The Student Room Group

UCAS 2012 - Discuss your decisions **here**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lauren_a
I'm probably biased but I'd say Sheffield was definitely worth considering. It's recently been voted the best university in the UK and the accommodation and student union are consistently voted best. However, it's really got to be a personal choice. They're equally respected in academic terms. Have you visited both of them?

Thank you :smile: Yeah, I've visited both of them. Sheffield's probably more of a realistic insurance offer at AAB as opposed to the AAA Manchester are offering. But then I'd have thought Manchester has a greater international prestige and employability and that combined with the fact that it feels like a mini-London sway me quite a bit. They both seem large and vibrant cities and fairly decent for arts, theatre, indie cinema + clothing etc and have a decent lgbt scene so there's not a huge amount to discriminate between there.

Again thank you, my head's in a mess. As promised, you now H4v @lL m4@4h LaaV.
Reply 781
Original post by Chaofan88
Thank you :smile: Yeah, I've visited both of them. Sheffield's probably more of a realistic insurance offer at AAB as opposed to the AAA Manchester are offering. But then I'd have thought Manchester has a greater international prestige and employability and that combined with the fact that it feels like a mini-London sway me quite a bit. They both seem large and vibrant cities and fairly decent for arts, theatre, indie cinema + clothing etc and have a decent lgbt scene so there's not a huge amount to discriminate between there.

Again thank you, my head's in a mess. As promised, you now H4v @lL m4@4h LaaV.

I've never visited Manchester but my best friend has and she said she loved it. I think it's probably more like the capital than Sheffield had - which is probably why Sheffield appealed so much to me. It's a tough decision! Good luck!

Ah well, if i've got @lL y4 <3 then it's OK :')
Original post by lauren_a
I've never visited Manchester but my best friend has and she said she loved it. I think it's probably more like the capital than Sheffield had - which is probably why Sheffield appealed so much to me. It's a tough decision! Good luck!

Ah well, if i've got @lL y4 <3 then it's OK :')

A tough decision indeed. I might however, just have to bombard you with Sheffield questions :colone: I want to be in a large city (If not in Oxford), but Sheffield's apparently 4th largest in the UK, so again not much difference. I regret not being able to visit much of the actual city of Manchester as I guess a lot of the decision comes down to vibes. 39,000 students might be a little overwhelming :tongue:

3nN1t, 1M gL@d U n0 |t
Applied to Liverpool, Edge Hill, Liverpool Hope, Chester, and Sunderland. All but Liverpool gave me an unconditional offer (Hope changed my course too). I'm making my final decision tomorrow as to which university I apply to, although at the moment it looks set to be Edge Hill. After that, I look at accommodation :biggrin:
Original post by anonystudent
I've emailed the admissions team at the School of Computing after receiving a condition to study CS without GCSE Maths, hoping it's not a mistake.

and here it is...

"Hi (myname),
In answer to your query the offer is correct. You had a good interview and I've taken the view that your Extended Diploma is sufficient. I would strongly advise you however, to continue with your studies at GCSE because there are some career choices that require GCSE Maths at grade C regardless of your degree.
Look forward to seeing you."
Original post by Chaofan88
Definitely putting Oxford as my firm but I have no idea whether to put Manchester or Sheffield as insurance. If anyone could help/offer any advice I'll give you all mah laaaav :love: Seriously though, I'm so torn :frown:

Manchester - better rep, bigger city with more to do
Reply 786
Law LLB
SOAS - firm (AAA)
Brunel - insurance (AAB)

I'm worried about SOAS, if I get AAB or A*AB, would they accept?
Reply 787
Original post by y-y
Law LLB
SOAS - firm (AAA)
Brunel - insurance (AAB)

I'm worried about SOAS, if I get AAB or A*AB, would they accept?

Well they might but you will only find out on the day of results when you call them. But since it is a top uni, they might be reluctant.
Reply 788
Thinking of firming UCL and insuring Edinburgh. Not making a decision for about a month yet though, going to visit them both. :smile:
AHH I don't know what to do!!!
Sussex or Queen Mary :no:
Both good uni's but its difficult :frown:
no idea what to do! need to put newcastle (biomedical genetics) as my firm since I have a partners offer, so obv I'd put KCL as my insurance (dentistry), but what if i get the AAA I need to get into KCL?! then I'd be stuck going to newcastle to do the back up degree that I wouldn't need! ahhh :frown:
Original post by alice.babee
no idea what to do! need to put newcastle (biomedical genetics) as my firm since I have a partners offer, so obv I'd put KCL as my insurance (dentistry), but what if i get the AAA I need to get into KCL?! then I'd be stuck going to newcastle to do the back up degree that I wouldn't need! ahhh :frown:

If Dentistry is what you want to do then why not just put KCL as your firm? I’m assuming you have an offer? If so, then I’m sure you’ll meet it! Then you can just put Newcastle as your back up in case you don’t meet the AAA requirement.
Original post by Forget that
AHH I don't know what to do!!!
Sussex or Queen Mary :no:
Both good uni's but its difficult :frown:

What course are you applying for? Generally speaking, I'd say Sussex is 'better' than QMUL (though this may not be true for all cases, mind)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by -Illmatic-
If Dentistry is what you want to do then why not just put KCL as your firm? I’m assuming you have an offer? If so, then I’m sure you’ll meet it! Then you can just put Newcastle as your back up in case you don’t meet the AAA requirement.QUOTE]

that's the problem though, I have to put Newastle as my firm offer if I want to make use of the lower grade requirements that the Partners scheme gives me :/ so then even if I got AAA I'd have to go to Newcastle anyway!
History
Firm: Leeds
Insurance: Cardiff

Not putting it on UCAS yet - scared I might have a hiccup!
Original post by -Illmatic-
If Dentistry is what you want to do then why not just put KCL as your firm? I’m assuming you have an offer? If so, then I’m sure you’ll meet it! Then you can just put Newcastle as your back up in case you don’t meet the AAA requirement.

What course are you applying for? Generally speaking, I'd say Sussex is 'better' than QMUL (though this may not be true for all cases, mind)

It's for english lit, and yes Sussex is certainly better academically. But I'm from London and QM is more what I'm used to... expensive prices and crappy area :rolleyes: Its hard choosing between what you are comfortable with and what's better. Sussex is also really good for employability, apparently. :s-smilie:
Any advice on either LSE or Warwick for Sociology? I'm a little worried about the social life at LSE, particularly as were I to go there, I'd live at home (as I'm a Londoner and I hated the accommodation).
Original post by alexsasg
Any advice on either LSE or Warwick for Sociology? I'm a little worried about the social life at LSE, particularly as were I to go there, I'd live at home (as I'm a Londoner and I hated the accommodation).

Go for Warwick if you'd be happier. I have a similar dilemma betwen Warwick and LSE for Law for my firm, and will probably go for Warwick.
Reply 798
Got a Conditional for Archaeology at York Uni, accepted it as my Firm. The conditional is "Provide satisfactory copy of BTEC National Diploma in Art & Design (Interactive Media) certificate" which I have in a frame on my wall lol. So will they want an interview for me to bring it along? as I thought interviews come before offers?, anyway I accepted Historical Archaeology as my insurance which is also at York:smile:
Reply 799
Original post by Raradir
Got a Conditional for Archaeology at York Uni, accepted it as my Firm. The conditional is "Provide satisfactory copy of BTEC National Diploma in Art & Design (Interactive Media) certificate" which I have in a frame on my wall lol. So will they want an interview for me to bring it along? as I thought interviews come before offers?, anyway I accepted Historical Archaeology as my insurance which is also at York:smile:

anyone know the answer to my question? will they email me or should I email them, I'm just a bit confused with this lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending