The Student Room Group

Scotland Yard Racism...

A black man has used his phone to record police officers telling him "The problem with you is that you will always be a <racist expletive>.

After Liam Stacey, I'm certain those coppers are going to face some jail time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/30/police-racism-black-man-abuse

Scroll to see replies

What a pair of dicks. They'll have a hard enough time justifying the strangling and use of the word 'c***', let alone the racism. I'm very interesting in seeing what defense they come up with for this.
Reply 2
Original post by IlliteratePedant
What a pair of dicks. They'll have a hard enough time justifying the strangling and use of the word 'c***', let alone the racism. I'm very interesting in seeing what defense they come up with for this.

They won't need a defence, the CPS will just uphold its original decision not to prosecute and the courts will back them up if an appeal is made. They would rather the fallout from two racist officers getting away with it than admitting the whole system is corrupt. Can't wait to hear the excuses though, some technicality no doubt.
Reply 3
Original post by James82
They won't need a defence, the CPS will just uphold its original decision not to prosecute and the courts will back them up if an appeal is made. They would rather the fallout from two racist officers getting away with it than admitting the whole system is corrupt. Can't wait to hear the excuses though, some technicality no doubt.

On Stacey, Senior CPS lawyer, Jim Brisbane says:

"Racist language is inappropriate in any setting and through any media. We hope this case will serve as a warning to anyone who thinks that comments made online are somehow above the law"
Original post by marcusfox
A black man has used his phone to record police officers telling him "The problem with you is that you will always be a <racist expletive>.

After Liam Stacey, I'm certain those coppers are going to face some jail time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/30/police-racism-black-man-abuse

Doubt it,

1) Liam Stacey was an exceptional example, 9/10 cases similar to that would've never seen anywhere near the severity of sentencing here

2) Judging from history, the police have a habit of getting off lightly when caught with wrongdoing.
Clever... he had the last laugh in the end, they're definitely not fit to be police officers with such hatred views.
Reply 6
Old trick police try to push your buttons when your in a vulnerable position, bait you into giving a reaction they can perceive as violent and screw you over big time. I don't think it's so much a issue of institutional racism more institutional corruption, whenever we think of police corruption we usually think of bribes and such but remember folks arrests = promotion so get busy and if you happen to arrest someone and they start acting violent you might even catch the superintendent's eye and get yourself that sergeant you've been chasing.

The great thing about the availability of technology these days helping to catch officers like this, wonder how long it will be before recording anything the police does becomes a crime.
Reply 7
On Stacey, Senior CPS lawyer, Jim Brisbane says:

"Racist language is inappropriate in any setting and through any media. We hope this case will serve as a warning to anyone who thinks that comments made online are somehow above the law"

Yep, but Liam Stacey wasn't a police officer, I'd be amazed if these officers even go to court let alone prison.

The CPS will come up with some technicality, I'm guessing something along the lines of the recording being inadmissible in court, if it goes to appeal the judges will agree. The CPS and judiciary will claim their hands are tied by the law and the officers will never be charged, it's the only way for the CPS to come out of it not admitting failings, and that could certainly never be tolerated.
Reply 8
Original post by James82
Yep, but Liam Stacey wasn't a police officer, I'd be amazed if these officers even go to court let alone prison.

The CPS will come up with some technicality, I'm guessing something along the lines of the recording being inadmissible in court, if it goes to appeal the judges will agree. The CPS and judiciary will claim their hands are tied by the law and the officers will never be charged, it's the only way for the CPS to come out of it not admitting failings, and that could certainly never be tolerated.

Plenty of them do go to prison.
Reply 9
Plenty of them do go to prison.

Not after the CPS has had to admit failings that would been seen as corruption.
Reply 10
A little problem i have with the whole scenario is wondering why one of the police officers is speaking like the ghetto wiseman from a boys in the hood style film "the difference between a black man a and a ****** is...." which has made me think the cuffed offender might of went down the 'because im black' route..

Unnecessary of course and totally inappropriate for a police officer to use the word and he should be disciplined on the matter but i dont like making full judgements without the whole story as these snippets can be manipulated.. i think we need a recording facility in police cars and vans as well to ensure this does not happen again.

When i went to Malasyia the locals called me Gueylo (if i have spelled right) which literally translates to 'ghost man'
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
The black man recorded the police officer saying it, so there isn't doubt of what was said. There is nothing to discuss really. He should certainly be reprimanded and disciplined (not lose his job over it).
I do absolutely agree that we should have recording devices installed to police cars. I'm sure they do in America. And you can catch all kinds of funny happenings on there too. I'm sure someone would love to make that into a TV show.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
All the way!!!!
Reply 13
After reading the entire article, the police officer comments were incrediiiiiiiiiiibly offensive. What an idiot. But I don't think he should lose his job because of the abuse, there are plenty of other punishments (desk duty for instance, pretty bad if you ask me), but if after the assault is investigated, and there is truth in that, he should lose his job. It's a total abuse of power and there is no argument for that. The police are there to keep us safe, not cause us to fear abuse them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/30/police-racism-black-man-abuse?newsfeed=true
Reply 14
As a police officer surely their job is to protect everyone in society? If they use abusive words against someone then doesn't that put into question on how well they can do their job because that says to me he's not prepared to protect the rights of someone who's black.

It's not like he used a word that would be offensive to this man only. He used a word that offends a lot of black people. Even those who've not done anything against this police officer.

BTW I don't condone the word when used by black people either. I know quite a few older generation black women who hate the way young black boys throw the word around with no thought to what it means.
Reply 16
They shouldn't have said "******", but it was during the riots, come on, you know how it is. I listened to the tape and aside from the racism there was nothing really bad going on, they said they strangled him but I can imagine it being a headlock rather than getting out the garotte wire.

Also he was a massive dick and clearly not scared at all, even triumphant knowing he could get the guy sacked.
Original post by Arekkusu
They shouldn't have said "******", but it was during the riots, come on, you know how it is. I listened to the tape and aside from the racism there was nothing really bad going on, they said they strangled him but I can imagine it being a headlock rather than getting out the garotte wire.

Also he was a massive dick and clearly not scared at all, even triumphant knowing he could get the guy sacked.
No, I don't know how it is. :indiff: That behaviour is inexcusable and there has been a severe lapse of professionalism that I hope is punished severely.
Reply 18
So racism is not bad enough?

If a police officer was abusing me, and I was recording it, I too would be smug knowing he would get in trouble for it.

Looter or not, we should all be treated with the same respect. What if he was innocent and was not involved in riots, would it then make it NOT okay to abuse him? Yes is the stupid answer.
Reply 19
Original post by geraldbean
So racism is not bad enough?

If a police officer was abusing me, and I was recording it, I too would be smug knowing he would get in trouble for it.

Looter or not, we should all be treated with the same respect. What if he was innocent and was not involved in riots, would it then make it NOT okay to abuse him? Yes is the stupid answer.

:confused: Why?

Quick Reply

Latest