The Student Room Group

UCAS Points?

Bit confused about these, I'm doing my UCAS application at the moment and have noticed that on the league tables universities that have typical offers of AAA/AAB are asking for 460+ UCAS points. I got AAAB at AS level (excluding general studies A) so I would have 420 points if I got 3 A's in my chosen subjects?

My school has barely mentioned them (they only talk about grades and module marks) and none of the university websites I have looked at have given typical offers in points, they are all in grades. Wondering how relevant they are?
Reply 1
To the best of my knowledge it is just a statistics based on the students who have taken up admissions. They include all UCAS points one achieves incd things like speech and drama, music, key level skills etc along with usual A level grade points. This is not an admission criteria. :smile:
Reply 2
just look at the grades :smile: that's all you neeeeeed
causality
Bit confused about these, I'm doing my UCAS application at the moment and have noticed that on the league tables universities that have typical offers of AAA/AAB are asking for 460+ UCAS points. I got AAAB at AS level (excluding general studies A) so I would have 420 points if I got 3 A's in my chosen subjects?

My school has barely mentioned them (they only talk about grades and module marks) and none of the university websites I have looked at have given typical offers in points, they are all in grades. Wondering how relevant they are?

They're not asking for 460 points at all. Look at your statistics more carefully!
Reply 4
rnshan
To the best of my knowledge it is just a statistics based on the students who have taken up admissions. They include all UCAS points one achieves incd things like speech and drama, music, key level skills etc along with usual A level grade points. This is not an admission criteria. :smile:

:ditto: It's just a guideline to give you an idea of what other people who got in get on average, they're not "asking for" that many points. The grades are the most important thing, I'm assuming they make offers based only on grades and not UCAS points instead (some unis use a combination of both but most top ones (AAA/AAB) only use grades). The average points includes GenStudies btw, though they most probably don't include it as part of any offer - just shows that it's a guideline, nothing to do with offers as such.
Reply 5
causality
Bit confused about these, I'm doing my UCAS application at the moment and have noticed that on the league tables universities that have typical offers of AAA/AAB are asking for 460+ UCAS points

No they're not. The unis ask for AAA/AAB and that's all they'll give you as an offer. The average student who is accepted has 460+ UCAS points, but that is the amount of points gained regardless of the offer. For example, a student going to a uni that has an entry requirement of BBB (=300 points) will probably end up with, on average, in the region of 400 UCAS points (if you include General Studies etc). It's the amount of UCAS points the person gets that goes into the league tables, not the amount they're asked for :smile:
Reply 6
Ok thanks a lot for clearing that up for me!

Latest

Trending

Trending