The Student Room Group

David Cameron: "The time has come for gay couples to marry"

He's basically reaffirming his support to this cause. Personally I think it's going to be legalised in the near future. Thoughts?

Read it here

I found the news on a Twitter trend, and there are other articles online if you question the reliability.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A positive step forward. Finally society is becoming more rational. :smile:
Fantastic, possibly one of the only half witted things I've heard him say.
Reply 3
Good.
'I support gay marriage because I am a Conservative' -LMAO one of the most contradictory clown statements I've ever seen hahahaha
Reply 5
Original post by Mad Vlad
David Cameron: "The time has come for gay couples to marry"

Do we have to? :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by NB_ide
Do we have to? :s-smilie:

Do we have to what?
Reply 7
I like that our right-wing politicians are even more progressive than America's left. Makes me proud of Britain.
Reply 8
Original post by Mad Vlad
Do we have to what?

Get married...
Reply 9
Original post by NB_ide
Get married...

No.
Disappointing to say the least.

If by granting gays marriage rights increases their willingness to "come out", then I can see nothing good or progressive in this. I fear that the social pressure will inevitably increase, and the statistics for depression and suicides will also be higher.

For a mere title, it was/is not worth it.

Edit: read before you judge (and be objective)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by badcheesecrispy
'I support gay marriage because I am a Conservative' -LMAO one of the most contradictory clown statements I've ever seen hahahaha

Their economically conservative not socially conservative.

Original post by Happydude
I like that our right-wing politicians are even more progressive than America's left. Makes me proud of Britain.

It's not really democrats fault. It's only recently that America's public support for gay marriage outweigh their opposition to it. Support for gay marriage has risen by 20% in 16 years. I wouldn't be surprised if it's past between the next 10 years. I don't think democrat politicians oppose it.
Reply 12
Original post by Perseveranze

If by granting gays marriage rights increases their willingness to "come out", then I can see nothing good or progressive in this. I fear that the social pressure will inevitably increase, and the statistics for depression and suicides will also be higher.

You've made me disslike organised religion a percentage more, as you're Islamic.

Spoiler

Reply 13
He's doing this for votes. It is as plain as the scar on Helen Mirren's cheek.
He's changed his tune. Not so long ago, I heard he was regretting it all. At last, a second tory (after the legendary Winston Churchill, who is the only tory that I will EVER admire) is making a good decision and good progress.
Original post by Happydude

:rolleyes:

Except that many areas - which consist of about the same population and size of the UK combined - have already passed same-sex marriage in the US, not least being New York State. Thus, the UK is hardly "more progressive" yet; particularly as a bill hasn't even been introduced, let alone been passed, which is not a sure thing given the resistance the proposal has met.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
It's not really democrats fault. It's only recently that America's public support for gay marriage outweigh their opposition to it. Support for gay marriage has risen by 20% in 16 years. I wouldn't be surprised if it's past between the next 10 years. I don't think democrat politicians oppose it.

Fair enough. I often forget that their job hinges on the votes of the American public... I'm not even going to start.
Reply 17
Original post by Perseveranze

If by granting gays marriage rights increases their willingness to "come out", then I can see nothing good or progressive in this. I fear that the social pressure will inevitably increase, and the statistics for depression and suicides will also be higher. [Citation Needed]

What the hell are you going on about? Evidence to back up your hate is required. And no, your irrelevant religious scripture does not qualify as qualitative proof.
Original post by MirandaPanda
:rolleyes:

Except that many areas - which consist of about the same population and size of the UK combined - have already passed same-sex marriage in the US, not least being New York State. Thus, the UK is hardly "more progressive" yet; particularly as a bill hasn't even been introduced, let alone been passed, which is not a sure thing given the resistance the proposal has met.

I think that it is down to differences in how our countries are governed, rather than reluctance to allow it.
About bloody time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending