The Student Room Group

How much is your car insurance?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Wow, and I thought my £212 was bad.

Seems others have it much worse and yet I have friends who are paying cheaper.

Really strange how it works. Must be where you live or something that determines cost.

I'm hoping after my first year with no claims it will go down. Even a little bit would help.

With driving now I'm really struggling to just fill up with petrol. I work just to pay for my car basically, and yet I need a car to get to work.

I was paying £173 a month, but that was with a Daewoo 800cc :redface:. Gone up as I now have a 1.4.

I'd recommend anyone who needs insurance to first check with Quinn. If you can get it with them then they seem to be the cheapest by far. At least I've found so anyway. Even at the cost I pay it's still only third party fire & theft which is like the very basic insurance.
Reply 21
Original post by justravi
Really? :O

Can you give specific car models such as which year M5 or which Vauxhall?

2007 BMW M5 for me is £1,400. Vauxhall Astra VXR is £1,300.

I think when I checked a few months ago the VXR was more, but besides, that's a stupidly small difference for a massive difference in car.
Reply 22
You're lucky lol, they wouldn't give me a quote at all, despite us receiving a letter saying 10% off.

I know, I was lucky to get any insurance at all! We didn't think they were being serious when they gave us that quote
Reply 23
Original post by Noble.
2007 BMW M5 for me is £1,400. Vauxhall Astra VXR is £1,300.

I think when I checked a few months ago the VXR was more, but besides, that's a stupidly small difference for a massive difference in car.

Wow!!

May I ask how many no claims bonus you have?

That's insane, I would have one if it was that cheap for me, currently paying too much for a diesel haha!

How much do you currently pay and which car is it? (Assuming you have one :smile:)

Original post by AquaDrops
I know, I was lucky to get any insurance at all! We didn't think they were being serious when they gave us that quote

It's probably because of gender and postcode I'm guessing, but it's amazing at how much difference that makes!
Reply 24
Wow!!

May I ask how many no claims bonus you have?

That's insane, I would have one if it was that cheap for me, currently paying too much for a diesel haha!

How much do you currently pay and which car is it? (Assuming you have one :smile:)

It's probably because of gender and postcode I'm guessing, but it's amazing at how much difference that makes!

I have 3 years no claims. I currently pay £700 for a Fiesta (MK5) but have spent the last 2 months trying to decide what new (used) car I'm going to get.
Reply 25
Original post by TB.93
Coop insurance is crap though - they monitor your driving 24/7. They quoted
me the cheapest but I paid more for Admiral because there terms were reasonable.

They monitor for driving but it hasn't affected me much. I drive over the speed limit, I drive at night, I accelerate and break harshly, and my insurance premium is still set to go down in a couple weeks.

You have fun paying double what I do for probably the same driving :borat:

Edit: Also it's fully comp and I'll have a NCB.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
Diesel???

Diesel is so much more expensive than unleaded.

Unleaded for the win.
Reply 27
Original post by Noble.
I have 3 years no claims. I currently pay £700 for a Fiesta (MK5) but have spent the last 2 months trying to decide what new (used) car I'm going to get.

What are you looking at? May I suggest an M5 lool, insurance will certainly not be an issue, although running costs might.

Original post by Yawn11
They monitor for driving but it hasn't affected me much. I drive over the speed limit, I drive at night, I accelerate and break harshly, and my insurance premium is still set to go down in a couple weeks.

I don't (in the city) even though I'm not being tracked, it's not a good thing to speed!
I bet doing 90mph may effect it though, as I'm guessing all the speeding you're doing is below 70mph.

Original post by Thomas x
Diesel???

Diesel is so much more expensive than unleaded.

Unleaded for the win.

Yeah, but I needed a car and it came along at the right time.
It's much more expensive than my last car which was a petrol, I only get 20(ish)mpg out of this, if i'm lucky lol! I think I saw it hit 40mpg on the motorway once but no amount of sensible driving gets it to 30mpg in town.
Reply 28
Mine is about €300 yearly on a Vitz. I'm turning 20 soon. Have had my license for a year.
Reply 29
What are you looking at? May I suggest an M5 lool, insurance will certainly not be an issue, although running costs might.

I don't (in the city) even though I'm not being tracked, it's not a good thing to speed!
I bet doing 90mph may effect it though, as I'm guessing all the speeding you're doing is below 70mph.

Yeah, but I needed a car and it came along at the right time.
It's much more expensive than my last car which was a petrol, I only get 20(ish)mpg out of this, if i'm lucky lol! I think I saw it hit 40mpg on the motorway once but no amount of sensible driving gets it to 30mpg in town.

Hahaha, funnily enough I have looked at the 335i and the 535D (I'm not mad enough to get the M5). I like the new Mondeo as well (2.5T Titanium X Sport to be specific). I might go nuts and blow it all on a Jaguar XF though - I'd have one over a 5 series TBH.
Reply 30
I'm 17. 1.4 litre Vauxhall Corsa (about 20 years old), 8 months insurance comes to about £3000.
Reply 31
My first car was a honda jazz 1.4, £1.3k with a friend as a named driver, third party fire and theft, renewal came round and was quoted £1.8k so i sold my car cos i just couldn't afford it xD

I've been looking around for another car recently, but i've been getting like £2.5k - £3k for the insurance.

Absolutely ridiculous! >_< I'll just have to stick with hiring cars on a pay-as-you-go basis...
Reply 32
Original post by Yawn11

Edit: Also it's fully comp and I'll have a NCB.

Mine is £1400 per year on a Renault 07 clio with no restrictions whatsoever - there is no stupid box telling me to slow down!! No claims bonus is also included. I am 17 - I highly doubt you can beat that! Admiral is definatly one of the best when it comes to good fair insurance quotes!
Reply 33
Mines £600 a year fully comp, Morris Minor :smile: FTW!
Reply 34
Original post by TB.93
Mine is £1400 per year on a Renault 07 clio with no restrictions whatsoever - there is no stupid box telling me to slow down!! No claims bonus is also included. I am 17 - I highly doubt you can beat that! Admiral is definatly one of the best when it comes to good fair insurance quotes!

And yet wanted to charge me over 3k when I pay much less than that with Quinn.
Reply 35
Original post by TB.93

£1400 for a 17 year old driver, I'm assuming you're the main driver since you're gonna get a NCB. Honestly, I find it hard to believe. Probably a named driver on your parents policy.

And bitch your neg earlier had absolutely 0 effect. It would be cruel to even think of giving it back to you.

BIAAAAATTTTCCHHHHHH
Reply 36
This last year - first year of driving/straight after passing my test I've been paying £160 a month for a 1.5 Renault Clio dci (it would have been much less if I could have afforded a lump sum but sadly couldn't at the time!)
Coming up for renewal in a couple of weeks, so I have 1 year NCB, found quotes for £750 for the year fully comp which I think is a pretty impressive drop! :smile:

I'm female and 22 btw, passed last April.

Ps - I've found my diesel good value for money, normally get about 50mpg, more on long motorway runs.
Reply 37
i cant even get insured on my dads bmw 520d 09 reg. Tesco said its too high group for me!!! they wouldnt even temporarily cover me! im 17 and passed 5 months ago.
OK if any of you are over 25 forget regular policies and go for alternative vehicles.

i.e. A classic car (something that was considered interesting in its time and is now over 15 years old)

lots of japanese sports cars fall into this. i.e. Mr2 etc.

not only will the car not devalue, it may increase in value, so its then worthwhile getting good repairs done. There are also loads going for peanuts, so you can basically take your pick and find a good one.

Best of all insurance is cheap. Im paying £180 a year for a v6 calibra comp, plus the agreed values are higher than regular policies. its the same price for an old Porsche 944 (dont fancy parts prices though).

Miles are limited to 3000 a year, but you can add more as required for not much. get a pre 1974 vehicle like an old land rover or MG midget and there is no road tax to pay.

Another method if you dont want old sports car, is campervan insurance. I converted a small 5 year old van to campervan using DVLA guidelines for campervan requirments. It costs me again about £180 year comp. Also gives you a mobile travel space which is great for taking a break and still having somewhere to study.

Insurance being this cheap allows me to run 2 vehicles which is good if one has a problem. If i think i am not going to use one vehicle say over winter or summer, I can cash in the road tax SORN it, and retax it online if i need to use it in emergency.
Reply 39
Original post by Yawn11
£1400 for a 17 year old driver, I'm assuming you're the main driver since you're gonna get a NCB. Honestly, I find it hard to believe. Probably a named driver on your parents policy.

And bitch your neg earlier had absolutely 0 effect. It would be cruel to even think of giving it back to you.

BIAAAAATTTTCCHHHHHH

Oh shut up! And I'm on my dads policy actually! It's called
Negotiating. Don't be jealous cos you're on the coop insurance who make you drive like your still doing lessons. And I didn't neg you?!

Quick Reply

Latest