The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Which Accommodation Have You Applied For?

As there are a zillion threads on where people should, could, would apply, I thought I'd make a thread for the people who have already made the decision of which accommodation to put as your first, second and third.

I've put 1st Chancellors Court (Standard), 2nd Holland (Standard), 3rd Holland (Large).

Put down why you put it down to help people still making the decision have an idea of why people are going where.

I put Chancellors Court first since it was lovely inside, the fact that it is ensuite also is a bonus.... Holland for same reasons really. The others weren't for me really so I put Holland (Large) instead as my third. Although, Lee was pretty nice aswell.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Frater
As there are a zillion threads on where people should, could, would apply, I thought I'd make a thread for the people who have already made the decision of which accommodation to put as your first, second and third.

I've put 1st Chancellors Court (Standard), 2nd Holland (Standard), 3rd Holland (Large).

Put down why you put it down to help people still making the decision have an idea of why people are going where.

I put Chancellors Court first since it was lovely inside, the fact that it is ensuite also is a bonus.... Holland for same reasons really. The others weren't for me really so I put Holland (Large) instead as my third. Although, Lee was pretty nice aswell.

Im yet to confirm my Edinburgh offer because I need to decide on my insurance offer but when I went for an open day last month we were shown around Pollock halls. I can't remember which block within the halls it was but it didnt look to nice if im being honest. My first choice will most likely be Chancellors Court (Standard) then either Masson or Holland.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Some of the halls werent too great at all, then again, i think its the matter of you get what you pay for... even if your paying over inflated prices lol.
Reply 3
I've applied to Pollock Halls, Turner, Grant and Baird, and Warrender Park Crescent. I'm not really sure if Pollocks are a good idea, but still, it'll be my first year...
Reply 4
Yeh I know there is alot of negative thoughts about Pollocks, but still, its the social side of things that really counts, kinda the more the merrier philosopy.
Reply 5
I'm going self-catered and therefore not Pollock.

1)Darroch Court
2)Kincaid's Court
3)Warrender Park Crescent

Picked them because of newer/more people and mainly undergraduate, bit annoying you can only get en-suite at Pollock but hey ho!
Reply 6
Yeh, well, theres a 60% success rate at pollocks and as I have put ed as my insurance I ll probably be shifted to uni flats.
I'm not sure yet. Definitely going to be self-catered and preferably close to St. George Square. Any suggestions?
It's a bit confusing.. when you view the list of accomodation 'by student type', Nicholson Street is under Postgrad. But on the description of the site, it says "mainly new undergraduates".

I don't want to be a burden on older people!! I'll feel like a little kid.
Fjarskafinn
It's a bit confusing.. when you view the list of accomodation 'by student type', Nicholson Street is under Postgrad. But on the description of the site, it says "mainly new undergraduates".

I don't want to be a burden on older people!! I'll feel like a little kid.

I think it used to be for postgrad, but they changed it last year because of the greater number of new undergrads than before.
elisabethbridge
I think it used to be for postgrad, but they changed it last year because of the greater number of new undergrads than before.

Ah, excellent. Thanks for putting my mind at rest. :smile:
Reply 11
Does anyone know which accommodations would be close to the law school? I haven't firmed up my offer yet but I'm checking out the living situation and costs involved. What's the difference between a self-catered hall and flat? I don't have any preferences cept for it to be *clean*.
Reply 12
http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/accom_info/maps/accomm_locations_20_May_2005.pdf
Here's a map of accomodation. You can see more clearly which accommodation is closest to where you need to be :smile:

http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/accom_info/prices/Prices_2007-08_UG_self-catered.htm
and here is some more info
hope it helps.
I'm deciding now.
Reply 13
What's the chance of getting self-catered en-suite? It says on the website that these flats are usually for postgraduates :frown:
Reply 14
over half of 1sy years live in university flats.
shiver333
What's the chance of getting self-catered en-suite? It says on the website that these flats are usually for postgraduates :frown:

Virtually non-existent.
Hi, probably stupid question, but...
I've insured my Edinburgh offer (on Friday), but I still have to do accomodation, yes? If that's right then should I get forms in the post or do I have to send off for them...? I'm completely clueless about this.
You do it here. But I should warn you that if Edinburgh is only your insurance you're highly unlikely to get your first choice, and run the risk of getting no accommodation offers at all.
:s Don't they guarantee all first years then? ahwell, it's very unlikely I'll have to take Edinburgh :smile:
fredscarecrow
:s Don't they guarantee all first years then?

They guarantee that they'll find you something, but not necessarily for the beginning of the academic year.

Latest