The Student Room Group

Dentistry Reapplicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi guys!

I'm reapplying after not receiving an offer last year. I got A*AA and I am applying to Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds and Liverpool.
Reply 21
Original post by addvic
because i asked them haha, if you ring them or email them they'll tell you (id say email is better, it might take longer for a response but at least you've got what they say in writing!) yeah i applied there last year and was rejected before interview. if you're confident in your application and feel it is of a good standard, which it would have to be if you're applying anywhere for dentistry, then there's no reason why you shouldnt apply to leeds.

last year i applied to leeds sheffield and glasgow for dentistry and put two pharmacy options down (big mistake, im not interested in pharmacy at all!)

this time im putting leeds and sheffield... then some chemistry courses. probs leeds, newcastle and sheffield for that.

ahh thanks for the advice :smile: did you ask for feedback from them last time?
good luckkk!
Reply 22
Original post by jensumners
Hi guys!

I'm reapplying after not receiving an offer last year. I got A*AA and I am applying to Bristol, Cardiff, Leeds and Liverpool.

heyy :smile: congrats on those results! where did you apply last year? have you done your ukcat yet?? good luckkk
Reply 23
Original post by Kartace
This is sorta applicable to me, i'm re-applying but i didn't miss my grades, i just didn't get any offers. I'm going to be re-applying to Liverpool, Leeds, Bristol and Cardiff. I got 2A*'s and 2A's at A2. Anyone else in a similar position to me?

At the moment i'm procrastinating about my UKCAT and doing lots of Work Ex and volunteering.

EDIT : Lol at the fag who negged me for missing his offer, fuk you dude! You lose in the end.

Im in the same sorta position but i got AAA, so i guess ur grades are better. What were ur predicitons?
Reply 24
Original post by kazma
Im in the same sorta position but i got AAA, so i guess ur grades are better. What were ur predicitons?

lol My predictions were
Music - A (A*)
Biology - B (A*)
Chemistry - B (A)

So 5 rejections were on the cards really.
Reply 25
Original post by kazma

heyyy, where did you apply last year? and where are you thinking of applying to this time round? good luck :smile:
Reply 26
im also reapplying :s-smilie:
do the universities look at how many times the applicant has applied before?
Reply 27
Original post by Maz89
im also reapplying :s-smilie:
do the universities look at how many times the applicant has applied before?

heyy, no i don't think they do.. they may if you're applying to the same universities again, but i doubt it works against you, don't worry :smile: where are you applying this year?
Reply 28
Original post by hkn123

Original post by hkn123
heyy, no i don't think they do.. they may if you're applying to the same universities again, but i doubt it works against you, don't worry :smile: where are you applying this year?

erm i think leeds and sheffiels, but was also considering queen marya and kings but i dont think my ukcat score can make the cut :frown:
Reply 29
Original post by Maz89
erm i think leeds and sheffiels, but was also considering queen marya and kings but i dont think my ukcat score can make the cut :frown:

ah don't worry, what section do you find the hardest? there is a good thread on here somewhere with practice questions and a computerised mock, or go on the kaplan site for some free practice questions - it has answers and explanations so is really useful :smile:. what about birmingham? I don't think they look at the ukcat..
Reply 30
birmingham have exceedingly high expectations for me lol

erm, all of them tbh, but i think the verbal reasoning and the mathematical one is the worst lol

cheers for that, i will take a look and see if its any help :smile:
I'm re-applying I got an offer last year from Manchester but didnt get the grades i got AAC (C being in history) so on my gap year im doing maths, physics AS & Politics A2 so should have AAAC/aa to reapply with - everything has been done in 2 years. My UKCAT is next month

I have loads of experience e.g. 3 years voluntary at hospital, 2 week local dentist, experience of dentistiry in 3rd world country & extra stuff for PS e.g. youth MP, young health minister DofE etc etc.

I didnt apply cardiff or bistol last year so i'm applying there this year, but will it just be straight rejections?
FML, i cant believe i got a C, history has ruined my life.

Is there any point in me applying??
Reply 32
Original post by Kartace
I'm spending it training as a dental nurse in a practise and doing a maths A level.

How exactly do you train to be a dental nurse, because i was thinking of doing the same, but dont you have to do a course at uni to become one, are you allowed to work in a practice?
Reply 33
Original post by cool11
How exactly do you train to be a dental nurse, because i was thinking of doing the same, but dont you have to do a course at uni to become one, are you allowed to work in a practice?

If you state intent to attend a course then you are allowed to work as a dental nurse, the dentist i'm working for is very helpfull too, so he's quite liberal with the rules. I have to get my Hep B jabs and stuff done first though.
Reply 34
Original post by hkn123
ahh thanks for the advice :smile: did you ask for feedback from them last time?
good luckkk!

yeah leeds were quite good for feedback, it was all constructive criticism haha and sheffield didnt give as much feedback but said i should apply again once ive got my grades! hopefully i'll get as good/better in the ukcat!
Reply 35
Original post by Maz89
birmingham have exceedingly high expectations for me lol

erm, all of them tbh, but i think the verbal reasoning and the mathematical one is the worst lol

cheers for that, i will take a look and see if its any help :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=621992 this thread has some very useful links on it, especially on the first page
with verbal reasoning i think a good technique is to read the statement first, then skim through the passage for key words, as opposed to reading the whole passage first and then reading the question.. i find it really difficult too
but in general, for all sections practice will help more than anything :smile: when is your ukcat? good luck!
Reply 36
Original post by AbigailBowden
I'm re-applying I got an offer last year from Manchester but didnt get the grades i got AAC (C being in history) so on my gap year im doing maths, physics AS & Politics A2 so should have AAAC/aa to reapply with - everything has been done in 2 years. My UKCAT is next month

I have loads of experience e.g. 3 years voluntary at hospital, 2 week local dentist, experience of dentistiry in 3rd world country & extra stuff for PS e.g. youth MP, young health minister DofE etc etc.

I didnt apply cardiff or bistol last year so i'm applying there this year, but will it just be straight rejections?
FML, i cant believe i got a C, history has ruined my life.

Is there any point in me applying??

heyy :smile: your voluntary work and work experience sound very impressive so you shouldn't have a problem on that side at all.. so you're not taking any exams again, but taking up different subjects? the thing with cardiff and bristol is that they do not accept resit candidates, but if you're not doing resits then that should be fine as you have 2 As anyway.. where else are you applying and do you have a back-up option in mind?
Im applying Manc, Cardiff & Bristol for Dentistry, Manc & York for chemistry. I absolutly LOVE chemistry, i could more than happily do it 9hrs a day 7 days a week. Alevels are boring when chemistry isnt a subject i'm studying.

But yeah fingers crossed I'll get an offer for dentistry. But my problem is - will the Unis know im not resitting, rather i'm doing extra alevels to compensate for my awful history grade? Life is so stressful lol.

What is your situation? Where you applying & why are you reapplying?

Best of luck to everyone! I hope you get in! :biggrin:
if one doesnt achieve grade A in aqa chem, can the individual do ocr chem and then achieve grade A as long as he does it within a 2 year period so it doesnt count as retake. and therefore increase his chances of a offer from dental school.
Reply 39
Original post by AbigailBowden
Im applying Manc, Cardiff & Bristol for Dentistry, Manc & York for chemistry. I absolutly LOVE chemistry, i could more than happily do it 9hrs a day 7 days a week. Alevels are boring when chemistry isnt a subject i'm studying.

But yeah fingers crossed I'll get an offer for dentistry. But my problem is - will the Unis know im not resitting, rather i'm doing extra alevels to compensate for my awful history grade? Life is so stressful lol.

What is your situation? Where you applying & why are you reapplying?

Best of luck to everyone! I hope you get in! :biggrin:

I think you should call the universities up just to clarify on that matter, but I reckon when you fill out your UCAS application for 2012 entry, they'll be able to work it out from the dates of your exams etc.. but call just to make sure lol

I got a C last year too, I initially held an offer from Cardiff of 3As.. didn't have a back-up :s I'm thinking about Cardiff and possibly leeds for dentistry.. I'm not sure where else just yet, waiting to see how ukcat goes! which board were you for chemistry?

Quick Reply

Latest