The Student Room Group

The Classic Rock Society Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
yea why not, guess I'll join :smile:
same here I just hope chinese democracy is released sometime soon, shame it will never live up to the hype
what do you guys think of the Velvet revolver thing? who could be weiland's replacement? these guys have loads of potential (they are basically GNR without rose) but they haven't really come up with anything mindblowing
Reply 41
Its a shame GnR is Axl Rose :biggrin:. Chinese Democracy is rumoured to be a four disk album and the songs shown so far are awesome, theres like six on youtube, I dont think theres a hype for it at all because most people believe it will never be released so I think anything will be better than nothing.
I like Velvet Revolver but just liked, they only had a few good songs in my opinion and they weren't a scratch on GnR, maybe GnR should just get back together, thats a better idea :wink:.
Reply 42
Some of velvets songs have been decent - take slither, fall to pieces or last fight for example.
Slash does seem to hold the whole band together though :s-smilie:
Reply 43
I really enjoyed VR, Fall To Pieces and Slither were quality tunes.
Reply 44
I just didn't really like the lead singer, the line-up was practically Guns N Roses without Axl Rose who for a band like that non-replacable.
Then again I dont enjoy watching anyone as much as I do Mick Jagger, will he ever stop? I hope not :biggrin:.
How many members we got now? :wink:
Reply 45
aha i know how does micky keep it up?
jeez...

Oh and we have 6 members i think :biggrin:

Edit: Make that 8.

uth =]
Reply 46
Im a little amazed actually at how well ACDC did from songs with the same formula:

Angus' simple power chords & riffs + Growly repetative vocals = successful rock band

How did they do it? Im not saying i dont like them but nobody doubts that ACDC's songs arent exactly the most musically complex or exciting. :biggrin:

uth =]
Reply 47
Back In Black: Second best selling album of all time :O.

Really they are a hard rock and roll band, I mean looking back go Chuck Berry a lot of his work comes from the same forumla but its always amazing, I do think they are one of the best bands of all time, not at Led Zeppelins level thou but still downright amazing. I think the thing about them is they just keep it the same because its what the fans love and what better way to please your fans than give them what they want?:biggrin:

I prefer Queen over them thou, just because I do like variety and queen essentially did everything :wink:.

For Those About To Rock We Salute You!!!
Devel
Another revision late nighter broken up by classic rock discussion :biggrin:.

If Bon Jovi is classic rock then they are my favourite classic rock band because they are my favourite band :biggrin:, I think the range of music that they've done is amazing and they are one of the best live bands ever.

Queen were really the first classic rock band I liked, I liked them when I was young but lost intrest then started listening to music in general again at like 14 and they came up, so they were the triggers into my classic rock love :biggrin:.

Bon Jovi is the one for me thou:wink: (I like every single on of their solo works to, Richie Sambora's two solo albums are my favourite of all time, you must check them out on youtube!)

Mama just killed a man, put a gun against his head........

I'm still waiting for a new Guns N' Roses to take over the charts and knock all this crappy indie and emo music off, I mean its all exactly the same now. Although Chinese Democracy maybe released this year by Guns N Roses (After almost two decades in production) and some of the leaked tracks are amazing.

Hear hear I agree with that
Reply 49
yehh :biggrin:

Vexed about led zepo's one off tour thinggy. I'd have liked to see em but dang tickets sold fast!

uth
Reply 50
Led Zep will tour I'm sure; loads of sources of hinted at it, its just that Plant is tied up with his tour with Alison Krauss atmo. Was anyone at the O2 for the Zep gig?

BTW awesome society, I hope it stays alive...
Reply 51
One of my teachers was there when they first played Stairway To Heaven live, I was so jealous :biggrin:.

Whats everyones favourite albums then? Mine will have to be:
Undiscovered Soul - Richie Sambora
Stranger In This Town - Richie Sambora
Joshua Tree - U2
Lost Highway - Bon Jovi
Keep The Faith - Bon Jovi
Get A Grip - Aerosmith
A Kind of Magic - Queen
Appetite for Destruction - Guns N Roses
All That You Can't Leave Behind - U2
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - U2
(What's the Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis

No particular order but the Sambora albums are my main favourites :biggrin:.
Reply 52
Physical Graffiti - Zep
Song Remains the Same Soundtrack - Zep
Black and Blue - Stones
Axis: Bold as Love - Hendrix
Hunky Dory - Bowie
Joshua Tree - U2

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 53
Devel
One of my teachers was there when they first played Stairway To Heaven live, I was so jealous :biggrin:.

Whats everyones favourite albums then? Mine will have to be:
Undiscovered Soul - Richie Sambora
Stranger In This Town - Richie Sambora
Joshua Tree - U2
Lost Highway - Bon Jovi
Keep The Faith - Bon Jovi
Get A Grip - Aerosmith
A Kind of Magic - Queen
Appetite for Destruction - Guns N Roses
All That You Can't Leave Behind - U2
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - U2
(What's the Story) Morning Glory? - Oasis

No particular order but the Sambora albums are my main favourites :biggrin:.

Classic rock...?
Reply 54
afc1886

BTW awesome society, I hope it stays alive...

hey thanks dude i hope it does too :biggrin:
Reply 55
Girl.Scout
Classic rock...?

I cant just tie myself to one genre :wink:.

I'd stick Led Zeppelin 4 on there aswell.

The Sambora albums are just amazing, its a mixture of rock,blues and ballads but the blend is just perfect. Aerosmith,Queen and GnR speak for themselves, Bon Jovi is more melodic rock especcialy on those albums but they have the same style as a classic rock band even if there mordern. U2 are just brilliant and that Oasis album is stunning, especcialy when they perform the tracks now as they are much more rock than ever before :biggrin:.
Reply 56
My fave classic sock albums are (top 5 i'd say)
A Day At The Races - Queen
Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits
Back In Black - ACDC
Stairway to Heaven - Zepo
Acoustica - Scorpions
does aging rocker Bruce Springsteen deserve a mention?
i think so!
Reply 58
It's nice to see that people are still expecting Chinese Democracy... :p:
Reply 59
I've just gotta shout somewhere about this, im having a queen moment.
Tie Your Mother Down - Queen
If you don't know it, you should!
totally rocks. :biggrin:

uth =]

Quick Reply

Latest