The Student Room Group

Americans applying to university in the UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
kristinaalovesu
LACEY! i was wondering, what did you submit to the unis? I mean, did you submit you SAT I and II? or did you also do some AP classes? All in all, what are the things you submit to them?

AP scores are what they look for (usually 4/5s in relevant subjects). I think they look at SATs too but place less emphasis on them than your AP grades and GPA ?
Reply 61
kristinaalovesu
LACEY! i was wondering, what did you submit to the unis? I mean, did you submit you SAT I and II? or did you also do some AP classes? All in all, what are the things you submit to them?

let's see.... i submitted SAT I and II's (three of them, but 2 not particularly relevant to my subject of study haha) as well as my ACTs and my transcript, even though they didnt ask for that. i didnt take any APs junior year, and only took one senior year but in spanish so not really relevant to my subject of study haha.
that's all i think, qualifications wise.
lacey521
let's see.... i submitted SAT I and II's (three of them, but 2 not particularly relevant to my subject of study haha) as well as my ACTs and my transcript, even though they didnt ask for that. i didnt take any APs junior year, and only took one senior year but in spanish so not really relevant to my subject of study haha.
that's all i think, qualifications wise.

thats what im going to submit too. I didn't took any AP class at all. :s-smilie:
But thanks!! :smile:
I was wondering, i emailed the ROYAL HOLLOWAY last month about my situation, but i didn't get any email from them yet. why are they not answering my email? Do i have to email them again? Or is it because they are too busy with clearings and stuff?
Hey everyone, do i have to start doing my UCAS now? I mean, i don't have the scores for SAT I/II/ACT yet because i am going to take them on SEPT/OCT/NOV. so i dont know if i should start now or what.

And also, i have a hard time about PS! I don't know how to start it! Do i have to make a PS for every university or just ONE to all the universities?
Reply 65
kristinaalovesu
Hey everyone, do i have to start doing my UCAS now? I mean, i don't have the scores for SAT I/II/ACT yet because i am going to take them on SEPT/OCT/NOV. so i dont know if i should start now or what.

And also, i have a hard time about PS! I don't know how to start it! Do i have to make a PS for every university or just ONE to all the universities?

You make only one personal statement for all of the Universities together talking about why you want to study the subjects you are applying for.
Reply 66
kristinaalovesu

Just one :smile: The same one will get sent out to all universities (so make sure your personal statement reflects the course you are applying for at each university) - and don't mention any specific university in your personal statement :smile:. Post it in the private PS help section, they're really helpful I used it last year :bigsmile:
acbi3
You make only one personal statement for all of the Universities together talking about why you want to study the subjects you are applying for.

should i start doing the UCAS now or wait till i get the scores?
mel0n
Just one :smile: The same one will get sent out to all universities (so make sure your personal statement reflects the course you are applying for at each university) - and don't mention any specific university in your personal statement :smile:. Post it in the private PS help section, they're really helpful I used it last year :bigsmile:

Oh thank you MELON.
kristinaalovesu
I was wondering, i emailed the ROYAL HOLLOWAY last month about my situation, but i didn't get any email from them yet. why are they not answering my email? Do i have to email them again? Or is it because they are too busy with clearings and stuff?

They're still on vacation more than likley
Reply 70
kristinaalovesu
should i start doing the UCAS now or wait till i get the scores?

You can start the UCAS application now and work on other things, like filling out the personal information, the personal statement, and referee. Your application is saved for as long as you like so you can put your scores on your application whenever you receive them. You don't have to do it all at once. There are other parts of the UCAS application you can work on now while you wait for your scores.
acbi3
You can start the UCAS application now and work on other things, like filling out the personal information, the personal statement, and referee. Your application is saved for as long as you like so you can put your scores on your application whenever you receive them. You don't have to do it all at once. There are other parts of the UCAS application you can work on now while you wait for your scores.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 72
kristinaalovesu
:biggrin: No he wasn't in chile when it happened, his family live here and maybe sometime he mighr visit chile to see his granpa. :smile:
I know, did you feel the earthquake over there? He doesn't live in santiago though, his hometown is chillan. :biggrin:

this is absolutely off topic :sorry:
im from santiago and i was in pichilemu, which was one of the two epicentres... 5 blocks disappeared because of the tsunami :eek:

fortunately we were staying over a hill and nothing happened, but when we got down next morning we noticed huge cracks in the ground, cracked houses, cracked houses inside cracks on the ground, gorgeous places erased by the water and now full of sand.. so surreal i didnt fall into account of what had happened until we got to santiago after hours of trying to do so and noticing supermarkets were closed, there was no gasolin for a couple of days, some poorer and older neighbourhoods were in shambles.. ! and i went back to pichilemu and that area afterwards to help, in small towns people had lost their homes or were too afraid of going back because the earth kept (and still keeps) moving.

we are used to small "earthquakes" of 6 degrees richter or so and the world doesnt know about it because its quite normal, but this was insane.

http://twitpic.com/15rum9

still quite shocked :woo:
Ivana_jj
this is absolutely off topic :sorry:
im from santiago and i was in pichilemu, which was one of the two epicentres... 5 blocks disappeared because of the tsunami :eek:

fortunately we were staying over a hill and nothing happened, but when we got down next morning we noticed huge cracks in the ground, cracked houses, cracked houses inside cracks on the ground, gorgeous places erased by the water and now full of sand.. so surreal i didnt fall into account of what had happened until we got to santiago after hours of trying to do so and noticing supermarkets were closed, there was no gasolin for a couple of days, some poorer and older neighbourhoods were in shambles.. ! and i went back to pichilemu and that area afterwards to help, in small towns people had lost their homes or were too afraid of going back because the earth kept (and still keeps) moving.

we are used to small "earthquakes" of 6 degrees richter or so and the world doesnt know about it because its quite normal, but this was insane.

http://twitpic.com/15rum9

still quite shocked :woo:

Oooh my!! That's horrible! I know it was really bad because i saw it on the news!
My friend, a friend of my bf was from Santiago, but they are living here in US. He said his family in santiago were okay but there house was just a total wreck.
You're lucky you werent in the city when it happened! Was pichilemu close to santiago?
Reply 74
adam0311
Applying for law to LSE, UCL, Durham, Bristol, and Queen Mary. Finally finished UCAS. Finalized my personal statement over the weekend and have my refrence all filled out.

do you already have a jd and are going for law in the uk for an llm? i'm just confused - do you want to stay over there and practice once you're done? the law systems are so radically different that a law degree from the uk is virtually useless here in the u.s., unless you're basically doing it for the law master's.:confused:
Reply 75
haybelle
do you already have a jd and are going for law in the uk for an llm? i'm just confused - do you want to stay over there and practice once you're done? the law systems are so radically different that a law degree from the uk is virtually useless here in the u.s., unless you're basically doing it for the law master's.:confused:

No, I'm going for the LLB. Basically my plan is to get an LLB and then an LLM in the US. I don't want to limit myself to practicing law in the US. The LLM basically allows one to practice in every state and it only takes one year to obtain. 3 years for the LLB +1 year for the LLM is a much quicker process than 4 years undergrad+3 years law school. I would like to practice law outside of the US, but not ruling out the possibility of coming back to the states. NY for example allows LLB holders to practice without anything additional. Most states allow LLB holders to practice with an LLM. Ideally I'd like to work with an int'l firm. At 3 of the LLB schools I'm applying to, they offer a joint JD/LLB programme with Columbia and USC. 4 years and you end up with an LLB and JD. It's on a competitive basis, so I'm not banking on it. But the possibility is there.

And on a sidenote, I wouldn't go so far to say that the two legal systems are radically different. Yes, they are different. But they are both derived from common law. It's not as radically different as say US/UK law vs. french civil law. The underlying principles in torts, contracts, property and criminal law are going to be relatively similar. Pick up any US law casebook and you'll find much of what they are teaching in US law schools are original cases from the British system. The big differences are going to be once you get into the technical aspects. More likely to be found in the upper-year courses, but that's just an issue of getting specialized. Its unlikely that someone with an LLB could pass a state bar exam right off the bat. However, with a month of study...I'd say they are as equal to most US JD students. Most US law schools don't teach to the state bar anyway. They teach a general overview of common law. Exceptions are going to be super regional schools like Golden Gate University in California.
Reply 76
adam0311
No, I'm going for the LLB. Basically my plan is to get an LLB and then an LLM in the US. I don't want to limit myself to practicing law in the US. The LLM basically allows one to practice in every state and it only takes one year to obtain. 3 years for the LLB +1 year for the LLM is a much quicker process than 4 years undergrad+3 years law school. I would like to practice law outside of the US, but not ruling out the possibility of coming back to the states. NY for example allows LLB holders to practice without anything additional. Most states allow LLB holders to practice with an LLM. Ideally I'd like to work with an int'l firm. At 3 of the LLB schools I'm applying to, they offer a joint JD/LLB programme with Columbia and USC. 4 years and you end up with an LLB and JD. It's on a competitive basis, so I'm not banking on it. But the possibility is there.

And on a sidenote, I wouldn't go so far to say that the two legal systems are radically different. Yes, they are different. But they are both derived from common law. It's not as radically different as say US/UK law vs. french civil law. The underlying principles in torts, contracts, property and criminal law are going to be relatively similar. Pick up any US law casebook and you'll find much of what they are teaching in US law schools are original cases from the British system. The big differences are going to be once you get into the technical aspects. More likely to be found in the upper-year courses, but that's just an issue of getting specialized. Its unlikely that someone with an LLB could pass a state bar exam right off the bat. However, with a month of study...I'd say they are as equal to most US JD students. Most US law schools don't teach to the state bar anyway. They teach a general overview of common law. Exceptions are going to be super regional schools like Golden Gate University in California.

i see what you mean...good for you! sounds interesting. and when i said they are radically different, i was in fact referring to the later studies with regards to specialization and preparation for the bar exam. i've known people who have taken the bar in the state they've studied in as well as people who have taken it in a different state. i'd say the people who took it in state had an easier time, though that bar is quite the B. i can't even imagine trying to take the NY/Cali bar without going to an NY/Cali school, let alone a UK school, lol.

i can understand your argument, and yes they have their similarities, but i would still stand by my statement that they are pretty radically different. case studies...definitely similar. and the underlying structures are similar. its just the training, specialization, and methods that end up being so different, and that's all towards the end. but since you are going through the process to be able to practice in MULTIPLE areas, that's not such a worry. i'm sure they cater to that in their teaching methods. when you said you were going for law, i automatically just assumed you were going to the uk to study law basically as a uk citizen would...which would render you pretty much useless back here. but now that you explained what type of degree you are pursuing, it makes much more sense. :smile:

good luck with that, i wish you the best! sounds like a very interesting degree.
EcstaticMuse
Hey there! Future archaeologist too, huh? *high five!* I, too, want to focus on Classical Archaeology. :biggrin: Just the thought of it makes me giddy inside. Now, about your personal statement, I'd be happy to help! (Even though, technically, you're competition as Edinburgh is my first choice, as well.... :p: )

Actually, I don't know how to help as I practically whipped up mine out of errant thoughts that seemed to go well together. My advice would be to not want to try and sit down and get it done in one sitting. It didn't work that way for me. Try one paragraph. Then another. And another. Don't worry about order, yet.

Just write one paragraph about each topic (a list of which can be found right here on TSR) and then work on making it flow. I would also suggest submitting it to the PS Helpers on this site. They are ace and without them, my PS would suck. Trust me, it has been beat up, torn down, and reposted quite a few times but the end result is worth it. Refining it and keeping it original is the hardest part, which is why the phenomenal helpers are there. I've had to write multiple drafts and each one is better than the last.

Anyway, hope this helped! :yes:

*High Five!* Well, since we're both applying to Edinburgh we'll be in competition for entry to the university over all but not for our specific program. I'm applying to just plain Archaeology, not Classical Archaeology. Have you read Archaeological Theory An Introduction by Matthew Johnson? It's really good and I think it will help me with my personal statement. I hadn't realized how much theory was in my view of archaeology. Yay theory!

Are the PS Helpers free or do they charge?
Hey peeps. :smile: I've finished my first year over here in the UK, and am going into my second, so if you lot have any questions, just let me know. :smile:

Coming over here was the best decision I've ever made. \o/
Mysterywriter221
*High Five!* Well, since we're both applying to Edinburgh we'll be in competition for entry to the university over all but not for our specific program. I'm applying to just plain Archaeology, not Classical Archaeology. Have you read Archaeological Theory An Introduction by Matthew Johnson? It's really good and I think it will help me with my personal statement. I hadn't realized how much theory was in my view of archaeology. Yay theory!

Are the PS Helpers free or do they charge?

:biggrin: They're free and they're great! Oh ok! I was just kidding about the competition, though, haha. I love finding people interested in the same things as me! I can't wait to go to a dig, it's going to be so exciting. I haven't read that yet but I'll definitely take a look at it! It sounds pretty comprehensive and that's always a good thing. Here's hoping we both get into Edinburgh!

Quick Reply

Latest