The Student Room Group

Single or Joint Honours?!!!

I am in the process of deciding which course I would like to study at university. I have just finished my as levels (english literature, history, biology and economics) and am struggling to decide what to study...
Current options consist of..

1) English Literature
2) History
3) English and History Joint Honours
4) Law

Is there any disadvantages from studying a joint honours course?
If studying single honours, which is better english or history?
Would it be a posssible path to decide one of the first three choices in my list followed by a law conversion course?

Scroll to see replies

A lot of people will say that studying Joint Honours will mean that you don't go in as much depth of the subject, as you won't do the same amount of modules of someone who does just English or History - I can only see this a major problem if you wanted to to work in academia. Although it can be argued that you do learn more skills, such as in History you do a lot of source work, which you wouldn't necessarily do in English. Most of the time employers just want a degree 2:1 above, so it doesn't matter if it's joint or not. If you want to go for both History and English then go for it! :biggrin:

English and History are pretty much similar in terms of reputation, so go for which you prefer personally if you do want to do a single honours. I think you can do a law conversion after, but I really don't know anything in detail about one.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by blondie :)
A lot of people will say that studying Joint Honours will mean that you don't go in as much depth of the subject, as you won't do the same amount of modules of someone who does just English or History - I can only see this a major problem if you wanted to to work in academia. Although it can be argued that you do learn more skills, such as in History you do a lot of source work, which you wouldn't necessarily do in English. Most of the time employers just want a degree 2:1 above, so it doesn't matter if it's joint or not. If you want to go for both History and English then go for it! :biggrin:

English and History are pretty much similar in terms of reputation, so go for which you prefer personally if you do want to do a single honours. I think you can do a law conversion after, but I really don't know anything in detail about one.

Thanks for your reply, really helpful!!!
Just really nervous about deciding what to do, joint honours has always been an option as I cannot choose between history and english literature so it seems like a good alternative. Just worried about the practicalities of doing two subjects at once instead of focusing in on one subject. The fact that you don't go into as much detail does not worry me greatly as when I attended an open day at Birmingham and they explained the modules, it seems as though you still do all the core modules but instead of taking 2 modules of your choice, you would only do one then that would also apply for your other subject too.
Have been researching the law conversion pathway and it looks like you do a one year course at post-grad level which would be best if I decided to go into law but it sounds like a really difficult course of basically cramming 3 years worth of law into one :/
Reply 3
Regarding the law conversion, any degree is acceptable to get onto the course. It's quite common for history and english students to go onto the GDL. It's only cramming in 2 years worth of law (the 7 core modules, as opposed to 7 core and 5 optionals). I don't think many people actually struggle with the GDL since you would have already been through a degree, so just think of it as a masters. If you really enjoy both english and history, but want to go into law, then just do the joint degree as it won't really matter which one you choose.
Original post by H_McNamara
Thanks for your reply, really helpful!!!
Just really nervous about deciding what to do, joint honours has always been an option as I cannot choose between history and english literature so it seems like a good alternative. Just worried about the practicalities of doing two subjects at once instead of focusing in on one subject. The fact that you don't go into as much detail does not worry me greatly as when I attended an open day at Birmingham and they explained the modules, it seems as though you still do all the core modules but instead of taking 2 modules of your choice, you would only do one then that would also apply for your other subject too.
Have been researching the law conversion pathway and it looks like you do a one year course at post-grad level which would be best if I decided to go into law but it sounds like a really difficult course of basically cramming 3 years worth of law into one :/

If you cannot decide then I would definitely suggest doing it! :biggrin: I'm going to do a joint honours and I'm glad I am, as both of the courses sound really interesting! Don't worry about taking two subjects at once, and you'll find out that loads of people do joint honours courses anyway - I know Birmingham do many joint honours that you can choose from - and many manage their time. Also English and History are similar in terms of essay writing/reading, you'll probably be doing the same amount of work as someone who is just doing English as you're taking less modules in it.
I would suggest do a degree you love and want to do, as you may decide that you might not want to do Law in the end. I'm sure you'll be able to manage if after completing a degree! I guess it's just like a Masters :tongue:. Although yeah, I don't know what actually you do during a conversion course etc.

