The Student Room Group

NOMS Prison Service Graduate Scheme

Scroll to see replies

I only finished my application on the morning of the deadline and I got the same email - hopefully a good sign!
Reply 41
Yes hopefully! I also appear to still be able to edit most parts of my application and then save the changes - is this the same for anyone else? It just seems a bit odd- it's definitely been submitted (I got the application receipt and a further email). I haven't been editing it (I'd finished with it when I submitted) - but it just seems strange that I appear to be able to do so.
Reply 42
Original post by rms2011
Hello all!

I've also applied for this scheme. Just wondering if anyone else applied rather late in the day- do we still stand a chance if we did (I applied in the morning of the day of the deadline)? I'd just like to know if anyone who put in a lateish application has heard anything

My small comfort is that I did get an email saying that I would hear within the next ten days- rather hoping that this means they must still be putting people who applied a bit last minute through - or surely they'd just reject outright?

Also, I think someone asked about the numbers- it's very competitive. According to the facebook page there were 2000+ last year for 12-15 places. Additionally, the message that's gone up on the log-in screen about having recieved a large number of applications implies that there's probably no change to that this year. Also, I think a lot get cut out at early stages- reading this thread from last year only 50 of the 2000 made it to the final interview. At the same time, they've got to take someone so there's a chance (if a slim one!)!

Yes always be hopeful, like you I applied in the "dying moments" or the last day :wink: but thats how i seem to function with these applications, I received the same email as you on the 2nd of December, so there are still a few days for them to get back...

Original post by rms2011
Yes hopefully! I also appear to still be able to edit most parts of my application and then save the changes - is this the same for anyone else? It just seems a bit odd- it's definitely been submitted (I got the application receipt and a further email). I haven't been editing it (I'd finished with it when I submitted) - but it just seems strange that I appear to be able to do so.

It's the same for me, could be a glitch in the system ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43
Just got invited to do the online tests and as mentioned above I applied on the morning of the deadline- so they clearly are still fairly assessing applications (i.e. not dismissing if they were a bit late in the day) which is great news :smile:
Reply 44
Where has everyone applied? I've passed my online test and being considered for the next stage.

I've applied for Yorkshire/Humberside.
Reply 45
I applied for London. Being considered for next stage as well. Good luck!
Reply 46
Hi,
I applied about 10pm on the deadline day.
I received an email saying that i would hear back in the next ten days.
Anyone heard back yet?
Reply 47
Original post by jhgtfc
Where has everyone applied? I've passed my online test and being considered for the next stage.

I've applied for Yorkshire/Humberside.

When did you apply for the position? i've also applied there!
Reply 48
I applied for London too, bit worried it will be one of the more competitive regions although I like how you apply for a specific region, I get the impression they just look within applicants who have applied for regions rather than offering people areas they don't want...?

I've now had two emails saying that my application is under consideration and they hope to have got back to everyone within the first week of January. So fingers crossed!
Reply 49
I applied AM on the deadline day, got the generic "ten day" email on the 2nd of dec, and at about 5pmish yesterday got an email requesting I take the numerical test within 48hrs.

I applied to South East, but I don't think that they discriminate on the basis of which region you apply to - if the 12 "best" people at the end of the process all applied to the same region, I *think* from looking at the fb page history, that they offer the positions to those 12 but in different locations from those they requested- so maybe not to worry too much about having applied to a possibly more popular region.
Reply 50
oooh okay thats good news! Thanks and good luck with the maths test!
Reply 51
hey,
just wondering has anyone done the numerical test? sounds like a stupid question but is it really, really difficult?? ive tried to find some examples online and they were all mega hard :eek:
xx
Reply 52
It's a really similar standard to all the questions on the SHL practice test, good luck!
Reply 53
I don't quite understand the post-test email that seems to be sent out automatically:

Thank you for completing the online numerical test. You have passed your online test and are now being considered for the next stage in the recruitment process.

We will not be able to confirm if you have been selected for the next recruitment stage until all applications have been received and considered. This will take place towards the end of the year. We hope to be in touch during the first week of January.

Should you have any queries, do not hesitate to contact us.

Yours Sincerely,
HR Recruitment Team

A) I would be very surprised if I passed the tests. Time limit was impossible, had to guesstimate 2 questions and outright guess another 2, and there's one that I know I got wrong (clicked wrong box). So I'm not sure- can I ask (sorry, insensitively) has anyone actually received an email to say that they *haven't* passed the test? I think maybe they're just sending this email out as soon as you have completed the test regardless of how you perform!

B) If those receiving this email genuinely have passed the online test, then why are we not automatically through to the next stage? We had to pass the competency to get to the online tests, so surely if we also passed the online test then we should be invited to the next stage?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Hey,

I'm sure you have passed the test, they wouldn't send an email like that to anyone unless you had plus I think the pass mark varies for different jobs depending on how essential maths will be to the role, so maybe it isn't too high.

Also the reason you don't get automatically through is probably because they can only allow x number of people through to the next stage so once they know who actually passed the maths test (i.e how many people) they select from that group, possible based on test scores and application together to decide on who to invite to the assessment day.

I think!

Hope that helps! and well done for passing, I'm sure you have done
Reply 55
Original post by X.stacey.X
When did you apply for the position? i've also applied there!

I started my application in good time but answered the experience ones on deadline day. I've applied to a few graduate jobs as I want to get out of retail and been knocked back time after time so far.

Really want this job though as it offers great opportunities to enter the public sector - where I want to work in the long term despite the recent cuts!
Reply 56
Ive just been informed that i didnt pass the online numerical test ! :frown: did anyone else find it really hard and confusing? xxx
Hi, sorry to hear you didn't pass. I'm about to do the online numerical test however it gives no information on how many questions there are or how much time you get. Could you give me any information?
I have tried the practise paper on the SHL website, but i found it difficult.
Reply 58
You have 25 minutes to answer 18 questions and the best piece of advice I can give you is ensure there are no distractions whilst also having a scientific calculator with plenty of scrap paper and a pen.
Reply 59
Specifically, is it just numerical reasoning or does it also contain data interpretation, numerical computation or numerical estimation questions ?

Quick Reply

Latest