The Student Room Group

How do you feel if someone calls you spoiled?

What does spoiled exactly mean? Spoiled with hugs and kisses or spoiled with material goods?

I find it offensive when someone calls me that. I am spoiled with the benefits of having a great family but i am not demanding and i always try to help as much as possible.

What do you define spoiled as and how would you feel if someone called you that?

I was negged for no fricken reason... I was just asking a question .
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Annoyed, since I'm an only child people assume that I'm 'spoiled' when I have the same if not less stuff that they do. Urghh people with siblings get spoiled too!

I would say that being spoiled is when kids have no idea how to look after themselves or relate to others because their parents indulge their every whim.
I think when someone calls you spoiled, it's perhaps because they don't know any better - they might not be get given gifts and treats often whereas the person they're being called spoilt might come from a well off family or (as is the case in my family) have family members who like to treat them.

I think being 'spoilt' though is the point where you've been given so much and gotten your way so often that you expect it all the time and don't appreciate how fortunate you are anymore.
Reply 3
pissed off. I have this one *friend* that calls me spoiled all the time even when it's not relevant... on Duke of edinburgh I was spoiled because she had blisters and I didn't.... b*tch, I didn't buy walking boots in the wrong size!
But seriously, it's usually the most spoiled people who call others spoiled. e.g. according to this girl I'm a brat for having gone on a family holiday to new york last summer, and she got given a new iPhone for no reason just the other week. I can't even....
Reply 4
Original post by cardine92
Annoyed, since I'm an only child people assume that I'm 'spoiled' when I have the same if not less stuff that they do. Urghh people with siblings get spoiled too!

I would say that being spoiled is when kids have no idea how to look after themselves or relate to others because their parents indulge their every whim.

This. Especially seeing as it's such a common stereotype.
I go absolutely mental and start flipping tables.
Reply 6
I think spoilt is where people are given so much that they don't fully appreciate it anymore or just expect it.

However, I also think if you constantly flaunt things you are bound to be called spoilt by someone....For example this girl I used to know in college constantly posts new things her dad has bought her on facebook like her new mini convertible, louis vutton handbags etc...But then when people comment on it saying she is spoilt or rich she gets annoyed about it, but she is the one uploading pictures on the news feed for everyone to see
Pissed off. Because THIS is spoilt.

[video="youtube;CEMV2rYyt7w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEMV2rYyt7w[/video]
[video="youtube;fuzwmG119No"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuzwmG119No[/video]

And I am nothing like that.
(edited 12 years ago)
I've never been called spoiled, so I wouldn't know.

Let's say that, hypothetically, I was called spoiled at some point or another.

My typical response would be "Well actually, my dad works very hard for his money, and if he chooses to spend a bit on me occasionally then who the **** are you to question that, much less reflect that onto my personality by calling me 'spoiled'?"
Reply 9
Original post by motunrolarulz
Pissed off. Because THIS is spoilt.

[video="youtube;CEMV2rYyt7w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEMV2rYyt7w[/video]

And I am nothing like that.

I think they are what I'd call a 'spoilt brat' though, you don't have to be a brat to be spoiled, you are just spoiled with something in particular like gifts (it doesn't have to be a bad thing).
I wouldn't feel a thing because I don't care what other people think and neither should you.
Reply 11
Original post by g_star_raw_1989
I wouldn't feel a thing because I don't care what other people think and neither should you.

Naww. :colondollar: .. thank you, umm..err Gstaraw..?

I actually don't mind that much i was just wondered how ppl interpreted the word spoiled...
I'd be a bit annoyed really, because I tend to either save up my money for stuff or hunt for bargains. Sometimes, it's hard to tell the difference between being spoilt and being appreciative, but I know quite a few people I'd label as spoilt (e.g. a girl who kicked off at her dad because he bought her loads of expensive stuff for her birthday yet she was annoyed because her iPhone wasn't good enough).
Original post by YaaahSarah
Naww. :colondollar: .. thank you, umm..err Gstaraw..?

I actually don't mind that much i was just wondered how ppl interpreted the word spoiled...

I guess most people interpret spoiled to describe people who get nearly everything they want from their parents, mainly material things. Which in itself isn't a bad thing, I don't think.

What is annoying is spoiled people who like to show off what they have, its almost as if the things they have have little or no value to them but its rather letting everyone know they have it that they enjoy.
Reply 14
Rather awkward.

It hasn't happened to me since I was a child, though.
I've never been called spoiled in my whole life... generally have never given people a reason to!
Envy lol...

In seriousness, this probably is the reason.
Reply 17
id feel rather smug knowing its simply out of jealousy. i refuse to apologise for having a good upbringing.
Reply 18
I've never been called it so i wouldn't know. I have a few friends though who are spoiled with material things, i don't necessarily see being spoiled as a bad thing. My friends are still great people so it doesn't matter to me if their parents like to give them their credit cards etc. My friend asked me once if i thought she was spoilt and i replied yes because she can get whatever she wants, when she wants it - this doesn't make me see her as any less of a friend though.
I call many people spoilt, I don't think anyone has called me that before though (obviously because I'm not). If they did I'd probably have to take a hard long look at myself because for people to have to use that label I'd have to be incredibly self centered/selfish, both of which are difficult qualities to spot in oneself (having them essentially means that you'd overlook them).

Latest

Trending

Trending