By the way, if you're thinking of having Birmingham as a choice - I'm from Birmingham so feel free to ask stuff about nightlife/the city etc. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
If you cannot decide then I would definitely suggest doing it! :biggrin: I'm going to do a joint honours and I'm glad I am, as both of the courses sound really interesting! Don't worry about taking two subjects at once, and you'll find out that loads of people do joint honours courses anyway - I know Birmingham do many joint honours that you can choose from - and many manage their time. Also English and History are similar in terms of essay writing/reading, you'll probably be doing the same amount of work as someone who is just doing English as you're taking less modules in it.
I would suggest do a degree you love and want to do, as you may decide that you might not want to do Law in the end. I'm sure you'll be able to manage if after completing a degree! I guess it's just like a Masters :tongue:. Although yeah, I don't know what actually you do during a conversion course etc.

By the way, if you're thinking of having Birmingham as a choice - I'm from Birmingham so feel free to ask stuff about nightlife/the city etc. :tongue:

What are you going to do as joint honours? are you doing it this september?
I don't know much about the conversion course to be honest but I guess I'd have three more years to decide if law was right for me whilst still continuing my interests!
Oh really, Birmingham is a definite consideration! What is your honest opinion on the city?
Decent gigs?
Decent clubs?:tongue:
What are you going to do as joint honours? are you doing it this september?
I don't know much about the conversion course to be honest but I guess I'd have three more years to decide if law was right for me whilst still continuing my interests!
Oh really, Birmingham is a definite consideration! What is your honest opinion on the city?
Decent gigs?
Decent clubs?:tongue:

Sociology and Social Policy at Sheffield, I was originally going to do Sociology and Politics but the course looked better so I emailed them to change it and they did it really quickly! :redface: I hopefully will be, results in 8 days I'm bricking it!

Ignore everyone saying it's a boring city its a ****hole and everything (I've seen it a lot on here for example) while it doesn't look THAT great at the moment, they are doing all regeneration and will be done by next year. :tongue:
But I've grown to love it! There's loads of gig venues, and the clubs are really cheap if you go to the right places (mainly student nights and there's a lot of them! :tongue:). When I'm on a night out I barely meet anyone local, it's all uni students! Birmingham generally gets overlooked by 'better' cities like Manchester but I think it's a great place to live! :colondollar:
Reply 7
Sociology and Social Policy at Sheffield, I was originally going to do Sociology and Politics but the course looked better so I emailed them to change it and they did it really quickly! :redface: I hopefully will be, results in 8 days I'm bricking it!

Ignore everyone saying it's a boring city its a ****hole and everything (I've seen it a lot on here for example) while it doesn't look THAT great at the moment, they are doing all regeneration and will be done by next year. :tongue:
But I've grown to love it! There's loads of gig venues, and the clubs are really cheap if you go to the right places (mainly student nights and there's a lot of them! :tongue:). When I'm on a night out I barely meet anyone local, it's all uni students! Birmingham generally gets overlooked by 'better' cities like Manchester but I think it's a great place to live! :colondollar:

Yeah I get my AS Results in 8 days so basing my university choices on them :/ Good luck though! ooo I looked round sheffield and it seems really nice! What are your offers?

I do go to Birmingham a lot for shopping/gigs... bit of a concert lover :') I love from a fairly 'outsider' opinion and think big cities are a bit overrated tbh, born and raised in london at first so done the massive city life :tongue:
if results go my way, think birmingham will be choice number one!!!
The problems with joint honours are organisational ones - which can be enough to disrupt things and make it difficult to do well overall.

If it's what you want to do then go for it - but when researching where to apply ask some extra questions of the unis you're interested in:

* How many people do english & history every year (if you're the only 1 then it'll be less well organised)
* How many optional modules do I get on this course - and what sort of options are they?
* Are there any timetabling problems with combining these courses?
* Would I have an academic tutor for both subjects in case I need extra support?

None of these are deal breakers but they're the sort of things that might help make a choice - a poorly organised course at a brilliantly ranked university will leave you exhausted from fighting the system with no time left for fun or study!

Good luck:biggrin:
Reply 9
Joint Honours FTW! :tongue:

<3 x
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
The problems with joint honours are organisational ones - which can be enough to disrupt things and make it difficult to do well overall.

If it's what you want to do then go for it - but when researching where to apply ask some extra questions of the unis you're interested in:

* How many people do english & history every year (if you're the only 1 then it'll be less well organised)
* How many optional modules do I get on this course - and what sort of options are they?
* Are there any timetabling problems with combining these courses?
* Would I have an academic tutor for both subjects in case I need extra support?

None of these are deal breakers but they're the sort of things that might help make a choice - a poorly organised course at a brilliantly ranked university will leave you exhausted from fighting the system with no time left for fun or study!

Good luck:biggrin:

Thank you ever so much! Those are really really great questions to ask and will be really helpful.. do you think I could ask these on open days and/or email etc.. to universities?
Reply 11
Original post by LETSJaM
Joint Honours FTW! :tongue:

<3 x

Do you study a joint honours degree?
Thank you ever so much! Those are really really great questions to ask and will be really helpful.. do you think I could ask these on open days and/or email etc.. to universities?

either/or - although if you ask at open Q&A/talks at open days then people hoping to do the same course will get to hear the answers too (and might ask the questions at another open day and so spread the knowledge and good karma :biggrin:)
Reply 13
Do you study a joint honours degree?

I'm applying for one! :tongue:

<3 x
Reply 14
Original post by LETSJaM
I'm applying for one! :tongue:

<3 x

are you in year 12 or 13? which one?
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
either/or - although if you ask at open Q&A/talks at open days then people hoping to do the same course will get to hear the answers too (and might ask the questions at another open day and so spread the knowledge and good karma :biggrin:)

thank you, that's so helpful!! :biggrin:
I am in the process of deciding which course I would like to study at university. I have just finished my as levels (english literature, history, biology and economics) and am struggling to decide what to study...
Current options consist of..

1) English Literature
2) History
3) English and History Joint Honours
4) Law

Is there any disadvantages from studying a joint honours course?
If studying single honours, which is better english or history?
Would it be a posssible path to decide one of the first three choices in my list followed by a law conversion course?

The good thing about studying joint honours is you can develop skills in two completely separate areas if you choose contrasting subjects e.g. a humanities with an arts or science subject. However, due to degrees consisting of a certain number of credits (360 in total, 120 for each year) there are a limited number of modules you can study for either subject so you might not go into as much depth in one area as you would with a single honours course.

Depending on the course structure, you may study both subjects equally or a major/minor route where you do one subject more than the other. This is reflected in your degree title, for example:

Equal study: BA (Hons) History and English Literature
Major/minor: BA (Hons) History with English Literature

Usually you will get plenty of choice for the non-core modules so the flexibility is there, allowing you to play to your strengths and interests.

As for the law conversion course afterwards, any of the options you have listed above (single or joint honours) are acceptable as long as you get the right degree class; any degree is suitable for entry.
Reply 17
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
The good thing about studying joint honours is you can develop skills in two completely separate areas if you choose contrasting subjects e.g. a humanities with an arts or science subject. However, due to degrees consisting of a certain number of credits (360 in total, 120 for each year) there are a limited number of modules you can study for either subject so you might not go into as much depth in one area as you would with a single honours course.

Depending on the course structure, you may study both subjects equally or a major/minor route where you do one subject more than the other. This is reflected in your degree title, for example:

Equal study: BA (Hons) History and English Literature
Major/minor: BA (Hons) History with English Literature

Usually you will get plenty of choice for the non-core modules so the flexibility is there, allowing you to play to your strengths and interests.

As for the law conversion course afterwards, any of the options you have listed above (single or joint honours) are acceptable as long as you get the right degree class; any degree is suitable for entry.

Thank you very much for the advice, very helpful!
The degrees I were looking at were equal study and after researching today I think that a joint honours degree would definitely be the right decisions.
Do you know what the conversion course would consist of and what degree class is necessary?
Thank you very much for the advice, very helpful!
The degrees I were looking at were equal study and after researching today I think that a joint honours degree would definitely be the right decisions.
Do you know what the conversion course would consist of and what degree class is necessary?

The conversion course is 1 year full-time and consists of the core modules required in order to complete the first stage of legal training. I've heard it's very intensive as you're essentially learning all the compulsory info from a 3 year law degree condensed into 1 year, but it will allow you to progress onto the LPC or BPTC depending on if you'd like to be a solicitor or barrister.

Usually you will need a 2.1 or above to be accepted, I haven't seen any courses requiring a 1st yet.
Reply 19
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
The conversion course is 1 year full-time and consists of the core modules required in order to complete the first stage of legal training. I've heard it's very intensive as you're essentially learning all the compulsory info from a 3 year law degree condensed into 1 year, but it will allow you to progress onto the LPC or BPTC depending on if you'd like to be a solicitor or barrister.

Usually you will need a 2.1 or above to be accepted, I haven't seen any courses requiring a 1st yet.

Thank you so much for the information it's really valuable!
So is it essentially the 3 year law degree minus all the optional modules?
The LPC and BPTC are the next steps that you do whilst at work?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest