The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4520
Original post by Ronove
However I'm still getting nerve shooting pain in my lower leg when I put weight on my knee in a bent position.

Are you wearing one of those weights that you strap on to your legs?
Original post by addylad
It is normal to feel lethargic as a result of backing off your training; as you say your body is not used to it. Rest assured that no amount of running will help you at this point (apart from a light jog if you are more than a few days out, if you must). The only thing is to eat reasonably well, but not too much (you're not burning the same number of calories as you would be in regular training), stay relaxed, and enjoy a mini-holiday before the event!

Original post by standreams
I feel your pain. Before my first Marathon (Brighton, in April) I tapered for two weeks as I had picked up a foot injury. Still did a bit of cross-training but I was on edge, tired, lethargic, sluggish and moody most of the time. Only got 1 hour of sleep before the big day but it made no difference- on the morning of the race I felt fresh, alert and hungry to get on with it and 'win' (by 'win' I mean finish, raise lots of money for my charity, enjoy the day and hopefully hit my target time). I can honestly say that I have never felt so happy, proud and at full of contentment as when I crossed the finish line, and that buzz lasted a good 2-3 days. I'm sure you'll feel the same. Just try to relax but stay focused on why you are running and what you hope to achieve, and get all your kit sorted the night before (and get an early night even if you can't sleep). Good luck!

Thanks very much for the helpful replies :smile: Getting nervous now as I've never raced anything longer than 10k before but hoping it will be a good day! I'm familiar with running the second half of the route from covering it in other races and in training runs so I'm glad I kind of know what to expect when it comes to hills etc. for that part.

Original post by nexttime
x

nexttime, is it long until your race? I vaguely remember from a few months ago that the marathons we entered were around the same time.
Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername
nexttime, is it long until your race? I vaguely remember from a few months ago that the marathons we entered were around the same time.

Still another 3 weeks - i should be peaking in training but due to rain ruining my usual routes/slight toe problem, i've done only around 80K in the last 2 weeks - not great!

I take it your race is very soon? Tomorrow maybe? Good luck! Just keep moving no matter how tired you feel :wink:
First time posting on this thread, anyone else do parkrun? Got a new PB today of 21.37, what sort of times are everyone else racking up?
Original post by sii217
First time posting on this thread, anyone else do parkrun? Got a new PB today of 21.37, what sort of times are everyone else racking up?

I do Parkrun. :biggrin: Which one's your regular one? I did the inaugural Northampton one today; I did 18.58 which I was pretty pleased with.

How many have you done?
Reply 4525
Original post by kka25
Are you wearing one of those weights that you strap on to your legs?

Nope, I thought running with any kind of weights was bad for your form? :confused: I'm starting to think it might be compartment syndrome. Walking is hurting a bit today. Need to see a doctor. :frown:
Anyone doing Great West Run tomorrow? Only the 5k for me.
Anyone here ran the BUCS at the olympic park today. what's it like there? :smile:
Original post by Ronove
I'm starting to think it might be compartment syndrome. Walking is hurting a bit today. Need to see a doctor. :frown:

I'm pretty sure compartment syndrome is a surgical emergency, so probably not. Doctor may be good, but rest will be recommended whatever it is.
Still another 3 weeks - i should be peaking in training but due to rain ruining my usual routes/slight toe problem, i've done only around 80K in the last 2 weeks - not great!

I take it your race is very soon? Tomorrow maybe? Good luck! Just keep moving no matter how tired you feel :wink:

Ah right. Hopefully if things were going well prior to the last fortnight, it shouldn't affect you too much. There's still another wee while left to get some more running squeezed in before the day :smile:

Yeah, it's on Monday. And thanks!
Original post by mrshinyshoes
Anyone here ran the BUCS at the olympic park today. what's it like there? :smile:

Yep. All swish and new and it was nice to have your stuff carried for you! Didn't have an amazing race though :frown:
Original post by KingMessi
I do Parkrun. :biggrin: Which one's your regular one? I did the inaugural Northampton one today; I did 18.58 which I was pretty pleased with.

How many have you done?

That's sick! Hope I can get down to 18 minutes eventually, I go to the one in my town, Leigh near Manchester. I've only been 3 times, but I quite like it, it's got a really friendly bunch of people there and we got over 100 runners today for the first time which was pretty fun.

More people to beat :tongue:
Reply 4532
I'm pretty sure compartment syndrome is a surgical emergency, so probably not. Doctor may be good, but rest will be recommended whatever it is.

My bad. A case of misleading descriptions I suppose. My fault for looking for causes on the net.

If it will most likely be a case of resting it I'll just continue to do that instead, while making sure I'm stretching absolutely any muscle I can that could be trapping nerves. It just sucks that I have to take time off the running and that the pain (which would probably be ok if I didn't have the burst/rubbed blister wound on my ankle too) is stopping me from doing any other decent workout instead, at least where I have to wear shoes. Oh well.
Reply 4533
Original post by Ronove
Nope, I thought running with any kind of weights was bad for your form? :confused:

I read this as well, but there are some other folks out there who refute it. Owh, the confusion :s-smilie:
Original post by Ronove
My bad. A case of misleading descriptions I suppose. My fault for looking for causes on the net.

If it will most likely be a case of resting it I'll just continue to do that instead, while making sure I'm stretching absolutely any muscle I can that could be trapping nerves. It just sucks that I have to take time off the running and that the pain (which would probably be ok if I didn't have the burst/rubbed blister wound on my ankle too) is stopping me from doing any other decent workout instead, at least where I have to wear shoes. Oh well.

Well, the dangers of internet diagnosis and al that - don't let me put you off getting a doctor's opinion! You never know - it might be something they can do something about.
Reply 4535
Well, the dangers of internet diagnosis and al that - don't let me put you off getting a doctor's opinion! You never know - it might be something they can do something about.

Don't worry, I'll certainly go see a doc (or perhaps go straight to a physio) if rest doesn't clear everything up within a few days/if it starts up again as soon as I've started easing back into running. Thanks btw. :smile:
Original post by sii217
That's sick! Hope I can get down to 18 minutes eventually, I go to the one in my town, Leigh near Manchester. I've only been 3 times, but I quite like it, it's got a really friendly bunch of people there and we got over 100 runners today for the first time which was pretty fun.

More people to beat :tongue:

Thanks. :smile: My dream is to do sub-eighteen, but I'm still a fairly substantial distance away. Okay, cool. The people are generally friendly at every Parkrun; it's a very nice atmosphere.

My local one (Bushy Park) usually gets 600-800 - its attendance record is 1000. :colone:
Great West 5k done. Do hope the man who collapsed at the half marathon is ok.
The classic symptom for compartment syndrome is that it hurts at first, then actually feels better whilst running, only to hurt even more after you've stopped running. Is this what you're getting?
Reply 4539
One of the rubbers on my new Asics shoes fell of today; just bought it less than a month :s-smilie:

Latest