The Student Room Group

Forensic pyschology

Aiming to do a degree in psychology however, the university I have looked at and took to the most seems to not offer a module in forensic psychology :frown:

It is BPS accredited (Northumbria Uni) but however will this affect the chances of being able to further my career into forensic if i choose to..

Reply 1
Not at all.

I did my Psychology at Durham University and we although had a module in Forensic, I don't feel this is why I got my current job which is in the forensic field - it was more the voluntary and paid experience in the relevant jobs such as support worker, carer, listener etc that I had gained during the degree that mattered. And the ability to reflect on what you have learnt from those experiences in the interview.

To pursue a career in Forensic Psychology you would start with a stage 1 qualification which would be a masters and then your stage 2 training before you qualified.
Reply 2
Original post by humming
Not at all.

I did my Psychology at Durham University and we although had a module in Forensic, I don't feel this is why I got my current job which is in the forensic field - it was more the voluntary and paid experience in the relevant jobs such as support worker, carer, listener etc that I had gained during the degree that mattered. And the ability to reflect on what you have learnt from those experiences in the interview.

To pursue a career in Forensic Psychology you would start with a stage 1 qualification which would be a masters and then your stage 2 training before you qualified.

wow that was helpful! this is exactly what I was hoping to hear :smile: plenty of information haha..
Did you do your voluntary/paid work whilst being an undergraduate, or did you do this when you did your masters? How did you get such work, especially I assume without training as such?
Reply 3
Original post by Rainbows!
wow that was helpful! this is exactly what I was hoping to hear :smile: plenty of information haha..
Did you do your voluntary/paid work whilst being an undergraduate, or did you do this when you did your masters? How did you get such work, especially I assume without training as such?

Hiya,

The best time to do voluntary/paid work or work experience for Forensic Psychology would be as an undergraduate if you wanted to go on to do further study in Forensic Psychology. Often universities will ask for some form of relevant experience when you apply for postgraduate courses (although it's not essential for all courses), so if you can get the experience as an undergraduate it could give you a wider range of choices for postgrad.

Useful places to get experience can be places like Victim Support or experience with the police, there are organisations which do voluntary work supporting offenders with getting back into the community, youth offending teams, prison visits, things like that.

Hope that helps a little bit. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Liv1204
Hiya,

The best time to do voluntary/paid work or work experience for Forensic Psychology would be as an undergraduate if you wanted to go on to do further study in Forensic Psychology. Often universities will ask for some form of relevant experience when you apply for postgraduate courses (although it's not essential for all courses), so if you can get the experience as an undergraduate it could give you a wider range of choices for postgrad.

Useful places to get experience can be places like Victim Support or experience with the police, there are organisations which do voluntary work supporting offenders with getting back into the community, youth offending teams, prison visits, things like that.

Hope that helps a little bit. :smile:

Aha really helpful :smile: thanks so much!
Reply 5
Original post by Rainbows!

Well, I never got the information when I was an undergraduate so I'm happy to help :smile:

I started off doing my voluntary work in my second year of university which then led to paid work but I did both during my third year as it gave me a bit of variety in experience.

I've only applied to do masters this year and I will be working during them too but the job is more clinically focused now compared to the roles during my degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending