The Student Room Group

Sexist Street Names

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
O noez not many streets are named after womyn!!!1 Well, if you'd done more than **** out babies for 99% of history maybe you'd have gotten more street names. U mad feminists? U mad.
Reply 21
Original post by Playa10
A tiny proportion of streets in Rome are named after women, while nearly half are named after men - and it is a similar story in other major cities around the world. Outrageous sexism, a simple fact of history, or both?

Seriously? Don't feminists have more important issues to tackle?

Here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17203823

To be honest the average person doesn't even notice this or cares. They are making issues out of the past which has gone.

Now some are saying
"We don't want to re-name streets - we want new streets to be named after women” Maria Pia Ercolini"

That seems sexist, if all the new streets are named after women, we live in a equal society today,so why not equal consideration. What happened in the past is past, no ones going to change historic places named after men, it would cause a lot of issues. So would what they are doing.......

You can't change the past, but doesn't give the excuse to act unequal in today's society by giving women all the new street names.
Reply 22
Original post by Iqbal007
To be honest the average person doesn't even notice this or cares. They are making issues out of the past which has gone.

Now some are saying
"We don't want to re-name streets - we want new streets to be named after women” Maria Pia Ercolini"

That seems sexist, if all the new streets are named after women, we live in a equal society today,so why not equal consideration. What happened in the past is past, no ones going to change historic places named after men, it would cause a lot of issues. So would what they are doing.......

You can't change the past, but doesn't give the excuse to act unequal in today's society by giving women all the new street names.

You can't logic with feminists
Well sorry but having good sandwich making skills is not enough to have a street named after you.
Reply 24
Original post by RabbitCFH
Well sorry but having good sandwich making skills is not enough to have a street named after you.

Hey...making a sandwich is no easy task...the tuna has to be proportionate to the mayonnaise
Original post by Playa10
Hey...making a sandwich is no easy task...the tuna has to be proportionate to the mayonnaise

In this case I demand a street to be named after me!
These Hoes need to get back into their kitchen and make dinner before their husband get's home from work not doing bloody interviews
Reply 27
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
This, and a good point. I think it's more important to raise the well-being and rights of women in genuinely oppressive countries/cultures before we make a massive non-issue out of whether a street is named after a man or a woman.

Most cultures have been paternalistic throughout history, doesn't mean we should protest against museums or whatever that display their artefacts.

What is important is now, and making sure women get fair treatment presently.

I completely agree. Clearly most streets were named at a time when society was far more paternalistic, and there's nothing we can do about that. We should carry on naming streets after people who have contributed a lot to society—whether they are men or women—and stop getting caught up with details like this.

What's ironic is that, on the BBC page about this issue (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17203823), there's a woman talking about street names in Afghanistan and that "there is one street named after a woman in Kabul," but no others. As if Afghanistan doesn't have bigger problems, particularly concerning women's rights. I agree that this is a reflection on Afghan society which is often repressive of women, but the solution is not to "plan to name some of the streets after women" as she suggests.
The most superfluous non-issue of the day

Silly, silly woman
Only one member of my family has a street named after them, and that's a man.
Reply 30
heaven forbid a centuries old street isnt named after a women :redface:
Reply 31
The names are surnames anyway, you'll only realise they were named after men if you go digging. If you had every street called "Tom's road", "Dick's Avenue" and "Harry's Lane" then there might be a case to answer.
Reply 32
"Getting back in the Kitchen Boulevard"

Awesome street name :colone:
Reply 33
Freakin' bra burners!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending