The Student Room Group

Need help regarding career choice.

Hi,

Here is my current situation. I have applied for uni, been accepted unconditionally, and accepted it firmly. I am in doubts whatsoever what i want to do in the future and want to carry on with uni and education.

I have got a job for the summer, full time temporary. And enjoying it.

Uni in September, a foundation degree in Computing, Networking and Software Development. Is this a good course to be on? How do i know i have made the correct decision? I have always enjoyed working on computers, i may be a bit like Gordon Ramseys 'f word' though, but not a bad thing.

I want to know basically what career options i have after the course. I never pre-planned these things previously, but this time i want to take my future a tad more seriously. Here are my options as far as i know.

1. Gap year. I don't understand how these work to be honest.

2. Bachelors degree in Computing - 4 years. Worth it? What value would this be and would it help me get a better paid job in the long term?

3. Employment - what pay packet would i expect from doing the foundation degree.

4. Other? - What else could i do? I cannot think of anything else.
Reply 1
Original post by Robertall

------

Have you posted your CV in the help forum?
If not, I'd advise you to do that and ask the person who helps you for what steps you need to take, and they may also be able to give you some suggestions on what to do after you graduate.
Explain your situation to the CV helper, and then go from there
Reply 2
Writing a CV won't help me. I already have a good CV, which has been checked out by 2 different people. It got me a job.

And also i have a job, and have the next 2 years sorted. I was curious to know what my options would be in 2 years time.
Reply 3
Writing a CV won't help me. I already have a good CV, which has been checked out by 2 different people. It got me a job.

And also i have a job, and have the next 2 years sorted. I was curious to know what my options would be in 2 years time.

Yes, but just follow my suggestions.
They will be able to advise you better than a lot of the members of this forum.
The CV helpers will give you a sensible answer.
Reply 4
Original post by Choo.choo
Yes, but just follow my suggestions.
They will be able to advise you better than a lot of the members of this forum.
The CV helpers will give you a sensible answer.

While the CV forum is undoubtedly very useful, I don't quite know how CV help is anything to do with this thread? If we're going to post every question in the CV help forum regardless of any relevance to a CV then we might as well just remove the other careers forums...

OP, I may be wrong but I'm not sure there is a huge amount of value in doing a foundation degree unless it leads on to a bachelors. You won't be able to apply for graduate positions without doing a bachelors.

In answer to your four questions;

1. Gap year. I don't understand how these work to be honest.

It's kind of what it says on the tin. You take a year out. Usually this applies between school and university, or between university and employment. Can be useful experience depending on what you do, but I think it's fair to say the reason most people do it is for fun. There is no prescribed 'activity' for a gap year, but similarly you don't want an unexplained year on your CV where you sat at home.

2. Bachelors degree in Computing - 4 years. Worth it? What value would this be and would it help me get a better paid job in the long term?

Depends. If you're good at it and achieve a 2.1 then you can look to join top tech companies like IBM and Microsoft as a graduate. I think they both have school leavers schemes as well though, so if your A-levels are strong it might be worth considering that as well.

Personally this would be the option I would choose, but it's a very personal choice really.

3. Employment - what pay packet would i expect from doing the foundation degree.

Probably won't be much better then beforehand, but perhaps I'm wrong. It will make you more employable I guess as you will have the basic knowledge.

Nobody on here can really tell you what pay to expect, because no academic achievement is going to automatically entitle you to a job at any level, let alone a good one. There's far more to it then just getting the degree / foundation degree.

4. Other? - What else could i do? I cannot think of anything else.

-You could stay where you are in the job you enjoy (perhaps something permanent will become available).

-You could pursue school leaver schemes (if your A-levels are decent).

On the whole my vote would be for option 2 (bachelors), but I guess that's a decision you can make after completely the foundation degree. Not a huge amount of sense in doing it if you aren't going to achieve a half decent grade.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5

-----

Just weigh up the advantages and disadvantages.
Ask family and friends.
Speak to a careers adviser; although sometimes, they don't give very much useful information.
Choose the option which won't leave you in a stick situation after you graduate.
For option 4, there are plenty of things you can do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
My A-levels were not very good, it was touch and go whether i would be offered a place. I did get offered it, and i must stick to it and do the 2 years.

How do you get a gap year? I do not understand how to 'apply' for one.

Thanks for your advice everybody, i fully intend to move to London after the 2 year course.
Reply 7
My A-levels were not very good, it was touch and go whether i would be offered a place. I did get offered it, and i must stick to it and do the 2 years.

How do you get a gap year? I do not understand how to 'apply' for one.

Thanks for your advice everybody, i fully intend to move to London after the 2 year course.

So you're definitely going to university?
The university should be able to advise you if you wish to take a gap year.
Ask your adviser of studies or any relevant member of staff. Someone will be able to advise you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending