The Student Room Group

White spots after shaving

Hi , I've been shaving for a few years now, and recently I started having white spots after shaving.

I've always used an electric shaver, never used any after-shave or pre-shave, never moisturized, and never had any problems.

However about a month ago, I hadn't shaved for two weeks, my beard was pretty thick, so I figured I should use a normal zazor (Mach 3 gilette). The following day I had so many white spots and razor bumps on the chin and especially around the lips (it was probably ingrown hairs due to a bad shave).

I only used a razor once, I'm back to the electric shaver, but now I get white spots after each shave, but I don't think they're ingrown hairs this time (no bumps). I shave every 3 days.

And I really don't know what to do. Should I shave more frequently? What's your routine with an electric shaver? Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 1
When I started shaving with a razor my skin used to get quite irritated and I did get wee white spots,

but after a few weeks of shaving with a razor, I don't seem to get it anymore.

The degree of irritation seemed to depend on how big of a shave job it was, but I think it just takes a bit of time for your skin to toughen up and get used to the metal
I used to get those kind of shaving bump spots with electric razors or cartridge razors. When I switched to using safety razors (I use a merkur) with proper gear (a brush and soap) then my skin cleared up and the shave was much better. You just need to put a bit of time and money into getting the right initial gear (it lasts for ages so you save money in the long run) and learning the correct technique for the safety razor and then shaving becomes much more comfortable.
Reply 3
Ive never gotten any white spots, and I dont do any pre-shaving stuff other than make putting slightly hot water on my face. Afterwards I put moisturiser on.
Reply 4
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I used to get those kind of shaving bump spots with electric razors or cartridge razors. When I switched to using safety razors (I use a merkur) with proper gear (a brush and soap) then my skin cleared up and the shave was much better. You just need to put a bit of time and money into getting the right initial gear (it lasts for ages so you save money in the long run) and learning the correct technique for the safety razor and then shaving becomes much more comfortable.

boots do a low price double edge razor... Dunno how much better the expensive stuff is but it works alright, it's a very classic design now so i can't see how there's much room for improvement. you could set yourself up for less than buying a pack of fusion refils. I'm using some supermax3 shaving soap with aloe that I got from the pound shop and it's perfectly good, comes in a tube so you have to pay attention or you'll end up brushing your teeth with it :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by 0Muzzles0
When I started shaving with a razor my skin used to get quite irritated and I did get wee white spots,

but after a few weeks of shaving with a razor, I don't seem to get it anymore.

The degree of irritation seemed to depend on how big of a shave job it was, but I think it just takes a bit of time for your skin to toughen up and get used to the metal

I only used a razor once, I'm using an electric shaver as I always have, but now I get white spots after shaving, and that is quite strange and uncommon for me.
Reply 6
Clean your skin afterwards with soapy water/surgical spirit & cotton wool.

Quick Reply

Latest