The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

QuantumAge
Hi folks:smile:
Something is bothering me for more than 3 years and it's time to decide.

This is my story:

I'm an 18 years old student living in Belgium. Right now I'm studying mathematics (equivalent to FM or even more advanced) and economics at the highest level available in Belgium. I used to have very good grades (once 99,5 for economics) and sometimes I was the best student at school. All of my teachers know that I'm an intelligent student. I developed a love for economics at a very young age (when) I was 14. Now they call me the school's economist or sometimes financial expert (I've my own investment account with +45% gains). My love for mathematics developed earlier than the one for economics (I was one of school's best in math).

BUT:

Once I've heard about Cambridge (and Harvard), I became very stressed about my grades and my future. I couldn't concentrate anymore and grades declined. Now I'm in the 6th grade (last year) and my grades are still low (I don't feel like studying because I'm confused). My math teacher told me that she knows about my lack of concentration and my abundant stress. I'm only stressed during math exams not during any other exam. So my grades for economics and other subjects (at least if I study) are still good.

Question:

Shall I chase my dream and apply to Cambridge? Will they understand my situation? Will they forget about my grades and look at my potential?
My teachers are willing to write me recommendation letters because they know that I could do a lot more better.

Dilemma:

My ultimate dream is to build a financial model, using the chaos theory, which could explain the stock market's behavior (as a dynamical system). I'm very glad that I love both subjects, mathematics and economics. But my knowledge in economics is more profound than the one in mathematics (although I know a lot about math through reading mathematical introductory books). Shall I apply to economics or mathematics knowing that I'm capable of persuading the economics tutors during an interview (because of my huge background knowledge). But I also don't want to give up mathematics. I really love both :confused: :confused: Which one should I choose (greater chance of getting an offer)?

Thx a lot:wink:
Rémon

P.S I also have a lot of knowledge on politics (I wrote my first political text when I was 10), philosophy (I'm writing a philosophical book: "The Valueless Number" ) literature (I'm a Russian Realism admirer-Dosto, Turgenjev,...) and Physics (I love quantum and relativity). Will they accept someone like me without looking at my grades and only considering my potential:confused:

Why don't you email cambridge and ask?:smile:
QuantumAge
Hi folks:smile:
Something is bothering me for more than 3 years and it's time to decide.

This is my story:

I'm an 18 years old student living in Belgium. Right now I'm studying mathematics (equivalent to FM or even more advanced) and economics at the highest level available in Belgium. I used to have very good grades (once 99,5 for economics) and sometimes I was the best student at school. All of my teachers know that I'm an intelligent student. I developed a love for economics at a very young age (when) I was 14. Now they call me the school's economist or sometimes financial expert (I've my own investment account with +45% gains). My love for mathematics developed earlier than the one for economics (I was one of school's best in math).

BUT:

Once I've heard about Cambridge (and Harvard), I became very stressed about my grades and my future. I couldn't concentrate anymore and grades declined. Now I'm in the 6th grade (last year) and my grades are still low (I don't feel like studying because I'm confused). My math teacher told me that she knows about my lack of concentration and my abundant stress. I'm only stressed during math exams not during any other exam. So my grades for economics and other subjects (at least if I study) are still good.

Question:

Shall I chase my dream and apply to Cambridge? Will they understand my situation? Will they forget about my grades and look at my potential?
My teachers are willing to write me recommendation letters because they know that I could do a lot more better.

Dilemma:

My ultimate dream is to build a financial model, using the chaos theory, which could explain the stock market's behavior (as a dynamical system). I'm very glad that I love both subjects, mathematics and economics. But my knowledge in economics is more profound than the one in mathematics (although I know a lot about math through reading mathematical introductory books). Shall I apply to economics or mathematics knowing that I'm capable of persuading the economics tutors during an interview (because of my huge background knowledge). But I also don't want to give up mathematics. I really love both :confused: :confused: Which one should I choose (greater chance of getting an offer)?

Thx a lot:wink:
Rémon

P.S I also have a lot of knowledge on politics (I wrote my first political text when I was 10), philosophy (I'm writing a philosophical book: "The Valueless Number" ) literature (I'm a Russian Realism admirer-Dosto, Turgenjev,...) and Physics (I love quantum and relativity). Will they accept someone like me without looking at my grades and only considering my potential:confused:

If you are such a frickin genius, you should be able to easily get good grades.
Reply 2242
How do they grade Scottish grades?

I got 5 A's at Higher Level, 2 of which were BAND 1 and 3 BAND 2. I'm predicted 3 A's in my Advanced Highers this year. Is that enough?

My intermediates weren't that great though. 5 A band 1's and then 3 B's. Do they consider Intermediates?
Heya :smile: I got aabb at AS level, was expected to get aaaa but was sick, my predicted grades are AAAA and my teacher's putting that I was ill in my reference, will they take that into account when they're deciding who to interview or just think that I should have gotten at least aaa regardless of how I was feeling?
I got full marks in English at AS, which is the subject I'm applying to so hopefully that'll help too, I'm just worried about whether not getting at least the 3 as at AS means automatic rejection >.<
sorry if this sort of thing's been posted before.
bubblefyfe
Heya :smile: I got aabb at AS level, was expected to get aaaa but was sick, my predicted grades are AAAA and my teacher's putting that I was ill in my reference, will they take that into account when they're deciding who to interview or just think that I should have gotten at least aaa regardless of how I was feeling?
I got full marks in English at AS, which is the subject I'm applying to so hopefully that'll help too, I'm just worried about whether not getting at least the 3 as at AS means automatic rejection >.<
sorry if this sort of thing's been posted before.

Assuming you were properly ill (rather than a bit of a cold), it will be taken into consideration. However you can't in all fairness ask them assume that you would have got AAAA if you hadn't been ill. So, even if you were ill, the fact that you for AABB will automatically put more pressure on the other aspects of the application, just because they need to be sure that you're actually Cambridge standard. So the interview needs to be extra-good, as do any submitted essays, and the personal statement.
Having said that, the magic 100 in english lit will work in your favour.
Yoshua
How do they grade Scottish grades?

I got 5 A's at Higher Level, 2 of which were BAND 1 and 3 BAND 2. I'm predicted 3 A's in my Advanced Highers this year. Is that enough?

My intermediates weren't that great though. 5 A band 1's and then 3 B's. Do they consider Intermediates?

The site explains to an extent, also note that there are differences between colleges. However AAAAA at Higher is certainly good enough.
Boucicaut
Assuming you were properly ill (rather than a bit of a cold), it will be taken into consideration. However you can't in all fairness ask them assume that you would have got AAAA if you hadn't been ill. So, even if you were ill, the fact that you for AABB will automatically put more pressure on the other aspects of the application, just because they need to be sure that you're actually Cambridge standard. So the interview needs to be extra-good, as do any submitted essays, and the personal statement.
Having said that, the magic 100 in english lit will work in your favour.

Thank you for the reply, that makes sense, I'll put extra work into the personal statement and all now :smile:
Reply 2247
Hi all,

I received pretty good GCSE grades; 6 A*s and 5 As, but i've been told that the average applicant to cambridge has 8 A*s, so I got quite scared. Accordingly I worked really hard in my AS levels, and was VERY VERY pleased with my results. I got an average of 98% across my 5 subjects, but I'm still scared that my GCSE grades won't stand out as much.

Am I overreacting here? For those of you who are interested, im applying for engineering.

thanks in advance,
Reply 2248
Craghyrax
One A. Four Bs. One C. One D. It really is a pointless question.

your everywhere in the prospectus! which college are you at? :p:
For my A2 predictions, i have been given an A* in maths, an A in physics, but only a B in further maths. I tried to persuade my further maths teacher to predict me an A but i'd done badly on the AS paper (somehow, i didnt even see there WAS a 12 mark question 7 until after the paper). Anyway, I already applied (to engineering) due to the deadline, but id just like to know out of curiosity. Thanks!
I could swear you just did the same thread...but for oxbridge
Ring them, email them... Somehow, some way, just contact them. :rolleyes:
Reply 2252
Mask Of Sanity
Ring them, email them... Somehow, some way, just contact them. :rolleyes:

And say what, exactly?
OhNO!
And say what, exactly?

Inquire if they've accepted anyone who's had a B predicted? Something of the sort. A bit late now, but worth a shot. I'd rather hear it from them than people on a forum.
They may turn you down as they want A*AA? Imo. But they won't turn just soley on your predicted grades as Cambridge I'd imagine look at so much more.
Yeah, sorry about that guys and girls. I tried to alter the title on the "oxbridge" one and ended up making this thread by mistake.
I think I saw somewhere that they've said they might make some A*AB offers this year, not sure though.
Reply 2257
you'd be at a disadvantage
most Cambridge students get predicted A*AA
jamminjazman
For my A2 predictions, i have been given an A* in maths, an A in physics, but only a B in further maths. I tried to persuade my further maths teacher to predict me an A but i'd done badly on the AS paper (somehow, i didnt even see there WAS a 12 mark question 7 until after the paper). Anyway, I already applied (to engineering) due to the deadline, but id just like to know out of curiosity. Thanks!

I'm not an expert on this as I've only started AS', but have you told your further maths teacher that you did badly because you didn't realise there was a 12 mark question you missed out, and that it wasn't perhaps because you didn't know how to answer it? :s-smilie: I realise it may be too late, but you could give it a shot and ask the college if there's anything they can do now. Hope it works out. It does seem a bit dodgy as to how you can be predicted an A* in maths, but 'only' a B in Further maths (not that a B is bad, but quite a bit below an A*).
I don't know these things but wouldn't the fact that you're effectively only doing Maths and Physics be a bit of an issue?
:s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending