The Student Room Group

My Placement

I do Computer Science, and my 3rd year is a placement year. My dad knows somebody who works for an ethical hacking company called the NCC Group (World's biggest ethical hacking company). He was saying he could sort me a placement there, recommended a few text books to get and even told me if I done alright at the placement, chances are I'd get a job there. He's 24 and he's on a massive wage already with large company car allowances etc.. plus he travels around the world for clients such as facebook and microsoft. Having just come back from Jersey last week and San Francisco the week before he is well travelled.

It sounds like an amazing opportunity. Do you think I should chase it up?
Original post by Tragic
I do Computer Science, and my 3rd year is a placement year. My dad knows somebody who works for an ethical hacking company called the NCC Group (World's biggest ethical hacking company). He was saying he could sort me a placement there, recommended a few text books to get and even told me if I done alright at the placement, chances are I'd get a job there. He's 24 and he's on a massive wage already with large company car allowances etc.. plus he travels around the world for clients such as facebook and microsoft. Having just come back from Jersey last week and San Francisco the week before he is well travelled.

It sounds like an amazing opportunity. Do you think I should chase it up?

NCC's a highly successful, growing and acquisitive company - I think it's definitely something to follow up on! You don't say where you'd be based, but I've been in their Manchester offices and they're very impressive.
Reply 2
Original post by Illusionary
NCC's a highly successful, growing and acquisitive company - I think it's definitely something to follow up on! You don't say where you'd be based, but I've been in their Manchester offices and they're very impressive.

It's the Manchester Office yeah. The way I see is it's an opportunity most people can't get and I've only gotten because of my dad's connections. Although the world is based on relationships so I want to follow it up as good as I can.
Not to mention that that line of work is probably some of the most interesting and exciting work you'll find in IT. You've got to be smart though.
Reply 4
Yeah, I reckon if I study hard enough I'd be able to do it easily.
Reply 5
Your dad is 24?
Reply 6
Original post by Matty919
Your dad is 24?

No, the guy he knows is 24. He's the brother of somebody my dad works with.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Good for you, pal.
I myself wanna land a job in IT Security (most likely ethical hacking/pen testing) so I am a bit jelly :smile:
Don`t waste this opportunity BUT make sure you actually enjoy security cause if u don`t, this is just gonna be a really annoying job for you even if u get it. It`s not all "glamor and fame" and your criteria for the job should not be a salary. No matter how much money you will earn, you will be misserable later on if u don`t enjoy what you are doing.
However, it sounds like an awesome opportunity if you enjoy InfoSec.
Cheers
Reply 8
Original post by THESHade
Good for you, pal.
I myself wanna land a job in IT Security (most likely ethical hacking/pen testing) so I am a bit jelly :smile:
Don`t waste this opportunity BUT make sure you actually enjoy security cause if u don`t, this is just gonna be a really annoying job for you even if u get it. It`s not all "glamor and fame" and your criteria for the job should not be a salary. No matter how much money you will earn, you will be misserable later on if u don`t enjoy what you are doing.
However, it sounds like an awesome opportunity if you enjoy InfoSec.
Cheers

Yeah I like the whole idea of it. Think I'll chase it up. :smile:
Reply 9
Just want to say! That's an amazing placement!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending