Exeter 2012 Applicant's Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Any offers for 'Classical Studies' yet?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 181
Anyone got offers for pure English? I have a friend who got one for English and French but I don't know anyone else who's applying for straight English.
Original post by Niki_girl
:frown: I know, the sad thing is I'm practically stalking that "UCAS 2012 Decisions thread" as well as my email/ track, my addiction is definitely worse in the holidays too...when did you send your application?

:laugh: brilliant

It's the same with me! It's a vicious circle - it's almost as if we're being punished for checking our emails too often which only makes us check our emails more often!
I sent my application on the 26th of Sept. I think because I'm applying to the bridge of cam. I got a swathe of acknowledgement emails in the week but they've just dried up now.
Sad History student :frown:
Reply 183
I got an offer for Law (European), AAA

very excited :biggrin: :smile:
Received an AAA conditional offer for LLB Law today!
Original post by BexyBear
not yet, i'm applying for the applied clinical BSc! and i'm expecting a rejection! (i already have my a levels) i'm surprised they are giving out AAA after what radio 2 were saying today!

what did they say on radio 2?
To those applying for English, I sent my offer in last year start of early December (or late November) and we kept being told via e-mail that they would pretty much only start considering people after the January deadline - even then I'm pretty sure it took a good few weeks to get an offer (4 or 5, I got most of my offers before Exeter got back to me!).

However, this could be completely out of date information because I imagine the course was stupendously oversubscribed last year with people trying to get in before the tuition fees changed. The course is probably still oversubscribed this year, but they might be able to process it quicker this year.

I am now sat in my accommodation at Exeter after receiving and meeting an offer of AAA. :smile:

Any English-y questions, just yell!
Reply 187
Original post by mady.
i hate the wait.. has anyone had an offer for languages yet??

Yep: French & Arabic AAB

What are you applying for?
Reply 188
Original post by Banana_Llama
To those applying for English, I sent my offer in last year start of early December (or late November) and we kept being told via e-mail that they would pretty much only start considering people after the January deadline - even then I'm pretty sure it took a good few weeks to get an offer (4 or 5, I got most of my offers before Exeter got back to me!).

However, this could be completely out of date information because I imagine the course was stupendously oversubscribed last year with people trying to get in before the tuition fees changed. The course is probably still oversubscribed this year, but they might be able to process it quicker this year.

I am now sat in my accommodation at Exeter after receiving and meeting an offer of AAA. :smile:

Any English-y questions, just yell!

Thanks for the info!

I'm a tad annoyed because after Oxford, I'm dead set on Bristol or Exeter for English... who are both apparently notoriously slow when it comes to making offers. It's going to be an agonising wait!
Reply 189
Just come back off holiday to find that Exeter made me an offer at 13:16 yesterday for Classics - AAA with an A in Latin or Greek :smile:
Reply 190
Congrats to those who have offers already! Ah man I want an offer. I am so impatient. Anyone applying for Economics here?
Reply 191
Original post by Yash13
Congrats to those who have offers already! Ah man I want an offer. I am so impatient. Anyone applying for Economics here?

yeah! :smile: applying for economics as well! :P
Reply 192
Original post by patra
yeah! :smile: applying for economics as well! :P

LOL. Have you got any offers yet? Where else have you applied ? :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by NICKYnackynockynoo
what did they say on radio 2?

they are expecting a large decrease in applications and universities are preparing for a struggle. They aren't sure whether places like, London Met, East London and some of the lower ranked unis will be able to survive it and may have to even merge into one.
Original post by Yash13

Business Eco, because I cba with heavy maths for 3 years!
Original post by BexyBear
they are expecting a large decrease in applications and universities are preparing for a struggle. They aren't sure whether places like, London Met, East London and some of the lower ranked unis will be able to survive it and may have to even merge into one.

(Here comes my Economixxx talking)

The Price Elasticity on Demand of a good degree from a good uni (such as Exeter), is highly inelastic - meaning that, as price increases, the demand for such product (here, the degree) doesn't fall that dramatically.

If you think about it, if you want to be earning big money, or go into your dream job, it is highly likely that you will need a good degree to do so. It is very unlikely that the vast majority of people will say "oh no, I want to be barrister but now I have to borrow a bit more money, I think I'll work in McDonald's for the rest of my life".

However, I can imagine that people taking pointless degrees or/and at very poorly ranked universities, or people just going to get drunk and have a good time, will probably consider progressing elsewhere with their careers. That is where the majority of the reduction in applicants will come from. Bath, Warwick, Oxford and Cambridge all have had more applicants so far this year, than last year.

Also on Radio 2 they were comparing it with last year, which was likely to have a hell of a lot more people applying then this year; people will take gap years after uni rather than before to save money. So of course, there is going to be a reduction anyway.

(This is just my take on it, I welcome other's opinions :smile: )
Reply 196
Original post by Yash13
LOL. Have you got any offers yet? Where else have you applied ? :smile:

no, havent had any offers yet...you? ive applied to Bristol,Exeter,Lancaster,Kent and Loughborough.. where have u applied????
Reply 197
Original post by SirLauberlot
(Here comes my Economixxx talking)

The Price Elasticity on Demand of a good degree from a good uni (such as Exeter), is highly inelastic - meaning that, as price increases, the demand for such product (here, the degree) doesn't fall that dramatically.

If you think about it, if you want to be earning big money, or go into your dream job, it is highly likely that you will need a good degree to do so. It is very unlikely that the vast majority of people will say "oh no, I want to be barrister but now I have to borrow a bit more money, I think I'll work in McDonald's for the rest of my life".

However, I can imagine that people taking pointless degrees or/and at very poorly ranked universities, or people just going to get drunk and have a good time, will probably consider progressing elsewhere with their careers. That is where the majority of the reduction in applicants will come from. Bath, Warwick, Oxford and Cambridge all have had more applicants so far this year, than last year.

Also on Radio 2 they were comparing it with last year, which was likely to have a hell of a lot more people applying then this year; people will take gap years after uni rather than before to save money. So of course, there is going to be a reduction anyway.

(This is just my take on it, I welcome other's opinions :smile: )

Yeah i agree with you. The top 20 (or so) Universities won't see that much fluctuation between applicant levels, i was hoping they might :frown: haha. However London Met.... :colone:
Reply 198
Original post by patra
no, havent had any offers yet...you? ive applied to Bristol,Exeter,Lancaster,Kent and Loughborough.. where have u applied????

Nope. :frown: My other choices include : Cambridge, Warwick, Bath and Durham. I am a risk-taker and do not mind taking a gap year. I am still hoping for the best. Good luck! Hopefully we both get offers from Exeter :biggrin:. Did you apply for L100 or L101?
Original post by Cupid93
Just come back off holiday to find that Exeter made me an offer at 13:16 yesterday for Classics - AAA with an A in Latin or Greek :smile:

Are you taking 5 A2s? Because if you aren't, what's the point in asking for an A in Latin or Greek? Surely if you're taking 4, then you have to get an A to meet the entry requirement anyway making the latin/greek bit completely redundant.
Sorry about the rage. I'm offerless from Exeter.

Quick Reply