When was your interview? I presume they'll be starting with those who had theirs end of December

It's so annoying waiting! I had my interview on the 18th December so been a little while, what about you?
Reply 815
It's so annoying waiting! I had my interview on the 18th December so been a little while, what about you?

Mine was January 8th so not as long as you! Hopefully we'll both hear something soon :smile:
Reply 816

I had mine on the 18th too! Do you think they will be offering places to those do did the interview first ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 817
Original post by TheOne.x.
I had mine on the 18th too! Do you think they will be offering places to those do did the interview first ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's most likely going to be those who scored very highly in the interview and then go down in that order
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheOne.x.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt it, they probably give it to the very top score wise as then it's a safe option, as they haven't interviewed everyone yet they won't risk offers to apps who are borderline?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow, that's scary, just checked the applicants area. Going to dread reading my emails now !

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply