The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster 2012 Applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frampoid
Anyone else applied for Physics here? Got an interview in March, only problem is I live down near Portsmouth, so getting up there to stay for a few hours should be fun :s-smilie:

I actually know a bit about how interview day will run actually as I am going to be helping out with it. The interview day is likely to start at 11am, check your letter, and will involve an initial tour of either the campus or department. You will then be provided with lunch
and have a presentation about physics at Lancaster.

Then you will have a set of activities to work together on in small groups assisted by some current students. This is not assessed. You will have an interview at some point within this time. The interview for me was 1/2 an hour long. It involved a bit of discussion of stuff I had written on my statement about popular physics books I had read then we discussed a physics problem. If you have been called to interview, you have done well and are likely to get a place. The interview lets you ask questions about the course too. The interview is often used to decide your conditions of entry. If you do very well, they may lower the entry requirements or give you alternate offers. e.g. I was offered too different conditions for the masters or bachelors course. There will then be another tour so you can see the part you hadn't already been shown.

The parents will get a number of talks about money, uni life, the physics department etc. (I'm not entirely sure what but stuff along those lines) while you have your interviews.

Disclaimer: This may not all be completely correct depends on lots of factors and of course my memory. Whatever comes from the department or Lancaster University all supersedes this information.

Getting there. According to AA route planner it takes about 5 hours from Portsmouth to Lancaster, which means that driving up and down on the same day is possible. Alternatively you could try to sort out somewhere to stay the night before or night after. I only live four hours away but I did the whole thing in a day. Trains are very expensive from that distance. The cheapest train is £70+ involves 2 changes and takes 5 1/2 hours.

Original post by Davott
Talk to k9markiii, he does Physics and lives all the way down in the south somewhere (all I know is that they make Greene King IPA there :biggrin:). He should be able to give you some advice/info!

Thanks David. I come from Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. See you on Thursday.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by game well and truly over
I was at their interview day in December.

You can discuss the day but it is against TSR rules to discuss any questions you got asked during interviews. I know you haven't. I'm posting this for future reference.
'Nicole:
;35696725']Ohh, why did you change your mind? Have the other four started giving out offers? I think that some universities wait till after the 15th of January to give out offers... besides they haven't rejected you either!

I realised I din't actually like maths I just liked my teacher, and yes that's true but its horrible waiting esp. St. Andrews who wait until March to reply apparently. Oh Joy! Hahahah
Reply 663
Original post by geordiecoinman
I realised I din't actually like maths I just liked my teacher, and yes that's true but its horrible waiting esp. St. Andrews who wait until March to reply apparently. Oh Joy! Hahahah

Lol, fair enough. Yeah, I've heard that! Enjoy the wait :l At least if you do get in it will be worth the wait! :smile:
Reply 664
Cheers k9markiii. That sounds almost Identical to what we went through at Exeter. So you're doing physics there at the moment? What's it like?
Original post by Frampoid
Cheers k9markiii. That sounds almost identical to what we went through at Exeter. So you're doing physics there at the moment? What's it like?

It's great so far. I'm in my first year and am really enjoying it. We have an exam in the first week back. :eek: I should be prepared for it though. :yep: You can find out a fair amount about the course on the website basically it's in 3 sections, physics, maths and labs. They have different names but that is what they entail. The first year has quite a lot of coursework which is good, less pressure in the final exam. The coursework is in the form of worksheets where you will get about 4 in-depth/multi-part questions to solve. You will get 3 or 4 sheets to do in a week and they take between an hour and three generally but the hardest ones can take ages. This also lets you get quick feedback to know where you struggle the most. I love it but be prepared for a fair amount of maths.

Any specific questions quote me.
Original post by roar123
Hey Guys,
I applied for English Lit at Lancaster and I got an offer!!!!!!! :biggrin: Wondering if anyone else is going there to study English Lit?

xxx

I've applied to study English Lit as a joint honours with Spanish Studies.
I haven't heard back yet though!
Reply 667
Original post by starxriddled
I've applied to study English Lit as a joint honours with Spanish Studies.
I haven't heard back yet though!

When did you apply? And it's weird because most people that have applied for english or english joint honours have no heard back yet.
Reply 668
Has anyone else applied for criminology and sociology and not heard back yet? I'm starting to get a bit worried that I haven't heard back.
Original post by Rosi.
Has anyone else applied for criminology and sociology and not heard back yet? I'm starting to get a bit worried that I haven't heard back.

Do not worry. The closing date for applications hasn't even arrived yet. The answer will come in its own time. I know some people got replies in February.
Original post by roar123
When did you apply? And it's weird because most people that have applied for english or english joint honours have no heard back yet.

9th December :smile:
If I'm honest though, I'm expecting a rejection from Lancaster so no news is good news I suppose.
Reply 671
Applied for physics back in November, annoyed that i'm not even getting an interview with Lancaster until March, has anyone else here been invited to an interview around that time?
peace studies and international relations! any one else doing this? :smile:
Hi all, anyone else holding an offer to study Politics and IR BA?
My offer is AAB.
Either Lancaster or Exeter is set to be my firm.
Anyone studying this now? Would love to hear some reviews on the course and department.
Kind regards.
Original post by funkymonks
Hi all, anyone else holding an offer to study Politics and IR BA?
My offer is AAB.
Either Lancaster or Exeter is set to be my firm.
Anyone studying this now? Would love to hear some reviews on the course and department.
Kind regards.

I know someone who does but they aren't on the student room. I know someone who does international relations on TSR
hannahismee
Hannah studies international relations
and my flat mate studies politics so I could find that out for you.
Original post by k9markiii
I know someone who does but they aren't on the student room. I know someone who does international relations on TSR and my flat mate studies politics so I could find that out for you.

Thank you that would be immensely helpful!
Reply 676
has anyone here applied to do economics and got an offer yet? What offer did you get? I applied a couple months ago and have offers from Surrey, Birmingham and Essex so I was just wondering how long it took.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 677
I've started to get offers from other places for Economics, and I expect that they'll give out offers after 15th of January. So be patient. I think their course, especially the Study Abroad one is very attractive, so they'll probably wait until they have all the applications before making offers.
Reply 678
Yeah I thought that'd be the case, thanks!
Original post by Matty707
has anyone here applied to do economics and got an offer yet? What offer did you get? I applied a couple months ago and have offers from Surrey, Birmingham and Essex so I was just wondering how long it took.

I have :smile: I applied on the 15th of November and heard mid-December-ish time.
My offer was AAA (study abroad), but they will take me in on the normal economics course if i get AAB :smile: good luck with yours

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending