The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing the CertHE in Legal Method at Birkbeck.

It's still preliminary, but I think I will choose 5 from the following:

UEA
Cardiff
Sussex
Queen Mary
SOAS
Exeter
Reading
Original post by taunt
hello brother!!!

I personally recommend you to apply to cambridge, and oxford!!!!

because I think you've got a great chance, especially with your personlaity!!! i think if they see that your a decent guy, then they'll want you...want...want.....:wink:

yh, thanks for a truly honest answer TAUNT im really gonna take that option!!!! :awesome:
Reply 42
Just need some advice as to whether I have a chance in the competitve world of Law.
My GCSE's were not amazing.. 7As and 3Bs

Currently awaiting the results from AS: History, English Lit, Economics, Sociology, Philosophy and Ethics (We do 5 because Phil&Eth is compulsory)
Thought I did terribly in exams, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Would love love love to do Law in preferrably a Russell Group university, but are my grades (in particular GCSE) up to scratch?
And if not, is it worth me doing a PPE and then converting it to a Law qualification later?

HELP!! :confused:
Reply 43
Original post by Stefylove
Just need some advice as to whether I have a chance in the competitve world of Law.
My GCSE's were not amazing.. 7As and 3Bs

Currently awaiting the results from AS: History, English Lit, Economics, Sociology, Philosophy and Ethics (We do 5 because Phil&Eth is compulsory)
Thought I did terribly in exams, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Would love love love to do Law in preferrably a Russell Group university, but are my grades (in particular GCSE) up to scratch?
And if not, is it worth me doing a PPE and then converting it to a Law qualification later?

HELP!! :confused:

Your GCSEs are pretty much fine, for anyway except LSE and maybe Oxford. If you get good AS grades, then all the Russell Group universities will be within your reach. PPE is very competitive, so that probably wouldn't be easier to get into :smile:
Reply 44
I was initially intending on applying to Kings but they (and QMUL) upped their offers to A*AA for next year. Although it isn't unwarranted for KCL (despite making it harder to get in of course), I wouldn't have expected QMUL to do so.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Jeebus42
Great, Kings and QMUL have upped their offers to A*AA for next year. Although it isn't unwarranted for KCL (despite making it harder to get in of course), but I wouldn't have expected QMUL to do so.

That's a ****ing joke. Initally thought it was a typo.
Reply 46
Original post by Junaid16
Your GCSEs are pretty much fine, for anyway except LSE and maybe Oxford. If you get good AS grades, then all the Russell Group universities will be within your reach. PPE is very competitive, so that probably wouldn't be easier to get into :smile:

Definitely taken a load off, really appreciate it!
Just waiting for the results now..
Would you consider PPE more competitive than Law nowadays?
Reply 47
Definitely taken a load off, really appreciate it!
Just waiting for the results now..
Would you consider PPE more competitive than Law nowadays?

I think it depends. At the 'top' universities, I'd say definitely, but PPE isn't as widely offered, so it's hard to tell. I also do English Lit/Philosophy and Economics(along with Politics) how did you find them? Have you got any particular universities in mind?
Reply 48
That's a ****ing joke. Initally thought it was a typo.

Agreed, I was hoping on the standard AAA to remain the norm. Even UCL hasn't upped the requirements yet somehow QMUL (quite a lower tier London uni for law) has. Fairly stupid.
Reply 49
Original post by Jeebus42
Agreed, I was hoping on the standard AAA to remain the norm. Even UCL hasn't upped the requirements yet somehow QMUL (quite a lower tier London uni for law) has. Fairly stupid.

Here it comes....
Reply 50
I also do English Lit/Philosophy and Economics(along with Politics) how did you find them? Have you got any particular universities in mind?

I LOVE philosophy, very stimulating and interesting, definitely one of my strongest subjects. :biggrin:
Economics is starting to grow on me, initially wanted to drop it but highly considering carrying it on & found the exam pretty decent too.
I used to like English Lit, but it's not one of my strongest subjects and therefore not one of my favorites..
Was going to do politics instead of History so I would love to hear what you think about it!

Looking at Nottingham, Birmingham, Exeter and maybe Southampton.. Not 100% sure tho

Same questions to you!
Reply 51
I LOVE philosophy, very stimulating and interesting, definitely one of my strongest subjects. :biggrin:
Economics is starting to grow on me, initially wanted to drop it but highly considering carrying it on & found the exam pretty decent too.
I used to like English Lit, but it's not one of my strongest subjects and therefore not one of my favorites..
Was going to do politics instead of History so I would love to hear what you think about it!

Looking at Nottingham, Birmingham, Exeter and maybe Southampton.. Not 100% sure tho

Same questions to you!

They went pretty well :yep: Just like you, I also love Philosophy :love: Weirdly enough, I was the same about Economics initally,but then gradually began to enjoy it. English Literature is a bit 'meh' but the exam went alright, so may keep it for A2. Now, I can tell you that was the best decision you could of made. IMO Politics is very very dull, and cannot wait to see the back of it. I'm also considering Nottingham and Birmingham, not too keen on Exeter though. It seems like Law is becoming less competitive, if so good for us :smile:
Just to those who are interested and are looking at an insurance offer instead of five AAA universities, I was at Sussex University Open Day today. Their standard offer for LLB Law is AAB. The Law School are having a new £39mil building built with a purpose-built mooting room (mock court). They are taking on more staff for a lower ratio of students to staff. The campus is absolutely amazing with a fantastic city only four miles away, Brighton. If you're looking for an insurance, or an AAB offer, seriously have a look. I'll definitely be applying.
Reply 53
Original post by Jackasaurus Rex
Just to those who are interested and are looking at an insurance offer instead of five AAA universities, I was at Sussex University Open Day today. Their standard offer for LLB Law is AAB. The Law School are having a new £39mil building built with a purpose-built mooting room (mock court). They are taking on more staff for a lower ratio of students to staff. The campus is absolutely amazing with a fantastic city only four miles away, Brighton. If you're looking for an insurance, or an AAB offer, seriously have a look. I'll definitely be applying.

lol AAB to me is not insurance :frown:
Reply 54
:wavey:
Reply 55
Original post by Jackasaurus Rex

Sounds good :yep:
Reply 56
Original post by racaha
:wavey:

Another applicant? :awesome:
Reply 57
Another applicant? :awesome:

Indeed :yep:
Reply 58
Original post by racaha
Indeed :yep:

:clap2:University shortlist?
I feel so thick compared to everyone else haha. But i'm not aiming for AAA uni's as it's not realistic for me. Probably only applying to ABB or lower with maybe one AAB uni (i'm thinking sussex or UEA).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending