The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by lux*
Thanks Claire! How come you didn't apply to Essex? (I don't think I saw it mentioned in your posts anyway?)

I was going to, but I decided I really didn't want to live there. With City and UCL, I used to live in South London so have a lot of friends there, plus it's only an hour away from home.. and Sheffield is near my boyfriend, twin sister and a big group of my friends. I didn't want to be in Essex where I wasn't near anyone at all - I didn't know anyone when I went to Cardiff for my undergrad and found being 3 hours away from everyone quite hard at times. I think this course particularly is going to be so full on that i'll need to be able to de stress with my family and friends! (I know i'll make friends on the course... but you know what I mean!)
Having said that, if i'm not successful anywhere this year, next year i'm definitely going to apply to Essex as well as 5 undergrads!
x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 201
Merry Xmas fellow SLT geeks :smile: Hope you all have a lovely few days before we will no doubt be back checking up on TSR!
xxxx
Hi guys, only just discovered this part of the forum!

I was delighted to get an interview for Essex, got rejected from Reading and Newcastle :/

I saw someone mention that they interview based on preference? What does this mean? I got an interview for 25th april but I saw some people have one in March. Does this mean that they are, for want of a better phrase, 'more desirable' then me?

My heart sank when I saw this :frown: Really want to just get in SOMEWHERE
Reply 203
Original post by perri winkles

I was delighted to get an interview for Essex, got rejected from Reading and Newcastle :/

I saw someone mention that they interview based on preference? What does this mean? I got an interview for 25th april but I saw some people have one in March. Does this mean that they are, for want of a better phrase, 'more desirable' then me?

I said that but that was just my own interpretation of also getting an interview end of April rather than actually knowing what it's based on!
Hey you got an interview so they think you have potential!
Hey thanks for replying, it's still worrying though, maybe you're right?? I was delighted to get the interview after getting the other rejections but now Im not so sure :/

God I hate all this waiting my poor nerves can't take it :wink:
Reply 205

Well done on your Essex interview :smile: I've not heard from them yet nor Reading. How do you know you got a rejection from them did they email you?
Reply 206

Also interested to know about Reading as I haven't heard anything yet - when did you apply?
Well done for getting the interview, very exciting! :biggrin: xx
Reply 207
Hi all, I've just discovered this thread. So interesting in reading what everyone has to say about applying and interviews as I have felt like I have no clue in applying!
I am gutted that I didn't apply to Sheffield, I never found it for some reason. But I applied to City, UCL, Reading, Essex and Newcastle. I have got interviews for Essex, Newcastle and UCL.
what are people doing to prepare for interviews??
Newcastle interviews sounds like my idea of hell lol. Group interview and a presentation! I do not do well on public speaking.
Does anyone know anyone that has been to an interview before and know any sorts of questions??
Reply 208

I really don't think this is the case, my interview was at the end of April and I think 5 people on my interview day got in! :smile:
Reply 209
Original post by etinkler
Hi all, I've just discovered this thread. So interesting in reading what everyone has to say about applying and interviews as I have felt like I have no clue in applying!
I am gutted that I didn't apply to Sheffield, I never found it for some reason. But I applied to City, UCL, Reading, Essex and Newcastle. I have got interviews for Essex, Newcastle and UCL.
what are people doing to prepare for interviews??
Newcastle interviews sounds like my idea of hell lol. Group interview and a presentation! I do not do well on public speaking.
Does anyone know anyone that has been to an interview before and know any sorts of questions??

I went to a few interviews back when I was applying. Don't worry too much about the Newcastle presentation, when I did it they split us into groups of about 10 so we weren't presenting to many people :smile: The worst thing about Newcastle is that you get no one-to-one interview, so you really have to get your knowledge & passion across in your presentation and the group work.

(I'm not going to talk specifically about the questions and tasks in interviews because a) I can't remember well enough to be reliable, and it might have changed anyway, and b) it gives people an unfair advantage, but am happy to answer general questions)
(edited 12 years ago)
i just discovered this forum! its so interesting to hear what other people are going through with applications! im a nervous wreck at the min lol!

i wasn't going to apply for any undergraduate courses but after reading some of the information others have gathered regarding the number of people they interview I'm beginning to think it might be a good idea to apply for some just in case!

its nice to see that everyone is supportive of each other! i was just wondering which uni's people have applied for for undergrad?

xxx
Reply 211
Original post by rachel2011
i just discovered this forum! its so interesting to hear what other people are going through with applications! im a nervous wreck at the min lol!

i wasn't going to apply for any undergraduate courses but after reading some of the information others have gathered regarding the number of people they interview I'm beginning to think it might be a good idea to apply for some just in case!

its nice to see that everyone is supportive of each other! i was just wondering which uni's people have applied for for undergrad?

xxx

Hiya! It is so useful to chat to people in the same boat - so glad this forum exists!

I wasn't going to apply for undergrad either, but then panicked and decided it would be nice to have options if the postgrad route doesn't work out. I applied for UEA, Leeds Met, Birmingham city (Because they are all 3 year courses) and then Reading and MMU (4 years) Realistically I wouldn't go to either of the 4 year ones as 4 years is far too long but I just put 5 because you can on UCAS!

If you have time to apply now you may as well, I already have an offer from Leeds Met and it is making me a lot less nervous about the whole situation knowing that whatever happens I am now definitely going to be starting somewhere in Sep!

Where have you applied for (postgrad)? Good luck with it all! x
Reply 212
Hi everyone, just found this new thread! Have people got invitations to interviews for UCL already? Thinking if this is the case then I havent... ) :
Reply 213
Original post by sineadp
Hi everyone, just found this new thread! Have people got invitations to interviews for UCL already? Thinking if this is the case then I havent... ) :

Hi Sinead :smile: - I think that is the case i'm afraid. I applied pretty much the last day possible and I emailed them when people started to get offers and they told me I was unsuccessful. Might be worth emailing them to check because you never know! Where else have you applied? xx
Reply 214

xxx

Hi Rachel, I'm a nervous wreck too!!!
I wasn't going to apply to undergrads but then had a panic after getting a rejection from UCL and applied to De Montford and Leeds Met (both don't interview, which I liked as it means i'll just get a simple yes or no :smile: ). Although I know it's still possible I won't get on to either of those courses, I must admit I feel a tiny bit calmer knowing that I now have another 2 extra possible places to be accepted at! I'm still waiting to hear back from Reading, Sheffield and City for the postgraduate course x
Original post by Rach_L
Hiya! It is so useful to chat to people in the same boat - so glad this forum exists!

I wasn't going to apply for undergrad either, but then panicked and decided it would be nice to have options if the postgrad route doesn't work out. I applied for UEA, Leeds Met, Birmingham city (Because they are all 3 year courses) and then Reading and MMU (4 years) Realistically I wouldn't go to either of the 4 year ones as 4 years is far too long but I just put 5 because you can on UCAS!

If you have time to apply now you may as well, I already have an offer from Leeds Met and it is making me a lot less nervous about the whole situation knowing that whatever happens I am now definitely going to be starting somewhere in Sep!

Where have you applied for (postgrad)? Good luck with it all! x

ive applied to city, ucl, reading, newcastle & essex....i was rejected from reading but have interviews for UCL & Essex...haven't heard anything at all from city (has anyone else found this?) and Newcastle said they would get back to me in early 2012...

i decided to apply for some undergrad courses after reading what people have said in this forum & the general thought seems to be its best to apply for some to sort of cover all bases!

how long did it take for leeds to get back to you with a decision? x
Original post by Claire-H
Hi Rachel, I'm a nervous wreck too!!!
I wasn't going to apply to undergrads but then had a panic after getting a rejection from UCL and applied to De Montford and Leeds Met (both don't interview, which I liked as it means i'll just get a simple yes or no :smile: ). Although I know it's still possible I won't get on to either of those courses, I must admit I feel a tiny bit calmer knowing that I now have another 2 extra possible places to be accepted at! I'm still waiting to hear back from Reading, Sheffield and City for the postgraduate course x

Have you had any contact with city at all after the email confirming that you had submitted an application? im getting a bit nervous as I haven't heard a thing at all from them!

i decided to apply for some undergrad courses as competition seems so tough! i applied to de montfort & leeds met too :smile: i also put in application for birmingham cos it was also 3 years! x
Original post by sineadp

Hey. The decision should be on the online applications system/portal thingy. I didn't get an interview at UCL, boo. x
Reply 218
Have you had any contact with city at all after the email confirming that you had submitted an application? im getting a bit nervous as I haven't heard a thing at all from them!

i decided to apply for some undergrad courses as competition seems so tough! i applied to de montfort & leeds met too :smile: i also put in application for birmingham cos it was also 3 years! x

None at all, but I'm pretty sure they look at applications after January 15th so not to worry - Also part of me thinks no news is good news!!
Ahh good plan! What is your first choice? xx
Reply 219
ive applied to city, ucl, reading, newcastle & essex....i was rejected from reading but have interviews for UCL & Essex...haven't heard anything at all from city (has anyone else found this?) and Newcastle said they would get back to me in early 2012...

i decided to apply for some undergrad courses after reading what people have said in this forum & the general thought seems to be its best to apply for some to sort of cover all bases!

how long did it take for leeds to get back to you with a decision? x

Congrats on the 2 interviews - I've also got an interview at UCL next week as well as one for Newcastle. I got the e-mail saying we won't hear till 2012 back in December and another email later the same day inviting me for interview!

How did you hear about your rejection from Reading? Did they e-mail you? I haven't heard anything from them yet.
No news from City either....

Quick Reply

Latest