The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by I<3LAMP
Look how proud they are in their lil photo.

:rolleyes:

1) Pride generally comes from the face, and their faces are blurred. Are you an expert in body language?
2) How is the photo any smaller than most other photos used in internet news articles
3) What point were you trying to make with your comment? Ok, I'll pretend to see some pride... so what?
Original post by the bear
Well if someone stole a £50 pound note from your wallet we could tell you not to get worked up about a rectangular piece of paper...

£50 notes have transferable economic value. A poppy simply acts a vehicle for nationalism and irrationality, such as these arrests. Besides, a £50 note is objectively worth £50, whereas a poppy is worth different things to different people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by ravsingh
most "ragheads" (like myself) are sikhs actually and we are quite different to muslims so that comment was rather stupid. a significant number of sikhs actually fought in the british army during both world wars so the "ragheads" would have no reason to burn poppies. just saying :wink:

A significant number of Muslims also fought in the British Army during WW1 and WW11. Of the 1.3 million Indians who constituted the volunteer force during the first world war, approximately 400,000 were Muslims.
I actually think it is fair to label incitement as a crime.

What would happen if say a dead soldier was being buried and some kid came over during the funeral laughing and taking a p--s on his grave? If one of the grieving family assaulted the kid who has caused the crime?

If incitement is not a crime then its just assault and the member of the grieving family would be the criminal.
Reply 44
Original post by Howard
A significant number of Muslims also fought in the British Army during WW1 and WW11. Of the 1.3 million Indians who constituted the volunteer force during the first world war, approximately 400,000 were Muslims.

I understand that, but my point was that the person who commented was obviously referring to muslims when he talked about "ragheads" whereas most turbaned people are in fact sikh :smile:
Reply 45
I understand that, but my point was that the person who commented was obviously referring to muslims when he talked about "ragheads" whereas most turbaned people are in fact sikh :smile:

How do you know he was referring to muslims?
If they are arrested then so should the bible and koran burners as well.
They know fully well what the poppy represents. This is just a slap in the face to anyone who is a veteran, an injured veteran or related to a fallen veteran. Seriously, don't pull the whole, 'it's only paper' rubbish. You're completely removing the concept of symbolism out of existence, you are justifying the destruction and defecation of every symbol ever. Or you are a hypocrite. Jesus.
people say they shouldnt be arrested.....

in the good old days, you are right, they would NOT be arrested. instead theyd get a clip round the ear and a beating behind some shed.

however hitting children and beating them as punnishment has been outlawed nowadays, even when it might be the most effective method of discipline.

so in our modern society the only thing we have left to "get them" with is to arrest them and criminalise them. So arresting them is the only thing we can do.

unless of course you are suggesting burning poppys is an acceptable behaviour in our society........
Reply 49
Original post by blueray
If they are arrested then so should the bible and koran burners as well.

and the mohammed drawers(and those who agree with it(majority of tsr).
i feel sorry for your illetrate soldiers fighting for nothing but your politicians....however i prasie the solders fighting for thier country iraq
Reply 51
They had to pay for that poppy so if they want to burn it thats ok with me.
ffs they burnt poppies so what. people can have whatever opinions they want, and i doubt their actions actually were inciting hatred.
Well if someone stole a £50 pound note from your wallet we could tell you not to get worked up about a rectangular piece of paper...

apart from a £50 note's value can be objectively measured?
Reply 54
Court case sounds reasonable. This should be applied to everyone who decides to burn poppies, regardless of skin colour.

The lack of mass arrests in certain parts of Birmingham and London speaks its own story.
Reply 55
Original post by umarrehman187
i feel sorry for your illetrate soldiers fighting for nothing but your politicians....however i prasie the solders fighting for thier country iraq

:rofl:
Reply 56
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Yeah, I agree. We can't just arrest everythig we disgree with.

Exactly this. If you only believe in freedom of expression for views you like then you don't believe in it.
Reply 57
Original post by ArtGoblin
It's ridiculous that people can be arrested for this. We shouldn't be forced to 'respect' the war dead ; people have such a strange attitude to war veterans and current soldiers. I will respect someone if I feel they deserve it, otherwise it's not respect, it's just social pressure

Although I agree that honouring the war dead should be something that you feel obliged to do, rather than something that's made into an obligation, it's hard to imagine a situation in which those that gave their lives in WWI and WWII (in particular) would be undeserving of the utmost respect.
Reply 58

You're comparing apples with oranges. Stealing 50 pounds from someones wallet is theft. The burning of a poppy is burning your own property (assuming they didn't steel it).
Reply 59

I don't think that's even true. Sikhs only constitute about 27 million people worldwide. Out of that it's only the baptised Sikhs who wear turbans. Considering that turbans are apart of the Aghan national dress and extremely common amongst Kurds, most turbaned people are probably Muslim.

Latest