The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3900
Original post by 35mm_
Ah. I'm sorry it's came to this, but maybe being admitted to hospital may help with whatever you've got going on at the moment. I've got a bad feeling I'm going to be admitted again in the next week. Sucks. I hope things get better for you, I truly do.

Thanks :smile: :hugs:. I hope things get better for you too :console:

And I might not be able to post too much for now.
Original post by Anonymous
No chickening out! :unimpressed:
Haha, I always do that, haven't used a hairdryer for ages! :tongue:
Was today any better? :hugs:

I resisted! I may have had a chocolate as a substitute and I may be drinking a cup of tea right now but still. :tongue:
Meeting with the mental health advisor was really good, once he recieves the gp's letter he's going to email me to fill is a DSA application form which will pay for the mentoring. Looks like it should be ok for my counsellor to be my mentor, only technical thing is there needs to be some time between the counselling ending and the mentoring starting but as the form will take a while to be processed that should be ok. Apparently my counsellor spoke to him and said we get on quite well and I open up to him, that's why it would be good for him to be my mentor. Maybe I'm able to talk to him a bit better than I thought. :colondollar:

Sorry! Didn't go today though.
Felt the same this morning but I'm not feeling too bad at the moment. Need to get through this homework and start and finish a piece of coursework for period 2 tomorrow. Definitely not going to happen and if it does, it will probably bring my mood down with it.

Spoiler

Haha, well done! :hugs:
That sounds really fantastic! :biggrin:
Sorry! Didn't go today though.
Felt the same this morning but I'm not feeling too bad at the moment. Need to get through this homework and start and finish a piece of coursework for period 2 tomorrow. Definitely not going to happen and if it does, it will probably bring my mood down with it.

Spoiler

Haha, well done! :hugs:
That sounds really fantastic! :biggrin:

Hopefully you'll see her oon. :hugs:
If you don't feel up to it, it's not worth risking your mood over. :console:

Spoiler

Yeah, was getting sad about counselling finishing before yesterday, looks like it's all going to work out nicely.
Spent everyday the last few days telling myself I was going to tell me housemates about leaving. Should tell them now, can hear at least 3 out of 4 of them in the kitchen, but I saw one of them earlier when I went to make a sandwich so now I'm worried she will think it's strange I didn't tell her then. Aah I'm probably thinking about this far too much. :sigh:
Hopefully you'll see her oon. :hugs:
If you don't feel up to it, it's not worth risking your mood over. :console:

Spoiler

Yeah, was getting sad about counselling finishing before yesterday, looks like it's all going to work out nicely.
Spent everyday the last few days telling myself I was going to tell me housemates about leaving. Should tell them now, can hear at least 3 out of 4 of them in the kitchen, but I saw one of them earlier when I went to make a sandwich so now I'm worried she will think it's strange I didn't tell her then. Aah I'm probably thinking about this far too much. :sigh:

I suppose not but I really need to do them. I've done a piece of homework and I've started the coursework but both are the most half-arsed piece of work I've ever done, I keep missing words out.

Spoiler

I highly doubt she would think you are strange, it makes perfect sense to tell everybody when they're all together. :console:
Original post by superwolf
Aww, that's no fun. :frown: If it's for anon issues, maybe you could try making a new account?

Yes it is an anon issue. And yeah, I may do at some point but I think as useful as this thread was at the start I noticed that I would just often use it to vent and wallow but then do nothing about it afterwards. I think I need to start dealing with this properly and sort out the situation with me and my friends first.
I suppose not but I really need to do them. I've done a piece of homework and I've started the coursework but both are the most half-arsed piece of work I've ever done, I keep missing words out.

Spoiler

I highly doubt she would think you are strange, it makes perfect sense to tell everybody when they're all together. :console:

Well at least you've made an attempt, which is so hard to do when you're feeling rubbish. :hugs:

Spoiler

They've left now, feel so pathetic. Going home tomorrow, was planning to tell them then tell my family this weekend, kind of messed that plan up. Avoiding work aswell, so frustrated with myself. End of moan. :tongue:
Original post by 35mm_
I can't do it to my mum though. She told me she doesn't know how she'd cope if I went into hospital again. When I was first admitted she tried to kill herself and she's threatened to do the same if I go back in :frown:

You weren't 'promoting alcoholism'. Ignore her.

Yeah I have similar thoughts about how my family would feel if I went into hospital again. *begins hypocrisy* She'd feel even worse if you ended up doing something really bad to yourself though, so it still might be kinder on her to tell her how you've been feeling and what's going on. I'd say you, her and your CPN could all sit down and discuss it together, but on second thoughts... maybe not. :tongue: *hypocrisy ends*

I shall take your advice. Besides, anyone who's a regular on this thread should know by now that I don't promote alcohol(ism), I promote infectonator! :awesome:

Original post by Angury
Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advice if that's ok.
I'm planning on making a GP appointment because I'm worried that I might have depression. I'm very nervous though, and I've been putting the appointment off for a while. Could someone tell me the basics about what happens during the appointment? I'm not a very good talker, so I'm not sure what I should mention.
If I do get diagnosed with depression, I'm reluctant to try antidepressants, and I personally don't think counselling is for me because like I said, I don't like talking (although I'm willing to give anything a go I guess if it makes me better). I'm just wondering what else they would suggest, or are those the two main options that are usually offered?
I know the appointment is different for each person, but I'm freaking out a little so anything to calm me down would be great!

It's something you can very easily build up in your mind to something bordering on terrifying, but speaking to your GP about possible depression really isn't too scary. A standard initial appointment would generally start off with you saying what the problem was, then them asking questions about you and your family's health, and about how you feel on a day to day basis (you might get a brief questionnaire to fill in about this). If it seems to them like you have a problem then they might ask to do blood tests to rule out some physical illnesses, ask to see you again in a couple of weeks to see if your low mood lasts, or discuss treatment plans straight away.

Although antidepressants and therapy/counselling are the main treatments offered, you could also ask for advice or more information on other stuff that you might find beneficial, such as lifestyle changes (e.g. healthy eating, exercise, good sleeping patterns), or there might be options more specific to your case that they might be able to suggest, such as getting a special lamp or light box if you might have SAD.

Original post by Noodlzzz
Got admitted for a week, only just got out. Told my GP that I thought she was part of a group who wan to hurt me. She sent me to an A&E. They put ****ing police officers outside my cubicle incase I tried to run. Then got threatened with section if I didn't go to hospital voluntarily. No beds in the local hospital so was taken to a high security intensive unit where I was stripped, searched, had everything removed from me including the underwear I was wearing and forced to take sedatives as me asking to be discharged was 'hostile behaviour'. Finally got discharged to my local hospital where again, threatened with section when I tried to leave. Told me I was schizophrenic put me on antipsychotics. Next psychiatrist I saw decided to take me off the antipsychotics, transfer me to a crisis house where I wanted to go initially. Then the crisis team rocked up decided they want me to go home so I'm now in the ****ing basement of my halls scared ****less about the spies, not given medication that could possible help, pissed at the people who put me in hospital and feeling suicidal but can't call the crisis team because I am NEVER going back into hospital again.

For anyone who thinks hospital is place of rest or respite it's not. It is a last resort for times of serious crisis.

Bloody hell that takes the biscuit. I'd even be tempted to make some kind of a formal complaint about them, to try and prevent the same kind of thing happening in the future.

Anyway, I'm glad you're out now, and I hope the whole experience hasn't set your recovery too far back. :hugs:

Yes it is an anon issue. And yeah, I may do at some point but I think as useful as this thread was at the start I noticed that I would just often use it to vent and wallow but then do nothing about it afterwards. I think I need to start dealing with this properly and sort out the situation with me and my friends first.

Fair enough. Remember that you're always welcome back here though, even if you don't want to be posting regularly.

Good luck dealing with your problems and I hope that resolving them helps. :smile:
Well at least you've made an attempt, which is so hard to do when you're feeling rubbish. :hugs:

Spoiler

They've left now, feel so pathetic. Going home tomorrow, was planning to tell them then tell my family this weekend, kind of messed that plan up. Avoiding work aswell, so frustrated with myself. End of moan. :tongue:

It's so dull, an essay on splitting carrots :curious:

Spoiler

You're not pathetic at all, anybody would do what you did in your position :console:
Moans are fine! :tongue:
It's so dull, an essay on splitting carrots :curious:

Spoiler

You're not pathetic at all, anybody would do what you did in your position :console:
Moans are fine! :tongue:

Seriously? :mmm:
I thought my coursework was dull but you have my sympathy! :tongue:

Spoiler

was having an alright day, done some coursework in chemistry, and a module test in biology, plus had a half day which was fun.

then i overheard some boys in the lower years saying i looked like susan boyle. :frown:

for all i know they were talking about someone else, but there was only upper sixth girl in the area (me) and they were talking about the upper sixth girl infront of them. why should i care? theyre only stupid boys in the lower school. but i cant stop thinking about it...

im always going to be the awkward, clumsy, fat, ugly girl. i can exercise and diet and wear make up and nicer clothes, but i'll still be that girl.

why do i even bother trying?
Reply 3910
Just dropping in to say I've had no internet for a couple of days. I'll catch up with my quotes and stuff tomorrow.
Original post by Nut.
Just dropping in to say I've had no internet for a couple of days. I'll catch up with my quotes and stuff tomorrow.
We've all missed you, I'm sure. :tongue:
Seriously? :mmm:
I thought my coursework was dull but you have my sympathy! :tongue:

Spoiler

Yes. :laugh:
My chemistry coursework is about crisps and chips, much more fun :drool:
Reply 3913
I am not being admitted into hospital :smile:
Original post by avhhs

That's good news :smile:. Sounds like you are doing OK then?
I've been smoking far too much lately :colondollar:
Original post by avhhs
That's great news! You must be relieved. :smile:
Inspired by the post a pic of your dorm thread, here are the 3 different rooms I've stayed in in psych hospitals :P

photo2zam.th.jpg

photomfc.th.jpg

photo3wp.th.jpg
Reply 3918

Those look a lot nicer than I had expected, actually.
Reply 3919
Original post by McNuggetsAhoy
That's good news :smile:. Sounds like you are doing OK then?

Original post by Pareidolia
That's great news! You must be relieved. :smile:

Yes I really am. All the bad feelings towards my mum seem to have disappeared (for now :tongue:), and will probably have a meeting with my psychiatrist tomorrow (or in the next few days). Don't know why I wanted to go to hospital in the first place :colondollar:. That really long wait knocked some sense into me. Happened the last time too, exactly 2 months ago (though that was much worse). Must control my feelings. Although I have ICT tomorrow, and that lesson can bring out the worst in me :frown:.

Now I have loads of homework for tomorrow. I'm not going to do it :tongue:. My teacher lets us miss one homework per half term :biggrin:.

Inspired by the post a pic of your dorm thread, here are the 3 different rooms I've stayed in in psych hospitals :P

The first two look quite luxurious actually :tongue:, and they are an excellent size. The third one is a bit small.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest