The Student Room Group

Pizza Hut pay?

I'm thinking about applying. Wondering what the pay is like for a Team Member these days? Also are servers paid a wage which meets national minimum wage + tips or is it met using tips?

Scroll to see replies

My friend is 18 years old and I think he earns £4.90 p/h (unless I misheard him and is actually on £4.98 which is minimum wage). This is excluding tips.
I personally had a bad experience at Pizza Hut (and coincidentally, so did another person on a temp job I just left), but by all means go for it. They generally pay minimum wage before tips.
Reply 3
Original post by Emaemmaemily
I personally had a bad experience at Pizza Hut (and coincidentally, so did another person on a temp job I just left), but by all means go for it. They generally pay minimum wage before tips.

May I ask what caused it to be a bad experience for you? Or the other person? I generally just want to get a job which I'm going to earn a fairly decent amount of money from, and getting a job in a place that I do like as a customer, then I think I'd feel more satisfied with it.

Do you have any idea how much you made in tips on average per hour or day? And were they shared amongst the other workers, or did you get to keep all of what the customers at your tables left?
My friend works there taking orders over the phone and he's on minimum wage.
Original post by Chrisruptor
May I ask what caused it to be a bad experience for you? Or the other person? I generally just want to get a job which I'm going to earn a fairly decent amount of money from, and getting a job in a place that I do like as a customer, then I think I'd feel more satisfied with it.

Do you have any idea how much you made in tips on average per hour or day? And were they shared amongst the other workers, or did you get to keep all of what the customers at your tables left?

Well it was a few years ago that I actually worked there (2007), but my general experience was: not being treated nicely by my manager, having them stop giving me any hours to work, despite my contract, etc. I was contracted for 4 hours at the time, but I went 3 weeks where they just didn't rota me on, and ignored me when I tried to bring it up.
I was surprised when speaking to a co-worker in my temp job at Monsoon recently, because she started talking about having exactly the same experience at a Pizza Hut in Dunstable.

Things could well be different 5 years later, including the pay and tips system. While I was there you collected your own tips (it really varied, some days you could make £30 if it was busy and others hardly anything at all)
Reply 6
Hey there,

I used to work weekends at Pizza Hut. My pay regularly didn't go in when it was supposed to. When it did, I was getting taxed when I wasn't meant to be. I worked in the kitchen and often worked from opening to 11pm, well after the close, working the potwash and sweeping the floors. Personally I hated it. I also got in trouble for putting ice cubes in my water after hours of slaving away. Yeah...wasn't keen.
Reply 7
Well it was a few years ago that I actually worked there (2007), but my general experience was: not being treated nicely by my manager, having them stop giving me any hours to work, despite my contract, etc. I was contracted for 4 hours at the time, but I went 3 weeks where they just didn't rota me on, and ignored me when I tried to bring it up.
I was surprised when speaking to a co-worker in my temp job at Monsoon recently, because she started talking about having exactly the same experience at a Pizza Hut in Dunstable.

Things could well be different 5 years later, including the pay and tips system. While I was there you collected your own tips (it really varied, some days you could make £30 if it was busy and others hardly anything at all)

Oh, so you're not contracted to say two days per week or anything? :frown: Since you're only contracted for 4 hours, did you usually get more than that (aside from the 3 weeks they didnt rota you on)? Or did you have another part time job at the same time?

Original post by wafflelogic
Hey there,

I used to work weekends at Pizza Hut. My pay regularly didn't go in when it was supposed to. When it did, I was getting taxed when I wasn't meant to be. I worked in the kitchen and often worked from opening to 11pm, well after the close, working the potwash and sweeping the floors. Personally I hated it. I also got in trouble for putting ice cubes in my water after hours of slaving away. Yeah...wasn't keen.

Woah :frown: Were you able to solve the pay and tax issues in the end? Did you ever get to be a waiter? (To me, it seems pointless working there if you aren't going to be able to wait tables and get tips)

Seems like the warning bells are sounding. I don't know if the pizza hut I'd be applying to would be any different. :\ Maybe I should stick to good old Toys r' Us. See if they'll take me. :L It's the prospect of earning tips to earn above national minimum wage or even £6+ an hour which appeals to me though. I don't think a lot of retail stores pay above minimum wage, do they?
Oh, so you're not contracted to say two days per week or anything? :frown: Since you're only contracted for 4 hours, did you usually get more than that (aside from the 3 weeks they didnt rota you on)? Or did you have another part time job at the same time?

Woah :frown: Were you able to solve the pay and tax issues in the end? Did you ever get to be a waiter? (To me, it seems pointless working there if you aren't going to be able to wait tables and get tips)

Seems like the warning bells are sounding. I don't know if the pizza hut I'd be applying to would be any different. :\ Maybe I should stick to good old Toys r' Us. See if they'll take me. :L It's the prospect of earning tips to earn above national minimum wage or even £6+ an hour which appeals to me though. I don't think a lot of retail stores pay above minimum wage, do they?

Well everyone will have a different contract. My point is they didn't even give me the 4 hours I was contracted for after a while, and I essentially was out of work. What they did is illegal, but I was only 17 and I didn't pursue anything because I didn't really want to make a fuss.
I left and got myself another part-time job (this was during 6th form), where I worked 9 hours Fri, 9 Sat and 6 Sunday every week. Much better.
Reply 9
I'm thinking about applying. Wondering what the pay is like for a Team Member these days? Also are servers paid a wage which meets national minimum wage + tips or is it met using tips?

As a current employee, I'm fairly well placed to answer this. Pizza Hut pays front-of-house team members the NMW - so at 17, I'm on £3.68 an hour. As for tips, if you can earn them, you can keep them, and as we can only take cash tips as opposed to tips on credit card, you take them home at the end of your working day.

How much you make in tips depends on a large variety of factors, but as I live in Manchester and you appear to be in Fife, I won't suggest how much you should expect. I've made anywhere between £10 and £50 per shift, but obviously some days are better than others. Tips generally aren't shared unless team members choose to, for example if the table belongs to one server but another did a lot of the work, the server to whom the table belonged may choose to share the tip.

In answer to the question about contracts, you are contracted to a certain number of hours a week. However, it can change depending on business needs. There is a clause in the contract that I suspect an above poster may have missed where it says that the company can increase or decrease your working hours depending on business needs. To go three weeks without a shift is rare though.

You apply to work either front or back of house, so you'll only be on tables if you apply FOH. BOH are paid (I think) slightly better, but the downside is that you don't make tips.

Hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by Felineyx
As a current employee, I'm fairly well placed to answer this. Pizza Hut pays front-of-house team members the NMW - so at 17, I'm on £3.68 an hour. As for tips, if you can earn them, you can keep them, and as we can only take cash tips as opposed to tips on credit card, you take them home at the end of your working day.

How much you make in tips depends on a large variety of factors, but as I live in Manchester and you appear to be in Fife, I won't suggest how much you should expect. I've made anywhere between £10 and £50 per shift, but obviously some days are better than others. Tips generally aren't shared unless team members choose to, for example if the table belongs to one server but another did a lot of the work, the server to whom the table belonged may choose to share the tip.

In answer to the question about contracts, you are contracted to a certain number of hours a week. However, it can change depending on business needs. There is a clause in the contract that I suspect an above poster may have missed where it says that the company can increase or decrease your working hours depending on business needs. To go three weeks without a shift is rare though.

You apply to work either front or back of house, so you'll only be on tables if you apply FOH. BOH are paid (I think) slightly better, but the downside is that you don't make tips.

Just to let you know, my contract didn't have a clause that said they could give me no work at all for a month and a half. This WAS illegal, and the way they treated me was very bad too. I just wanted to share the experience, I know I'm not the only one to have had similar problems.
Reply 11
Just to let you know, my contract didn't have a clause that said they could give me no work at all for a month and a half. This WAS illegal, and the way they treated me was very bad too. I just wanted to share the experience, I know I'm not the only one to have had similar problems.

Did you actually read through the contract? Many people are lead to believe they are "contracted" 4 hours per week yet they are as such on a 0 hour contract, as the previous poster suggested
Reply 12

Fair enough. I can only judge by what my contract says now. I guess a lot of major companies can polarise opinion like this - I work in a good store with a good management team who actually care, but a lot of people have the polar opposite.
Fair enough. I can only judge by what my contract says now. I guess a lot of major companies can polarise opinion like this - I work in a good store with a good management team who actually care, but a lot of people have the polar opposite.

Yeah it could well have just been that store (and I guess the one my college worked at). With big companies there's always that risk. I just wanted to share the experience; but I also acknowledge things could well have changed in 5 years.
I get minimum wage -.-
Reply 15

Hmm, the application only comes up with "Team Member", should I write in the cover letter whether I'm applying to FOH or BOH, or does it come up at a later stage of the online application process, or otherwise, do you discuss it in an interview?

Also, out of interest, do you normally get more tips on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday by any chance? Whenever I'm in the pizza hut I'd be applying to it's packed. They closed down the other one in the city which wasn't usually so busy.

On another note, does anyone have any insight on the Hut Host and Buffet Host positions in terms of work, tips, practicality etc.? It allows me to apply for it at the same time, but I don't know whether it would be worth it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
I hated working as a team member, thing is if you are put as a host or back of house etc you wont get tips. At 16 I was on £3.64 an hour with no tips but if there are jobs going apply and see if you do like it? :smile:
Reply 17
Hmm, the application only comes up with "Team Member", should I write in the cover letter whether I'm applying to FOH or BOH, or does it come up at a later stage of the online application process, or otherwise, do you discuss it in an interview?

Also, out of interest, do you normally get more tips on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday by any chance? Whenever I'm in the pizza hut I'd be applying to it's packed. They closed down the other one in the city which wasn't usually so busy.

On another note, does anyone have any insight on the Hut Host and Buffet Host positions in terms of work, tips, practicality etc.? It allows me to apply for it at the same time, but I don't know whether it would be worth it.

Absolutely no idea about that - sorry.

The tips...it really does depend. A lot of people find they earn a lot of tips during buffet hours (11-3, Mon-Fri) so it depends on the pattern of customers in your hut. I earn most of my tips on a Saturday, as in Manchester it's kiddie-central and many families tip well. Sundays...my hut is very quiet, so I make little, but when it's been busy in the past it's been alright.

As for the two positions you asked about...

Hut Host
Standard door greeter. Duties are largely greeting and seating people, informing a queue to wait times and communicating your needs to the management. You also need to manage any bookings that have been made. The only tips you'll make are if servers are feeling particularly benevolent.

Buffet Host
Your hours will be 11-3, Mon-Fri. Your job is to keep the buffet full of pizza and pasta and the salad bar full. You'll communicate with the kitchen as and when necessary, and talk to customers at the buffet bar. Again, no tips.

EDIT - having looked through the applications stuff, I can only assume it would come up at interview, as it doesn't appear to crop up anywhere in the online process.
(edited 11 years ago)
Question is did you get the job? or did you even apply for the job?
The law is that minimum wage is hourly pay and can't be topped up by tips there are however 3 different minimum wages depending on your age and these normally increase every year with the budget Don't know about the others but for 21+ the minimum wage is £6.50 ph but this is going up to 6.70 from October

Quick Reply

Latest