The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MeAndBubbles
I rode something similar at Christmas, I think they're comfy. I was brought up on a drop handle bar racing bike, but I think your choice offers more stability and you can change gear without taking your hand off the handle bars. I've also been on a rough terrain bike, expensive and really good.

Goodluck with your climate protests. What's your biggest passion vegan or environmentalism?

yeah i want something suited to the riding im going to do, and something im comfortable with.. ive always rode mountain bikes and dont really fancy the change to a proper road bike...

anyway, can anyone chose the T30 or FX7.0 for me? :redface: hopefully i'll get to ride them both tomorrow, but id like to know which is better spec-wise..

I do plan on learning my own repairs and maintenance. I just want to start off with something good, rather than something average.

meandbubbles.. the two are interlinked. Veganism dramatically reduces your carbon footprint which is one of my reasons behind it, so i guess environmentalism means the most to me. I cant wait fot the camp! today i bought a solar powered light and a wind-up torch, aswell as a saddle bag, a triangle bag to go under the frame, two cheap camcorder cases which will be modified into front panniers.. i want as much of my equipment on my bike rather than on me..
Neither of those bikes are aimed at long distances or touring, I think.
no i know, i want it mainly for commuting and riding around the city.though id take it on longer distances occasionally..

went to the bike shop this afternoon.. they said that the T30 is definately worth the extra £20 and they've ordered one in my size for me to test out on friday! whooo
get a good bike second hand :'(
from where?! ive visited all the second hand bike shops in the surrounding area and they dont have anything anywhere near the value of the T30.
I rode my new bike today :eek: :biggrin:

It is AMAZING. Perfect size, so comfortable I didnt want to get off it, soooo smooth and easy to ride it was just effortless, even up a hill it was so incredibly comfortable, only needed to change down one gear (wheras that hill normally requires to drop 3) and the larger wheels meant the acceleration was noticably greater than the mountain bike. The only thing I will say is that the smooth tires made it more bumpy going over cobbles/curbs but on the road it just glides... im in love :redface:

Will be picking it up either tomorrow or next friday.. oooooh im so excited!!!!
I would very much like to get a job as a cycle courier/messenger in London this summer. Does anyone have any friends or contacts that do it that I could get in touch with? Thanks
I have a friend who is a cycle courier... he is out of work at the moment though as there are no jobs over the summer. Aparently everyone wants to do it over the summer when the weather is nice.. there will be jobs available again in autumn when it starts to rain.
Ok, thanks for the reply anyway.

My bike, when it was new, and had less scratches, and a lot less dirty.
oooooooh..

my bike/death machine..

Reply 211
SoundDevastation - you went for the t30 then?

I'm looking at spending around 1 and a half grand on a carbon road bike, so I'm looking at the Bianchi 928 c2c 105, or a Cannondale Synapse 105.
Either way I'd get an unltegra rear mech, but I'm not sure which to go for at the moment. I'll probably wait until the 09 bikes are brought out.

Anyone got any opinions?
Trigg

I did, I have one on reserve in the Nottingham shop which im picking up on Friday, just enough time to get a weekend of riding before my 160mile ride down to kent. Took it on a test ride and it was AMAZING, I cant wait to get it!
My Mongoose is too heavy for general cycling, it keeps me fit though
Reply 214
Can I join?! I still consider myself pretty new to cycling, having hated it all my life (had crap bikes as a kid and fell off age 13 getting a big scar up my leg and living in a very hilly area put me off a lot) I then managed to get myself a massive bike geek for a boyfriend! He slowly converted me til I bought my first bike at Christmas, a crappy £15 thing off eBay to get me around. I loved that bike, I didn't use it loads, just to get around on and stuff but we planned to cycle to Belgium over the summer as he used to go out to Ghent to race, it was all cool and then ... my bike got stolen!!!

I guess that's just what happens when you live in Mile End right?! Thanks to my parents' insurance company (and only a small amount of exagerrating) I managed to get just over £300 to spend on bike and accessories from Halford's! Due to stuff like army camp blah I ended up buying bike (the Carrera Subway someone posted a review of earlier) literally the day before we went away!

So I've just got back from Belgium (500km thank you very much!) and have to say something I never thought I'd say - I love cycling!!! It's soooo much better over there though, everywhere has cycle paths, bikes can go both ways down one way streets, traffic stops going round the roundabout to let you go past, it's amazing!!! Big props to my boyfriend cos without him I'd never have gotten into it! Can't wait to go back to uni so I can cycle to uni and zip around London yippeee!!!

Our two bikes (mine on the left) in Kortrijk (about halfway between Ypres and Ghent).
Trirarien
Can I join?! I still consider myself pretty new to cycling, having hated it all my life (had crap bikes as a kid and fell off age 13 getting a big scar up my leg and living in a very hilly area put me off a lot) I then managed to get myself a massive bike geek for a boyfriend! He slowly converted me til I bought my first bike at Christmas, a crappy £15 thing off eBay to get me around. I loved that bike, I didn't use it loads, just to get around on and stuff but we planned to cycle to Belgium over the summer as he used to go out to Ghent to race, it was all cool and then ... my bike got stolen!!!

I guess that's just what happens when you live in Mile End right?! Thanks to my parents' insurance company (and only a small amount of exagerrating) I managed to get just over £300 to spend on bike and accessories from Halford's! Due to stuff like army camp blah I ended up buying bike (the Carrera Subway someone posted a review of earlier) literally the day before we went away!

So I've just got back from Belgium (500km thank you very much!) and have to say something I never thought I'd say - I love cycling!!! It's soooo much better over there though, everywhere has cycle paths, bikes can go both ways down one way streets, traffic stops going round the roundabout to let you go past, it's amazing!!! Big props to my boyfriend cos without him I'd never have gotten into it! Can't wait to go back to uni so I can cycle to uni and zip around London yippeee!!!

Awesome! Id love to go touring around Europe! I have a good friend who lives in Ghent too so that would definately be on the map. Next year maybe! :cool:
Reply 216
SoundDevastation
Awesome! Id love to go touring around Europe! I have a good friend who lives in Ghent too so that would definately be on the map. Next year maybe! :cool:

Oh gosh I can't recommend it enough! Hardly any hills (apart from the CLIFFS in Dover!), considerate drivers (would've dreamt it?!) cycle paths galore, the town itself is gorgeous, not to mention the chocolates!!! Unfortunately I think my boyfriend wants to step it up a notch and do something a little more adventurous next year ... he has a friend in Switzerland so I think I better get training!!!
Switzerland is gorgeous.. I have done alot of hiking around Kandersteg, would love to do it with a bike.. I think i'll see how my Nottingham to Kent trip goes first though!
oh dear, my dad, who used to cycle a fair bit but stopped about 12 years ago, is going to buy a bike from a colleague today. We know nothing about it except that it was apparently £300 new a few months ago, and he's paying £100 now. He's pretty out of touch with bikes and stuff at the moment, so I hope it's not something completely ridiculous, lol...

Oh and I have question - I need some downtube shifters, one of the levers has broken off from mine. I've been to a few shops but none stock any, not even old parts. There's a few on eBay but they're gay new ones. Mine are suntour ones, pretty ancient... any idea where I could get something like that? I could get pics later. Actually, I think I might have one...

yes:

Any ideas? I think they do need replacing, but I'll get more opinions before I accept that.
Trigg

I'm looking at spending around 1 and a half grand on a carbon road bike, so I'm looking at the Bianchi 928 c2c 105, or a Cannondale Synapse 105.
Either way I'd get an unltegra rear mech, but I'm not sure which to go for at the moment. I'll probably wait until the 09 bikes are brought out.

Anyone got any opinions?

Thats fairly cheap for a full carbon bike, what are the specs like?
And '09 bikes will probs be out in a few months, so I'd definatley wait.