The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Recipe Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
ooo likes idea of this threa :smile:
Caramel Shortcakes......mmmmmmmmm

Ok now heres what i believe is the best caramel shortcake recipe i have ever used

THE BASE
--------
You Need:
4 oz margarine or butter* 2 oz caster sugar* 6 oz self-raising flour

THE FILLING
-----------
You Need:
1/2 a large tin or 1 small tine of Nestle's Condensed Milk* 4 oz margarine or butter* 4 oz caster sugar* 2 tablespoons golden syrup

TOPPING
-------
You Need: 6 oz plain chocolate

*INSTRUCTIONS*
--------------
Heat the oven to 350oF/180oC Gas Mark 4. Grease a 7" x11" swiss roll tin. To make the base, cream the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Sieve the flour and fold into the creamed mixture. Press the mixture evenly over the base of the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
To make the filling, place all the ingrediants in a saucepan, heat gently until the sugar is dissolved then boil for 5-10 minutes stirring continuously. Spread quickly over the cooked base and allow to cool!
To make the topping, place the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water and allow to melt over a low heat. When melted, quickly pour it over the caramel filling and if you want your dessert to loook a bit on the fancy side, swirl ontop of the chocolate with a fork to make a design. Mark into portions before the chocolate sets firm and make sure you keep in fridge for up to 1 hour before serving.
Reply 82
Nice Chicken-ey thing

Serves: 2

Sear 2 chicken breast fillets for one minute in a pan. Take them off the heat and place on a plate.

Chop up an onion and some mushrooms and fry them for about 3 minutes in the pan. Add some chopped garlic.

Pour in some white wine.

Place the chicken breast fillets in the wine and cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer. Add salt, pepper and some oregano.

After about 5 minutes place two big dollops of creme fraiche in the sauce and stir it in.

After about another 5 minutes, check to see that the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.

Serve with saute potatoes and vegetables.

It's delish!!!
Flapjacks

ingreadients

100g butter
75g golden syrup
225g rolled oats
75g soft brown sugar

To Make
put butter syrup and sugar into pan and melt,
once melted remove from heat and add the oats (mix it really well) if need be add in a bit more syrup depending on how you like your flapjacks,
spread intoa large tin and smooth the top,
bake at 180(oc) or gas 4 for 20-30 mins,
leave for 5 mins then cut and eat (best when warm)

Variations
try adding chocolate chips, sultanas, dried papaya, or small bits of caramel/toffee
Reply 84
hey does anyone konw any good recepies to do with rhubarb? ive just discovered we have a rhubarb plant in our garden n wouldnt want to let all that nice rhubarb go to waste! (p.s. i dont think ive ever tried rhubarb before...ever (xcept in crumble))
Reply 85
hellooooo
hey does anyone konw any good recepies to do with rhubarb? ive just discovered we have a rhubarb plant in our garden n wouldnt want to let all that nice rhubarb go to waste! (p.s. i dont think ive ever tried rhubarb before...ever (xcept in crumble))

you can cook it and drizzle custard on top :smile:
Reply 86
hellooooo

Rhubarb crumble........

simmer some rhubarb, water, sugar (lots), and a bit of ginger in a pan.

Blend together butter, flour and sugar for the crumble, place on top and bake.

It's delicious!

Also you could make rhubarb fool....though im not too sure how to make this
Reply 87
*bump* hehehe! anyone got any ideas what i can do with mince and mushrooms, apart from spag bol?!
kokopops
*bump* hehehe! anyone got any ideas what i can do with mince and mushrooms, apart from spag bol?!

You could try lasagne with mushrooms or teivotdale pie! (so good - it's like a mince stew with a dumpling topping mmmmmm!!!) :p:

Let me know if you want the recipe!

xxx
This is THE BEST thread!!

Ok i have a really really good one for vegetable soup..... :top:

I make this without a recipe - i made it up so the quantities may vary a bit sorry! :rolleyes: But for about 4-6 people:

You Need:

butter/oil
Big pot/pan
Hand Blender/blender/really good masher and mashing technique :p:
dried herbs (provenciale are good!)
water
2 vegetable oxo cubes
salt and pepper
2 med-large onions
5 potatoes
4 carrots
and some kind of green vegetables (brocoli, cabbage, leek) - whatever you want really! Just do about the same amount of vegetables for each person as they'd eat with a meal.

Ok take a large pan/casserole dish (with big sides) and peel and chop up the onions.

Sautee (fry lightly) the onions in the pan with quite a bit of butter/oil.

Peel and chop the other vegetables into little cubes and add them to the onions.

Wait for them to brown slightly and then add water - add just enough so that it's nearly covering all the vegetables.

Add the oxo cubes, salt and pepoer and about 2 tsps of the herbs and bring to the boil. Once boiling turn it down and leave to simmer for a while (if you have a lid for the pan put it on - it will take less time)

Check that the vegetables are cooked - they should be really soft (poke them with a knife or something)

Get a hand blender (these are probably best but you could tip the soup into a big blender or if you don't have one use a potato masher and mash very hard! (Tried and tested hehe) and just zzzz (blend) it a bit until it's the texture you want it to be (whatever your preferences are)

And voila - there you go! This soup is magical honest! I only hope i've given you the right recipe :rolleyes: lol

I actually love cooking and am glad to help so if anyone wants any recipes PM me or post or whatever and i'l find them for you! :smile:

xxx
crispyduck your name is making me hungry :biggrin: I started a similar thread, if anyone wants to look here http://thestudentroom.co.uk/t102849.html :smile:
Reply 91
bohogirlie
crispyduck your name is making me hungry :biggrin: I started a similar thread, if anyone wants to look here http://thestudentroom.co.uk/t102849.html :smile:

aww thanks for pointing that out!!
*bump* Due to the thread in about.

MB
What an awesome thread :smile: My housemates and I cooked up a mad Thai dish the other night, so if anyone is interested I could post it up on here :biggrin: :cool:

Also into deserts, when I'm at home on hols, love making cheesecakes :love:

*gets in touch with her inner sweet tooth* :p:
Reply 94
Cornish Pasties by Scubar

Ingredients
For the Pastry ( This is for Short-crust)

One and a half Cups Plain Flour
Lard or vegetable fat
Pinch of salt
Water
For the pasty filling

Chuck steak
Two Large potatoes
Half large turnip (swede)
One large onion
Salt and pepper to taste
Water

Cornish Pasty Recipe Method
The Pastry
Place flour and salt in a bowl, rub in the fat, until the mixture is so fine that it falls through the fingers. Tip mixture onto a lightly floured table top. With your index finger make a well in the centre of the mixture. Add water a little at a time until it forms a pliable but stiff dough.

The Cornish Pasty Filling
Finely chop the steak. Dice the potato, turnip (swede) and onion. You may prefer to slice them. Add seasoning. Mix all in a bowl or to be really authentic use your kitchen table top.

Using a floured table top roll out half the dough to a circle the size of a plate. Make a mound of the filling in the centre of the dough. Dampen round the edge of the dough with either water, or milk. Fold over the dough, to make a half moon shape, crimping the edges. Make a slit to let out steam. Brush with beaten egg to glaze.

Cooking your Cornish Pasty Place on lightly greased metal baking tray in the middle of a preheated oven, for around 40 minutes at 450 F . The pasty is cooked when their undersides turn brown and crisp.

and they are so nice its unbelievable
Reply 95
2 + 2 = 5's Deep-Fried Mars Bars

1. Start fryer.
2. Get Mars Bar (Unwrap FIRST; I can't stress this enough).
3. Put bar in fryer.
4. Take bar out (Do NOT use hands).
5. Eat. Yum.
wow all of these recipes sound really nice i'm going to try some! xx
danni_bella83
What an awesome thread :smile: My housemates and I cooked up a mad Thai dish the other night, so if anyone is interested I could post it up on here
OK someone was interested! :biggrin:

Anyway here is the dish we made the other night:

Chicken with Cashew nuts

Needs:
500 g (1 lb) chicken fillets
5 tb oil
100 g (3 1/2 oz) unsalted cashew nuts
3 spring onions
2 tomatoes
200 g (6 1/2) mushrooms
soy sauce
2 tb oil
2 tb fish sauce
2 tb oyster sauce
1 tb sugar

What to do:
1. Dice chicken and marinade with soy sauce and oil for ten minutes.
2. Heat oil in a wok or a pan, add cashew nuts and roast until golden. Take nuts out of the wok and drain on a paper tissue.
3. Wash spring onions and cut into 2 cm long pieces. Wash tomatoes and mushrooms and dice.
4. Heat oil in a wok or a pan, add chicken and stir-fry for two minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and cashew nuts and stir-fry.
6. Reduce heat and season with fish sauce, oyster sauce and sugar.

Takes about 30 minutes :biggrin: :smile:

DB_x
And even though I know this is a meal recipe thread (from what I know :eek: ), I thought it wouldn't hurt to add some info about healthy snacks I eat from time to time :p:

One of which is the creamed corn and cheese on toast thing, where you lightly toast some bread, then add cheese and creamed corn on top, put in griller on medium for 15 mins. Or around then, depending on your griller.

Other snack is the fruit and nuts one. Have recently discovered 'Fruit & Nut's' by Sunbeam and haven't looked back ever since. Perfect for 'in-btw-meal' snacks, when doing an assignment or something :cool

Filling, but not heavy. Just right :smile: Happy cooking/creating snacks! :biggrin:

DB_x
This is the quickest meal ever to make, I nicked it offa that bloke Gary Rhodes.

Grilled Cod and Sauté Leek

(or fish 'n' veg)

Ingredients:

Cod
leek
mayo, lemon juice & mustard

Zis is vat you do:

Mix up a little mayo (~1 tablespoon) with a little mustard (1 t/spoon again) and a tiny winy bit of lemon juice to make a dressing for the fish. Spread this over the cod fillet and stick under the grill until the dressing is bubbling hot and dark brown (not burnt of course) and the fish should've cooked by this time too. Wayhey.

Whilst the cod is cooking, slice up some leek and chuck it into a frying pan with a little hot water and some butter. Keep this over a hot flame for a few minutes (until the leek has softened). I guess they call this sautéd leek.

Can't possibly take any longer than about 10minutes and it tastes suprisingly good, although it looks a bit weird. All complaints to Mr. Rhodes please, not me. :biggrin:

I'm adding this because I'm just about to make it and I thought I'd share. :smile:

Quick Reply