The Student Room Group

Where to do the lpc and training contract?

I am currently a first year law student at Swansea Uni. I am hoping to become a solicitor but I am unsure of where to do my lpc. I could stay on at Swansea or go back home and do it at bpp or college of law in the Surrey and london areas. However, I am aware that whilst comPleting the lpc you gain contacts with locals firms and I feel it would be less competitive when applying to training contracts in the south Wales area rather than in London (where many Russell group and Oxbridge students will be applying).

What are people's thoughts on this as to which institution would be most beneficial to choose? Also if anyone has had an experience of making a simular decision or these schools?

Thanks
It doesn't matter where you do your LPC but some firms may require that you do it with a certain provider.

I think it's far too early to be worrying about LPC providers at first year.
Reply 2
Original post by HoneyBee67
I am currently a first year law student at Swansea Uni. I am hoping to become a solicitor but I am unsure of where to do my lpc. I could stay on at Swansea or go back home and do it at bpp or college of law in the Surrey and london areas. However, I am aware that whilst comPleting the lpc you gain contacts with locals firms and I feel it would be less competitive when applying to training contracts in the south Wales area rather than in London (where many Russell group and Oxbridge students will be applying).

What are people's thoughts on this as to which institution would be most beneficial to choose? Also if anyone has had an experience of making a simular decision or these schools?

Thanks

Don't worry about your LPC. You don't need to apply for the LPC until your third year, and you don't need to apply for TCs till the summer after your second year. You will probably want to apply for summer vac schemes in November/December/January of your second year.

At the moment, focus on getting the best marks you can and enjoying yourself.

In any case, where you do your LPC really doesn't matter in the slightest.
Reply 3
Original post by HoneyBee67

Thanks

It doesn't really matter and, at the end of the day they're a business who are interested in making money, you are worth around £10,000 to them. I was recently told by a lecturer that there are more LPC places than there are applicants this year so should this continue chose which ever one you want, the ball is in your court, just concentrate on getting good grades for now. You should try your best to get a TC before you go on to the LPC though, its a lot of money and thinking that the LPC will guarantee you a job is an illusion and you might not actually get a training contract with a local firm. I've read so many articles and posts on forums by LPC graduates who are now having to pay back career-development loans without having secured a TC and there's a lot of people who have completed the LPC and five years down the lines they're still trying to secure a TC. It's hard for everyone at the minute so just make sure you do the right thing for you.
Reply 4
HoneyBee67
However, I am aware that whilst comPleting the lpc you gain contacts with locals firms and I feel it would be less competitive when applying to training contracts in the south Wales area rather than in London (where many Russell group and Oxbridge students will be applying).

Without 'outing' myself too much on here, I would like to say that I am a future trainee at a regional law firm and everyone in my intake went to a Russell Group university (inc. Oxbridge). Don't necessarily assume it'll be easier or less competitive outside London. You may have fewer Russell group applicants but there are also fewer places and, yes, I felt my Oxbridge degree stood out a lot more outside the City than it did in. Whether it particularly helped me or not, however, I can't say.
Original post by Frances99
Without 'outing' myself too much on here, I would like to say that I am a future trainee at a regional law firm and everyone in my intake went to a Russell Group university (inc. Oxbridge). Don't necessarily assume it'll be easier or less competitive outside London. You may have fewer Russell group applicants but there are also fewer places and, yes, I felt my Oxbridge degree stood out a lot more outside the City than it did in. Whether it particularly helped me or not, however, I can't say.

^this.
An LPC in London costs £13k (Incl. SRA registration) and outside London costs £9.5k.
On top of your student loan and course fees (which I believe are not up to something stupid per annum), it is seriously a bad idea to even think of committing to it without first securing a training contract. even if your particular firm does not end up paying for your LPC fees, you will know at the end of it you have a job.

There are also way more people who go through the LPC than there are Training Contracts, especially since many firms recruit 2 year in advance. So you might be left high and dry if you just go ahead and do the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending