The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

This thread's still going? :holmes:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by faithxfaye
Wow. Reading OP's experience has totally shocked me. I felt like o really wants to go to St Andrews and that's why I put it down as a choice. I'm a very sociable person, I like going out an having a good time eg bars, gigs etc. I don't know anymore...

Have you read the whole thread?
I would advise you do, along with other threads in this forum to get both sides of it. Believe me, I like going out and having a good time and I certainly do at St Andrews (just like the majority of students).
Reply 402
Original post by kka25
Regarding St. Andrews, the town. I love it! :love:

It's rather isolated but if he is into those sort of things like I do, then he would enjoy it I believe. In order to go to St. Andrews from Edinburgh, you would need to take a train and then a bus to reach St. Andrews. The journey from Edinburgh to St. Andrews is lovely. The train would cross over this bridge over looking the sea and the view is stunning! You could see the small houses and cottages along the way. Beautiful.

So I guess if he's all stressed out with Uni work, he could just take a train, relax, enjoy the view to Edinburgh and have fun in a larger city if he wants to :smile:

Once you reach a station near St. Andrews, he would need to take the bus to St. Andrews. The station is next to a farm! It's beautiful! But not sure how it looks like during Winter or Autumn. Must be gloomy like anywhere I guess :K:

The buses are quite modern for a small town like St. Andrews. Don't expect talking machine buses like in London or the subways in NYC lol. But it's a nice, decent bus :smile:

You don't need to take the bus and train from Leuchars. You can take the x59 bus direct to Edinburgh. takes just over 1hour 30mins and costs just over £10 for a return ticket. Much better way of getting to Edinburgh.
Reply 403
Original post by faithxfaye
Wow. Reading OP's experience has totally shocked me. I felt like o really wants to go to St Andrews and that's why I put it down as a choice. I'm a very sociable person, I like going out an having a good time eg bars, gigs etc. I don't know anymore...

As Ecosse_14 said, please read the rest of the forum and the opinion of other students before you judge St Andrews. There will always be someone who doesn't like a university. I have friends who went to a number of good London unis (UCL, KCL and LSE) who dropped out because they just didn't enjoy the atmosphere. Every uni has drop outs! But there are plenty of students who go to St Andrews every year and who love it. Student satisfaction figures for St Andrews are quite high!

There are plenty of bars in St Andrews. Someone once told me there were more pubs per square mile in St Andrews than anywhere else in the UK (i'm not sure how true that is) but theres plenty of opportunities to go out. I go out more than some of my friends who go to unis in big cities! There are loads of hosue parties and unique traditions like raisin weekend and the may dip. Personally, I have a very active social life and I love St Andrews. Please read some more of the forum and not just this post!
Reply 404
Original post by Oh-WOW
You don't need to take the bus and train from Leuchars. You can take the x59 bus direct to Edinburgh. takes just over 1hour 30mins and costs just over £10 for a return ticket. Much better way of getting to Edinburgh.

Owh really? Great to know :smile:

But would the bus go through the bridge that overlooks the sea? I just love that ocean view. It's so calming :love: When I took the train, I saw this huge bridge (bluish color) whiles the train was passing by it. So I would hope the bus would go through that bridge to reach St. Andrews :smile:

I wonder as well how it would look like during winter. Must be gloomy :K:
Reply 405
Original post by kka25

Nah, not really.
Reply 406
Original post by kka25
Owh really? Great to know :smile:

But would the bus go through the bridge that overlooks the sea? I just love that ocean view. It's so calming :love: When I took the train, I saw this huge bridge (bluish color) whiles the train was passing by it. So I would hope the bus would go through that bridge to reach St. Andrews :smile:

Yes. the bus goes over the forth road bridge. which is the one adjacent to the rail bridge that the train goes over...
You can also take the x58/x60 that goes to Edinburgh via the coastal route so you would have lots of sea views. but it does take a while longer to get there.
Reply 407
Original post by Oh-WOW
Yes. the bus goes over the forth road bridge. which is the one adjacent to the rail bridge that the train goes over...
You can also take the x58/x60 that goes to Edinburgh via the coastal route so you would have lots of sea views. but it does take a while longer to get there.

Thank you :hugs:

I miss the old burnt down chapel really :smile:
Original post by moonlight_freakout
I really appreciate that you wrote that. I actually decided not to apply there, because, coming from Milan, it would take just too much to arrive than, let's say, london where there are about 30 flights per day.
But now i see that I might have done the correct choice!

Although, if you feel that way, you could try to transfer out? just a thought!

do not go to london. it is expensive and cramped. i think you may want to go to a uni where it is easy to get london every now and then and go shopping and clubbing. the small appartments do not justify the ridculous rent. I go goldsmiths which is in the middle of a **** hole and it £500 a month rent. so central london prices will be worse
Reply 409
Original post by halfoflessthan50p

I often felt bitter that I wasnt getting the real university experience aswell. I wanted to live in a small campus town where there were lots of students all living close to each other and where there was a sense of community.Castles, rabbits, house parties and beach parties sounds like heaven to me. Which just goes to prove what everyone has been saying - each to their own and go to the bloody open day before you agree to spend 3 years of your life living somewhere!

Exactly x 10000. I wish I went to a smaller uni to feel more integrated - in my three years at University of London, I made about two friends. I didn't get the chance to dorm, so I never felt integrated or like I was a real part of anything. And this happens to a LOT of people in London -- most of my friends were made through internships, etc.

This is why right now, for postgrad, I am applying to places like St Andrew's and Bath to gain the chance to really experience student life. My best friend goes to St Andrew's and I recently visited her and LOVED it. I had the most fun weekend ever - we went to the Oktoberfest and then some after-party in a lighthouse type of setting and the next day, went to a house party where we partied til 4am.

It really is what you make of it
Might I make a request then? Everyone who is hesitant of accepting their offers please do not accept and go elsewhere. I mean really...
Reply 411
Original post by Usernameitis
Might I make a request then? Everyone who is hesitant of accepting their offers please do not accept and go elsewhere. I mean really...

There are plenty of reasons why anyone could be hesitating to accept their offer. It may be financially or because they got other good offers? I mean really...
Original post by perlsh
There are plenty of reasons why anyone could be hesitating to accept their offer. It may be financially or because they got other good offers? I mean really...

Yes, but these issues in no way pertain to the topic we're discussing here.
Reply 413
This has gone way off topic and should probably be closed.
Reply 414
Faaakin hell! According to Google maps St Andrews the same size as Palmers Green! I can see how that would drive you nuts if you were from London.
Reply 415
Original post by alexandradenis
do not go to london. it is expensive and cramped. i think you may want to go to a uni where it is easy to get london every now and then and go shopping and clubbing. the small appartments do not justify the ridculous rent. I go goldsmiths which is in the middle of a **** hole and it £500 a month rent. so central london prices will be worse

Yeah that's Goldsmiths. Not every uni is in the South London ghetto. Imperial and UCL and LSE are in really nice areas. Especially Imperial.
Reply 416
Original post by spacefox
Exactly x 10000. I wish I went to a smaller uni to feel more integrated - in my three years at University of London, I made about two friends. I didn't get the chance to dorm

What college?
O.K, to try and bring this back on topic: @alexandradenis and spacefox I understand what your stating, I am a Londoner myself but would NOT want to attend a University in London because the cost of living is very high here unless you live at home, and also I agree to an extent, I think it's harder to form close bonds with people when you only have lectures and live in such a spread out city where thers so much going on, as opossed to a moderately sized town or city where things and people are less spread out. Also, there is a lot more going on in London, but that can be a drawback in many ways because it's harder to organise get togethers as opossed to a slightly smaller place where you might feel integrated, so I empathise with what you're saying- I could understand someone feeling really lost in London if they haven't grown up here.

St Andrews, however is the other extreme, I would argue, yes its smaller and theres a greater concentration of poeple so it has a more local feel, but theres also a lot less going on in the place...and personally, in my experience, its quite limited socially *especially if you're not part of the hosue party scene*... so I think the best University experiences are in places where theres a balance- where the place is not so huge that you never get to connect with peopele, yet not so small that it becomes boring and claustrophobic and monotonous after a few months and you begin to feel like there's nothing new to see.
Reply 418
Original post by Boyan
hah, sounds awful .. please Imperial accept me!

Hah! And u believe in Imperial u will have a better life?? I am rejecting Imperial to go St Andrews cause asked lots of people about both unis. Research a bit before considering anything ..
I have JUST firmed for St. Andrews, and youre not saying anything new! We, prospective students, KNOW it is a small place. I come from Lima, a chaotic, dirty and dangerous Latin American capital of 5 million habitants, maybe some change could be good? I want a peaceful place to study, and I can party when I come back here for the holidays, or maybe if I go to London someday, or in Edinbourgh -it isnt that far away!

Latest

Trending

Trending