The Student Room Group

Motorbiker lifts weights.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kerb123
Nope, starting strength as written by Mark Rippetoe has power cleans instead of rows and originally does not have dips or chin ups. They can be added as assistance exercises later on.

I started with similar stats as you OP, and just got back from the gym now and deadlifted 120kg x5 and squatted 95kg 3x5. You'll get a lot stronger very quickly.

The modified version allows for the use of chins and dips. Not everyone has to follow MR's programme to the letter, adapting it to gain the most from it is allowed and really, should be encouraged. Everyone doing the exact same programme would prove to create a very boring world of lifting indeed.

That and the fact that everyone would want to use the bench etc at the same time. :angry:

Subbed.
Reply 21
Original post by kerb123
Nope, starting strength as written by Mark Rippetoe has power cleans instead of rows and originally does not have dips or chin ups. They can be added as assistance exercises later on.

I started with similar stats as you OP, and just got back from the gym now and deadlifted 120kg x5 and squatted 95kg 3x5. You'll get a lot stronger very quickly.

You're right it's not the "original" Starting strength but it's the variation i liked the most on the Starting strength wiki...

Same basic theory and it's only tiny changes. Bent over row instead of power clean because he recomends you get taught how to power clean properly and i don't have anyone to teach me...

Original post by RNBen
The modified version allows for the use of chins and dips. Not everyone has to follow MR's programme to the letter, adapting it to gain the most from it is allowed and really, should be encouraged. Everyone doing the exact same programme would prove to create a very boring world of lifting indeed.

Subbed.

Yea, and that...

I didn't want to do power cleans and do them wrong as it's a technical lift so i subbed it for something else...

Will be going for 55 Squat/35 Strict Press/45 Rows tomorrow morning.
Squats should be fine.
Strict Press is gonna absolutely kill me.
Dunno about Rows as i've only done them once before but i should be fine as i'm only adding 5kg.

My pull ups are going to suck after those though. May try doing some dips after as well... to make up for me probably only getting 2 pull ups...
Reply 22
UPDATE

Workout B
(Weights*Reps*Sets)
Squats -
bar*5
40*3
55*5*3

Squats are finally starting to be felt in my legs. That sounds weird but i used to cycle/run a lot so have fairly chunky legs to begin with and the giant weight sat on my traps has been what was killing me before but it wasn't so bad today...

Strict Press
bar*5
25*5
35*5*3 :woo:

These absolutely killed me. The last rep of the last 2 sets were a right struggle but i got through it.
Considering i'm only benching 40*5*3 i was impressed, will be hitting 45 on bench on monday though...

Bent over rows
bar*10
30*5
45*5*3

Wasn't too bad.

Pull ups(very wide grip with palms facing away from me)
BW*5
BW*3
I fail at these still but am getting slightly better.

I also then fagged about trying to do situps and managed 2 sets of 10... Was embaressed at looking a fag so left...
Reply 23
UPDATE

Cardio workout as it's weekend time.

Spinning class. Used to be done twice a week but hadn't been told in 4 weeks.

Was 42 minutes not including full warm up/cool down. Averaged 176bpm on the whole workout and peaked at 190...

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/MHorman/bkoebhok168ibf3u

If anyone wants to be geeky and have a lot at the whole thing it's there. Random sprints/hills etc.

Back to lifting weights on monday. Rest day tomorrow...
Reply 24
UPDATE

Did random cardio of cycling today. Not proper extreme high heart rate stuff like yesterday just a casual ride. I was mainly just cycling the 3 ish miles to the local ASDA to pick up some cheap food.(Damn, forgot to buy the big bag of nuts...:frown: ) Did take the scenic route though and it was alright.

Total distance was just over 10k so barely anything really... Did pick up cheap eggs/Pasta though.

Weights to lift tomorrow morning are Squats 60/ Bench 45/Deadlift 70.

Reckon they should all be easy enough, except maybe Bench, but we'll see...
Reply 25
UPDATE

Squats -
bar*5
50*5
60*5*3:biggrin:
Was a killer though...

Bench -
bar*5
30*5
45*5*3
Was tough, almost failed on second set but then third set was fine.

Deadlift -
40kg*5*2(Practising my form)
50*4
70*5

Chins -
BW*8
BW*5
BW*3

Tough workout but just about made it.... :smile:

All 3 were PBs but then again every workout most of my lifts are PBs because i'm still a n00b...
Reply 26
UPDATE

Bit of a fail of a workout today. Not been sleeping much lately and other excuses..

Squat
Bar*5
40*4
65*5,5,4

Just failed the last rep. Was my first fail since i started SS but not my last of the day...

Press
bar*5
30*4
40*1 Damn that felt heavy, tried a second and couldn't so lowered to 37.5
37.5*3,5,4 That was weird. Thyink i probably just psyched myself out with the 40kg lift.

Will try 40 again next week...

Rows
bar*5
30*4
50*5,5,4 Last rep came up like 80% of the way but i'd call it just a fail...

Pull ups
BW*3
BW*2

Was knackered from earlier lifts...

Overall a bit annoying but i'll still progress them all next time but going to drop press to 2.5 increments from now on instead of 5.

Still got new 5RM on squat/press/row so it's not too bad. And a new 1RM on press as well... Considering 2 weeks ago i couldn't even bench 40 it's not too bad...
Reply 27
Original post by MHorman
x

Lifts are improving with every session which is what counts, wouldn't worry too much about failing on a rep, especially when you are doing it by pushing yourself. :smile:
Reply 28
I also fin that when I fail, it takes it out of me for the rest of the workout! I think you did really well to carry on after failing and still having a decent session!
Failing is quite inevitable when you're pushing yourself but I don't think you should fail regularly on big excercises (failing on curls or something really isn't a big deal.) You need to get a grasp of when you're going to fail but the only way to do that is to fail. So don't worry about it but start paying more attention to your technique/feeling when you are near failure. Eventually you will know whether you're going to be able to grind it out (or even whether you should grind it out) in future.
Reply 30
Original post by RNBen
Lifts are improving with every session which is what counts, wouldn't worry too much about failing on a rep, especially when you are doing it by pushing yourself. :smile:

Yea, i'm expected to fail sooner or later. Will just lower my gains down from 5kg a workout to 2.5 and should be fine...

Original post by Becca
I also fin that when I fail, it takes it out of me for the rest of the workout! I think you did really well to carry on after failing and still having a decent session!

Yea, the attempt at 40kg on the OHP did take it out of me quite a bit. Took myself a few minutes of break whilst changing weights and manned up and carried on...

Original post by The Blind Monk
Failing is quite inevitable when you're pushing yourself but I don't think you should fail regularly on big excercises (failing on curls or something really isn't a big deal.) You need to get a grasp of when you're going to fail but the only way to do that is to fail. So don't worry about it but start paying more attention to your technique/feeling when you are near failure. Eventually you will know whether you're going to be able to grind it out (or even whether you should grind it out) in future.

Thanks.

The only one i properly failed was the squat and i failed at the bottom so just put it straight onto the rails that stick out.

For my ohp fails i just knew i was going to fail it so didn't try them.

Gonna be going for 67.5kg Squat/50 Bench/75 Deadlift on friday. :biggrin:

Edit: 2 neg reps now on my OP, Thanks TSR...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
UPDATE

BRILLIANT WORKOUT! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Squats -
bar*5
50*4
70*5*3
Was a tough one, almost failed but just made it...

Bench -
bar*5
30*4
50*5*3
Had a spotter this week for my 50kg attempt and i made sure he didn't touch the bar but it was a lot better knowing i couldn't kill myself with the weight.

Deadlift -
40kg*5
60*4
75*5

Chins -
BW*9.5( SOOOOOooo close to getting my 10th, was annoying)
BW*4
BW*3

Was an awesome workout.

My 5RMs are now 70/50/75. Total is 195. Gonna be hitting 200 on monday. :cool:

My originals were 45/40/55 so am progressing well.
Reply 32
Good going mate. Im doing the same Routine as you pretty much with abit of HIIT thrown in on 2 of the days off.

Started at the same as you and currently 5 rep max's for 3 sets

Squat 75
Bench 50
Deadlift 85
OHP 32.5 :frown: (Major struggle to progress)
Clean 45

Chins and dips are getting easier-ish although they still really hurt!
Reply 33
Good news :yy:
Reply 34
Original post by Harvey121
Good going mate. Im doing the same Routine as you pretty much with abit of HIIT thrown in on 2 of the days off.

Started at the same as you and currently 5 rep max's for 3 sets

Squat 75
Bench 50
Deadlift 85
OHP 32.5 :frown: (Major struggle to progress)
Clean 45

Chins and dips are getting easier-ish although they still really hurt!

Nice, everyone always seems to kick my ass on deadlift but i beat them on OHP. :biggrin:

And i went for barbell rows instead of cleans. How long have you been doing yours for and have you got a blog on here?
Reply 35
Haven't got a blog. Full time work doesnt really give me much time to write one. Im happy just tracking my progress through a sheet I have on my desk. :smile:

Haven't been on the routine that long I don't think before xmas, but had a bit of a rocky patch over Xmas due to many social events!

How you getting on with the diet side of things? Im trying to eat more regularly than normal and eat pretty clean with protein supplements.

Ill try follow your progress and keep you updated on mine
Reply 36
Original post by Harvey121

How you getting on with the diet side of things? Im trying to eat more regularly than normal and eat pretty clean with protein supplements.

Ill try follow your progress and keep you updated on mine

Eating more than usual and trying to drink lots of whole milk.
Getting about 4 pints of milk a day atm.

Eating lots of protein as well. :smile:
Reply 37
UPDATE

Cardio time for weekend.

Spinning class.
http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/MHorman/6iklecfsnjujpdij

Averaged 167bpm

The "hills" were killers after my heavy squats yesterday.
Reply 38
UPDATE

Cardio, cycling. Wasn't very far but i took the long nice route to ASDA and then went shopping(lots of nuts/PB/wholemeal pasta) then came back..

There was a proper racing cyclist on a road bike on the road and i can't turn down a race so i caught up with him and kept with his speed up this giant hill, whilst on my mountain bike with a gigantic bag full of shopping weighing me down. :biggrin:

Plan for tomorrow morning is 75/52.5(55 if there's a spotter available)/80.
Should smash through 200 total and be on my way to 250.:biggrin:

Short term plans(like June) are to get 100/70/130. Or similiar to get my total to around 300 with a BW bench and 1.5BW squat and 2*BW deadlift, ish...

No idea how possible that is because i foresee my "n00b gains" stopping in the next week or two...
Reply 39
Did he know you were racing? Goals sound good though I think your bench can easily exceed BW by June.

Quick Reply

Latest