The Student Room Group
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website

University of Salford student fees - your questions answered

Hey everyone,

Do you have any questions about the student fees and funding at Salford for 2012?

We're here to answer any questions on funding you might have, so post up your questions in this thread and we'll get back to you as soon as we can :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by University of Salford
Hey everyone,

Do you have any questions about the student fees and funding at Salford for 2012?

We're here to answer any questions on funding you might have, so post up your questions in this thread and we'll get back to you as soon as we can :smile:

I have a question -- how does one apply for the bursaries? Is it through studentfinance.gov or is it through Salford University itself?

Thanks. :smile:
Students at work
University of Salford
Salford
Visit website
Hello!
I hope you can help with my question.

I applied for the Tuition Fee loan and basic Student Loan. I have since found out that, as I have a child and as I am on a low income, I could be entitled to apply for grants. How do I go about this now, as my application for finance has already been processed and the declaration sent back?

Thank you!
Reply 3
Hi,
I'm looking into the university from overseas and I was just wondering what my best bet is financial aid wise. I really have no idea how to start going about loans or grants or if those are even available. A little push in the right direction, maybe a link to some sort of application would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jamie
Original post by k3ro
I have a question -- how does one apply for the bursaries? Is it through studentfinance.gov or is it through Salford University itself?

Thanks. :smile:

Hi, you're intending to start in 2011 aren't you? The deadline for applications for student finance has now past. You'll still be able to get funding but there's no guarantee you will get it for the start of term so apply as soon as possible if you can.

You need to apply using the link below and you might also be asked to provide evidence of your household income and or your identity.

By completing that form, it will ensure that we will check your eligibility for the bursaries available. Information on Salford's bursaries for 2011 entry are available at:
http://www.salford.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/money_matters/incoming/

If you're from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland you will need to complete a different form but just let me know if this is the case.
Original post by NorthernGirl
Hello!
I hope you can help with my question.

I applied for the Tuition Fee loan and basic Student Loan. I have since found out that, as I have a child and as I am on a low income, I could be entitled to apply for grants. How do I go about this now, as my application for finance has already been processed and the declaration sent back?

Thank you!

Hi, there's some useful information about the childcare grant available at:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@educ/documents/digitalasset/dg_183901.pdf
Did you complete the section about the childcare grant on the application form for student finance or did you leave it blank?
Original post by jamielynne
Hi,
I'm looking into the university from overseas and I was just wondering what my best bet is financial aid wise. I really have no idea how to start going about loans or grants or if those are even available. A little push in the right direction, maybe a link to some sort of application would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Jamie

Hi Jamie, information on fees, loans and grants depends on whether you are a UK/EU or an international student living abroad. If you are classed as an international student there's some useful information here on the fees, how to pay and even a link to a cost-of-living calculator:
http://www.salford.ac.uk/international/faq/#q6

Information on scholarships is available at:
http://www.salford.ac.uk/international/scholarships/

If this isn't appropriate to you just let me know.
Hi, there's some useful information about the childcare grant available at:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@educ/documents/digitalasset/dg_183901.pdf
Did you complete the section about the childcare grant on the application form for student finance or did you leave it blank?

Thank you for responding.
I left it blank because my son is 12 years old and I didn't think I would fall under the childcare criteria.
Hi, the best thing to do is to contact Student Finance England by phone (0845 300 5090) and let them know of the change. You will need to have your customer reference number and your secret answer to discuss your application with them but if you explain the circumstances they'll be able to send out an additional form for you to complete. There's some information here about the kind of information you'll probably need to have available to send to them:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Extrahelp/DG_171503

If there's anything else I can help with just let me know.
Reply 9
Hi, you're intending to start in 2011 aren't you? The deadline for applications for student finance has now past. You'll still be able to get funding but there's no guarantee you will get it for the start of term so apply as soon as possible if you can.

You need to apply using the link below and you might also be asked to provide evidence of your household income and or your identity.

By completing that form, it will ensure that we will check your eligibility for the bursaries available. Information on Salford's bursaries for 2011 entry are available at:

If you're from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland you will need to complete a different form but just let me know if this is the case.

Yep, 2011. I probably should have worded my question better - I have actually already applied (and been accepted for) student finance. I was just wondering whether I'd have to apply for the bursaries on the same form or if it went through the university instead. Also, because I got a place through clearing, I'm going to have to change my student finance form because obviously the university I'm attending will have changed.

But you answered my question anyway, with the:
"By completing that form, it will ensure that we will check your eligibility for the bursaries available".

So, thank you again! :smile:
I am eligible for both the community bursary and the full maintenance grant bursary. I have followed the link and I am still unsure of how and where to apply, can you point me in the right direction?
Reply 11
I was wondering whether i would be eligible for a bursary as my parents didn't go to uni?

Also, is there a maximum number of students who can get the Vice-Chancellor Bursary, or is it for anyone with AAB at a level.
Thanks!
Original post by Michael1986

I am eligible for both the community bursary and the full maintenance grant bursary. I have followed the link and I am still unsure of how and where to apply, can you point me in the right direction?

Hi, are you planning to start your undergraduate course in 2011 or 2012?
Original post by TheHaylio

Original post by TheHaylio
I was wondering whether i would be eligible for a bursary as my parents didn't go to uni?

Also, is there a maximum number of students who can get the Vice-Chancellor Bursary, or is it for anyone with AAB at a level.
Thanks!

Hi
From 2012, The University of Salford will have two scholarships for undergraduate courses. One relates to your family income and where you live and the other is dependent on you achieving at least 340 points. There's more information, including a fees calculator so that you can find out exactly what you would be eligible for, here:
http://www.salford.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/money_matters/2012/

There isn't a maximum number of learners eligible for the Vice-Chancellor bursary so as long you get 340 points (or equivalent) and meet any other criteria in terms of level of course etc. you're eligible!

Original post by k3ro
Yep, 2011. I probably should have worded my question better - I have actually already applied (and been accepted for) student finance. I was just wondering whether I'd have to apply for the bursaries on the same form or if it went through the university instead. Also, because I got a place through clearing, I'm going to have to change my student finance form because obviously the university I'm attending will have changed.

But you answered my question anyway, with the:
"By completing that form, it will ensure that we will check your eligibility for the bursaries available".

So, thank you again! :smile:

You are very welcome and if there's anything else we can do just let me know.
Hi, are you planning to start your undergraduate course in 2011 or 2012?

I start in 2011
Reply 16
i start september 2011 and dont know where to start with finances and what im entitled to
Hey everyone,

I know most of the questions are going to be Undergraduate fee-related, but I was wondering what the Postgraduate fees will be in 2012, or when these fees will be announced?

I graduate from my BA in 2012 from Salford, and was hoping to take an MA after. I realise that the Undergraduate fee rise and cuts to funding within higher education are highly likely to affect and change the pricing of MAs. I've been constantly checking the Postgrad pages, but have found no information yet.
Any information would be most appreciated, as I need to make a decision soon if I can or can not afford it.

Thank you!

I start in 2011

Hi, have you completed the finance application forms online?
Original post by zoe-oldham

Original post by zoe-oldham
i start september 2011 and dont know where to start with finances and what im entitled to

Hi, the best thing to do is to visit the website below to get information on the fees and funding available. You can also apply online through this link:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/index.htm

The University of Salford's page also has details about the funding available centrally and what we can offer in terms of bursaries:

The main thing is that there is financial support available but you need to apply as soon as possible if you haven't done so already. If you have any queries after you've had a look through those websites just let me know.

Quick Reply