The Student Room Group

Situation ethics- examples please?

Hey m doing aqa Ethics and Religion. I need some examples to use in my essay about situation ethics, im really struggling to find one!:frown:
Could someone give me one and explain how a situationist would approach it
Thanks!
Reply 1
Here is my dilemma: I love chocolate but fat people keep taking it; therefore, my approach would be to kill the fat people who try to take my chocolate and put their heads on a stick to ward off other fat people. It's the most loving thing to do because I love my chocolate and I hate fat people. Situation ethics is subjective, can be used to justify anything and is just stupid.
Reply 2
TerryTerry
Here is my dilemma: I love chocolate but fat people keep taking it; therefore, my approach would be to kill the fat people who try to take my chocolate and put their heads on a stick to ward off other fat people. It's the most loving thing to do because I love my chocolate and I hate fat people. Situation ethics is subjective, can be used to justify anything and is just stupid.

great thanks for the help
TerryTerry

It's better than Natural Law, where you can't attempt to cure cancer just in case you kill a cell or two.
Reply 4
I liked doing situation ethics, I remember that the examples that Fletcher used were extreme which William Barcley's? I think that was his name at least, used as an argument against him!

Some were like that woman who took her baby with her and a tribe of seven men, they were searching a new land but if they were caught by the natives they would be killed, and when the baby started to cry.....should she kill the baby and possibly save her tribe? Leave her tribe and die with her baby? Continue to walk with her tribe and not kill the baby?

And that MRS. Bergimer? or something, her name is spelt wrong just to let you know xD, she got herself impregnated by a German or Russian prison warden as if you were pregnant you could get out of prison, she did this to go home and be with her children and husband. This was adultery but was it right? Was it loving to have a child for freedom? Was it right to betray her wedding vows? etc...there are loads of them xD but I've not been revising it so...my examples may be a little incorrect, name wise etc so just google them I'm sure.

Try Joseph Fletcher's Situation Ethics Examples or Fletcher's Extreme Examples or something

Good Luck
Reply 5
This is a good example but i learnt that they were hiding from Nazis.
Reply 6
Original post by Tori-Ilana
I liked doing situation ethics, I remember that the examples that Fletcher used were extreme which William Barcley's? I think that was his name at least, used as an argument against him!

Some were like that woman who took her baby with her and a tribe of seven men, they were searching a new land but if they were caught by the natives they would be killed, and when the baby started to cry.....should she kill the baby and possibly save her tribe? Leave her tribe and die with her baby? Continue to walk with her tribe and not kill the baby?

And that MRS. Bergimer? or something, her name is spelt wrong just to let you know xD, she got herself impregnated by a German or Russian prison warden as if you were pregnant you could get out of prison, she did this to go home and be with her children and husband. This was adultery but was it right? Was it loving to have a child for freedom? Was it right to betray her wedding vows? etc...there are loads of them xD but I've not been revising it so...my examples may be a little incorrect, name wise etc so just google them I'm sure.

Try Joseph Fletcher's Situation Ethics Examples or Fletcher's Extreme Examples or something

Good Luck

This is a good example but i learnt that they were hiding from the Nazis

Quick Reply