The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Physics at Glasgow

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ninja_pidgeon
Hmmm I think Cabin in the Woods and Iron Skies are my favourites this year, I was a bit disappointed in MIB3 cause I guessed the ending about halve way through and was completely right ( not very good in a film ) however The Pact has got to be worst film this year, it is absolute drivel. Ive not seen the New spiderman movie yet, but anything is better than the last ones ( personally I'm a DC man but there are a few Marvel character I like). As for AH I think I could have done better in maths but I've definitely got an A in graphics ( I went into the exam only needing 26 out of 80 cause of my projects) and an A physics. Soooo....any plans for the rest of your holidays

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

For MIB3 I kinda had a feeling about who the guy that let them into the rocket launch bit was. Don't want to go into any more detail and spoil it for other people :wink: for me, I really thought snow white and the huntsman was rubbish. Apart from kristen Stewart's horrendous acting, it was just really average :/
I think my chemistry exam has went okay but for some reason I always seem to do really really badly in the multiple choice but really well in the rest do hopefully that has pulled my grade up :smile: I didn't study enough for maths and I knew it before I even sat down. Counted up my marks at the end and I think I might have a B but really not sure :frown: my physics teacher seemed to have lost the ability to actually teach by the time we got to the 3rd unit so I had to teach myself it the night before the exam :s-smilie: hopefully I've got an A though and I'm expecting a very high mark for my investigation cos I put tons and tons of work into it :smile: what did you investigate for ah physics? I did Planck's constant.
I'm going on holiday soon and then I'm seeing the two semi finals of the women's basketball at the Olympics. You got any plans? :smile:

Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by LynneEss
For MIB3 I kinda had a feeling about who the guy that let them into the rocket launch bit was. Don't want to go into any more detail and spoil it for other people :wink: for me, I really thought snow white and the huntsman was rubbish. Apart from kristen Stewart's horrendous acting, it was just really average :/
I think my chemistry exam has went okay but for some reason I always seem to do really really badly in the multiple choice but really well in the rest do hopefully that has pulled my grade up :smile: I didn't study enough for maths and I knew it before I even sat down. Counted up my marks at the end and I think I might have a B but really not sure :frown: my physics teacher seemed to have lost the ability to actually teach by the time we got to the 3rd unit so I had to teach myself it the night before the exam :s-smilie: hopefully I've got an A though and I'm expecting a very high mark for my investigation cos I put tons and tons of work into it :smile: what did you investigate for ah physics? I did Planck's constant.
I'm going on holiday soon and then I'm seeing the two semi finals of the women's basketball at the Olympics. You got any plans? :smile:

I verified bernoullis equation which resulted in me getting soaked and shocked an unthinkable amount times ( cause I had to think up and make two of the experiments lol) Erm going to a festival, camping with some mates and a ton of gigs. Nice, I prefer the winter olympics and x games as they have sports I prefer in it but basket ball is one of the few 'regular' sports I like, I can't stand football!!!!!!!!!! As for Kristen Stewart.... Kill it with fire before it can breed. :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
I got AAAAB for my highers. Had to get a tutor to even get a B in English though :L
I did some work experience in Glasgow uni's chemistry department; volunteered for Renfrewshire council & for Glasgow humane society; helped a new first year at my school; played/coached/refereed basketball.
As long as it seems like you have an interest in physics as well as other stuff you should pretty much seem like an okay person in your personal statement.
If you get the grades to do it & can go somewhere that offers it then I would recommend taking advanced higher physics cos it means that you'll have a lot more of the skills you're gonna need for physics at uni :smile:

I'm doing AH Maths, Physics and Computing :]
Reply 23
Original post by IsaacJ
I'm doing AH Maths, Physics and Computing :]

One word of advice for physics. Get your investigation out the way asap. It will give you at lot more time for studying towards the end of the course

Reply 24
I verified bernoullis equation which resulted in me getting soaked and shocked an unthinkable amount times ( cause I had to think up and make two of the experiments lol) Erm going to a festival, camping with some mates and a ton of gigs. Nice, I prefer the winter olympics and x games as they have sports I prefer in it but basket ball is one of the few 'regular' sports I like, I can't stand football!!!!!!!!!! As for Kristen Stewart.... Kill it with fire before it can breed. :smile:

Tbh I didn't have a clue what Bernoulli's equation was until I googled it just now :tongue: sounds pretty complicated to try and come up with experiments for it :s-smilie:
I used to do a lot of snowboarding but I've never really watched proper professionals at the olympics or anything
Basketball is definitely waaay better than football :wink:
I prefer "Kill it before it lays eggs!!" when it comes to the twilight movies :wink: although I will admit to loving the books... D:
Reply 25
Tbh I didn't have a clue what Bernoulli's equation was until I googled it just now :tongue: sounds pretty complicated to try and come up with experiments for it :s-smilie:
I used to do a lot of snowboarding but I've never really watched proper professionals at the olympics or anything
Basketball is definitely waaay better than football :wink:
I prefer "Kill it before it lays eggs!!" when it comes to the twilight movies :wink: although I will admit to loving the books... D:

It wasn't too bad, just had to manipulate equations of motion for one, had one I found on the Internet and another that involved a homemade venturi meter. Surprisingly they were very accurate values and my uncertainties were very low (+-0.02%) I too used to do a lot snowboarding but I've not had much time this past year :frown: all sports are better than football lol.
There's nothing that bad with the books (way better than 50 shades of sh*t anyway) but I can't stand the movies

Reply 26
It wasn't too bad, just had to manipulate equations of motion for one, had one I found on the Internet and another that involved a homemade venturi meter. Surprisingly they were very accurate values and my uncertainties were very low (+-0.02%) I too used to do a lot snowboarding but I've not had much time this past year :frown: all sports are better than football lol.
There's nothing that bad with the books (way better than 50 shades of sh*t anyway) but I can't stand the movies

Planck's constant was surprisingly easy to investigate but my second experiment had a s**t ton of calculations in it & I had to repeat it three times to get the best results :frown: most of my experiments had pretty large uncertainties by the time you combined them all :/ but I'm not too bothered since I still managed to get good results out of them.
Are there any groups/sports teams at uni that you might join this year?
Have you actually read the 50 shades trilogy then to know its s**t? :wink: :P

Reply 27
Planck's constant was surprisingly easy to investigate but my second experiment had a s**t ton of calculations in it & I had to repeat it three times to get the best results :frown: most of my experiments had pretty large uncertainties by the time you combined them all :/ but I'm not too bothered since I still managed to get good results out of them.
Are there any groups/sports teams at uni that you might join this year?
Have you actually read the 50 shades trilogy then to know its s**t? :wink: :P

Ha yeah I had ridiculous amounts of calculations, my whole thing in total was just over 50 pages :/ yeah as long as you bet good results thats all that matters. Ermm yeah, I'm defos joining the scuba club as I have my advanced diver licence and probably gonna join the kendo and american football team sports club wise but as for groups idk probably join the pc gaming group, gugs and the mechatronics group but I'll probably wait and see. Yourself? And I started reading the first one but the writing and plot were sooooo poor I stopped about 1/3 of the way through

Reply 28
Ha yeah I had ridiculous amounts of calculations, my whole thing in total was just over 50 pages :/ yeah as long as you bet good results thats all that matters. Ermm yeah, I'm defos joining the scuba club as I have my advanced diver licence and probably gonna join the kendo and american football team sports club wise but as for groups idk probably join the pc gaming group, gugs and the mechatronics group but I'll probably wait and see. Yourself? And I started reading the first one but the writing and plot were sooooo poor I stopped about 1/3 of the way through

I think my final investigation was about 45 pages. Think I might be really annoyed if I don't get at least 22 for it...
Only club I am definitely joining is the basketball team. They're in a few different leagues this year so that's even better :smile:
Wow scuba diving sounds really interesting! Where abouts have you been going?
The plot doesn't get particularly interesting until the third one and it's not like people read it for the quality of the writing :wink: probably doesn't help that it's written from a girls point of view which must be kinda weird for a guy. Do you agree? :P

Reply 29
I think my final investigation was about 45 pages. Think I might be really annoyed if I don't get at least 22 for it...
Only club I am definitely joining is the basketball team. They're in a few different leagues this year so that's even better :smile:
Wow scuba diving sounds really interesting! Where abouts have you been going?
The plot doesn't get particularly interesting until the third one and it's not like people read it for the quality of the writing :wink: probably doesn't help that it's written from a girls point of view which must be kinda weird for a guy. Do you agree? :P

Yeah scuba is really good and some of the fish and marine life you see are gorgeous. I've mainly dived around the kenyain coast but I've done one or two else were. I really want to dive the ww2 wrecks in scapa flow ( waters in the north of Scotland) but I need dry suit and nitrox/deep dive training first. As for 50SOG it didnt help that it was her point of veiw plus I couldn't associate with any of the character and more importantly christian grey is an utter **** who I would happily punch in the face. So yeah it is kinda weird to read stuff like that from a female point of view being a guy but if it wasn't then the main plot wouldn't be as unique as it is . I suppose people aren't reading it for its riting quality but it would be it's only saving grace if there was some. Btw Im not a pure prude that thinks sex and stuff like that shouldnt be in novels but I just dont see the appeal in a book purely about that. Personally I would rather read a novel like 1984, atlas shrugged or metro 2033.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 30
Yeah scuba is really good and some of the fish and marine life you see are gorgeous. I've mainly dived around the kenyain coast but I've done one or two else were. I really want to dive the ww2 wrecks in scapa flow ( waters in the north of Scotland) but I need dry suit and nitrox/deep dive training first. As for 50SOG it didnt help that it was her point of veiw plus I couldn't associate with any of the character and more importantly christian grey is an utter **** who I would happily punch in the face. So yeah it is kinda weird to read stuff like that from a female point of view being a guy but if it wasn't then the main plot wouldn't be as unique as it is . I suppose people aren't reading it for its riting quality but it would be it's only saving grace if there was some. Btw Im not a pure prude that thinks sex and stuff like that shouldnt be in novels but I just dont see the appeal in a book purely about that. Personally I would rather read a novel like 1984, atlas shrugged or metro 2033.

Christian Gray is quite epic!! :tongue: I think most females feel that way about him because he's almost too perfect (except for the emotional problems & cr*p that affects him :wink: ) since he's rich, good looking etc. and then there's the sex parts too :L
I read a quite a lot but it's usually more science fiction/fantasy/thriller/horror books I go for than plotless romance smut :tongue:

Btw did you get an email from the senior advisor for the school of physics & astronomy yesterday telling us that we should be getting a letter in the post soon for course choices? And a bit about the courses?

Reply 31
Christian Gray is quite epic!! :tongue: I think most females feel that way about him because he's almost too perfect (except for the emotional problems & cr*p that affects him :wink: ) since he's rich, good looking etc. and then there's the sex parts too :L
I read a quite a lot but it's usually more science fiction/fantasy/thriller/horror books I go for than plotless romance smut :tongue:

Btw did you get an email from the senior advisor for the school of physics & astronomy yesterday telling us that we should be getting a letter in the post soon for course choices? And a bit about the courses?

I think how "perfect" he was the thing that made me not like him as no-one is actually like that. Does it actually say where he's from cause if he was from Yorkshire it would really ruin the seductiveness of his character. I like the exact same types of books as you lol but I also like political ones too. No I didn't, I just got the one with the dates yesterday lol but I got another email about accomodation aggghhhhhh there doing my head in. I already have a rough idea of what choices I'm doing. In first year I'm gonna do maths and physics like you have to do and astronomy as my third and in second year change to applied maths, physics and astronomy. Do you know what your gonna pick??

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 32
I think how "perfect" he was the thing that made me not like him as no-one is actually like that. Does it actually say where he's from cause if he was from Yorkshire it would really ruin the seductiveness of his character. I like the exact same types of books as you lol but I also like political ones too. No I didn't, I just got the one with the dates yesterday lol but I got another email about accomodation aggghhhhhh there doing my head in. I already have a rough idea of what choices I'm doing. In first year I'm gonna do maths and physics like you have to do and astronomy as my third and in second year change to applied maths, physics and astronomy. Do you know what your gonna pick??

Well the whole series is based in the US but I can't remember what state he came from.
So what are your favourite books?
I think I'm gonna choose astrophysics too :smile: I thought about chemistry but I hated advanced higher and first year chemistry will be just as bad or even worse so I've changed my mind about that!
I'm not even gonna think about second and third year until I've actually seen what the classes are like :tongue:

Reply 33
Well the whole series is based in the US but I can't remember what state he came from.
So what are your favourite books?
I think I'm gonna choose astrophysics too :smile: I thought about chemistry but I hated advanced higher and first year chemistry will be just as bad or even worse so I've changed my mind about that!
I'm not even gonna think about second and third year until I've actually seen what the classes are like :tongue:

Erm my current favourite books are: 1984, metro 2033, the stand, anno dracula and hitch hikes guild to the galaxy. I've not long finnished reading the elegant universe, which is very interesting but mind melting at the same time, and you can't beat a bit of LotR. How about yourself?
Yeah I'll probably see what classes are like too but I'm definitely doing applied maths for the simple fact I found the AH applied maths papers a lot more interesting and easy than normal maths lol plus it's wayyyyy more practical. I think its gonna be weird meeting so many new people at the same time, especially when very few of my friends are going to Glasgow (I can only think of two people)so it will be an experience. Do you have many people you know going?. Hopefully theres not as many 'snobs' as people say there are lol

(edited 11 years ago)
This guy got 98% for physics, 98% for maths and 96% for computing cause he mucked up his program at the last minute. He turned down a full scholarship at Cambridge too lol as he "could be bothered with posh English *****".

I wasn't aware there were scholarships for undergraduates in Britain. Is this a Scottish thing?
Reply 35
Na cambridge have a scholarship scheme for very high achieving pupils, he was 3rd in the uk. All I know is he was contacted by cambridge who said they would pay his fees and stuff because they wanted him at that uni but he turned it down

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Erm my current favourite books are: 1984, metro 2033, the stand, anno dracula and hitch hikes guild to the galaxy. I've not long finnished reading the elegant universe, which is very interesting but mind melting at the same time, and you can't beat a bit of LotR. How about yourself?
Yeah I'll probably see what classes are like too but I'm definitely doing applied maths for the simple fact I found the AH applied maths papers a lot more interesting and easy than normal maths lol plus it's wayyyyy more practical. I think its gonna be weird meeting so many new people at the same time, especially when very few of my friends are going to Glasgow (I can only think of two people)so it will be an experience. Do you have many people you know going?. Hopefully theres not as many 'snobs' as people say there are lol

Well I've read so many books that I can't really remember them all but I've always enjoyed the Inheritance series, most of David Edding's stuff, Dresden files and that's all I can think of just now without rifling through book shelves :L
I'm kinda nervous about having to get used to a different way of learning with a bunch of people you've never met. And having to find your way around although I've been to the Kelvin building quite a few times for open days, a tour and for my ah investigation.
I can only think of one girl going to Glasgow but there are probably more I don't know about. And since she's doing some biology thing I probably won't see her much.
I don't think there'll be many snobs. Maybe spoiled brats but they should grow up pretty soon hopefully! Lol

Reply 37
I really like the inheritance series too, just something about it that always makes me want to read on, and I've not read any of David Eddings stuff so I might have a look, you seem to have pretty good taste about everything else :smile: Yeah, I think adjusting to all the new people and learning style will be a bit weird but luckily weve both done AH stuff so settling in should be easier.
Hopefully there will be very few spoilt brats, my friend that went last year said her course had loads of them on it :frown:, but I guess we won't know till we get there. But I will defos not be judging the books by there cover, pardon the pun to the previous topic of discussion, if you know what I mean, I suppose theres atleast one other descent person on the course :smile: The only thing I'm not looking forward too is traveling there every morning. Are you gonna move to accommodation close by or just commute there?

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by IsaacJ
I'm planning on going to Glasgow for Physics 2013 Entry - Anyone got anything to recommend on getting in? Y'know what'd be really cool, if you guys/gals could tell me what grades you got and any Extra Curricular stuff you did to get in? ^.^ If it's not too nosey >.<

Hey, I got
AAAAB in 5th year, and my predicted grades are AAA for my adv highers (maths, physics, chemistry) and A for my other higher Im doing this year.

With regards to extra curricular activities, trust me they are not that important. I originally wanted to do medicine (then I discovered how boring it would be) and so my personal statement never even mentioned physics, it was all about medicine, yet I still got an unconditional. It obviously can't hurt to sell yourself as best you can, but for physics I think they are more focused on the academic achievement.

Oh and hey to the rest of you :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Mark_Firefly
Hey, I got
AAAAB in 5th year, and my predicted grades are AAA for my adv highers (maths, physics, chemistry) and A for my other higher Im doing this year.

With regards to extra curricular activities, trust me they are not that important. I originally wanted to do medicine (then I discovered how boring it would be) and so my personal statement never even mentioned physics, it was all about medicine, yet I still got an unconditional. It obviously can't hurt to sell yourself as best you can, but for physics I think they are more focused on the academic achievement.

Oh and hey to the rest of you :smile:

Hey :smile: how are you?

Yeah they definitely are more focused on grades and science related thing ( work experience and projects ) as opposed to you being a goally in your schools football team or something. I was the same, I originally want to do engineering but changed to physics cause of the lack of jobs in the field I wanted to go into and I hardly talked about my love of physics.
How are you feeling about results day?

(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply