The Student Room Group

Maths a level before chosen career

I am recently in year 12. I do physics, chemistry, design techonology, and ict. i wanted to do maths a level but the school did not let me i got a high C, due to me crewing up in the last exams for it by getting a C. i resit it this year and i am still waiting for my result. I am hoping to reach my goal to do medicine/or dentistry. BUT, before i want to do that in a university, i want to get a full a level maths even though they require chemistry (its compulsory). But it is in my heart, that i will have regrets as i get older for not getting that maths a level, because i extremely love that subject and i am motivated to deepen my maths knowledge even more just because it gives me satisfaction everytime i solve a problem. do you think that this is a good idea or a bad idea? because i dont want to grow old and say "i wish i could of done it whilst i was still young". Or should i not bother? to me maths will always be the most important skill in my life. but would it affect my offer? please help, thank you for reading :smile:
Reply 1
There's nothing wrong with doing Maths A-Level; one of my friends did Biology, Chemistry and Maths and will be studying dentistry after his gap year. It's obviously more a question of whether you can get the grade you need to do what you want. It's not easy. What other subjects(s) would you do instead?
Reply 2
I'm confused, are you hoping to take an EXTRA alevel? or start 6th form/college again?

I will warn you though, the step up from GCSE to alevel maths is huge, so if you struggled (even if you enjoyed it) at GCSE, there is a strong chance you will struggle at alevel.
Math A level is easy if you practice enough. Do all exercises in the textbook and B is not a problem( work with all modules)
Reply 4
Don't you need biology for medicine and dentistry?
Reply 5
Original post by iamben
Don't you need biology for medicine and dentistry?

Many places require at least AS Biology for Medicine, a select few don't. Obviously you increase your choice of places to apply to by doing Biology.

As for the idea of doing A-level Maths - you don't need it for Medicine at all, you do however need to stick with subjects you'll get the required grades in. If you can do AS Maths with school while doing your A2s and you reeeeally want to do it, do it. Just bear in mind that if doing Maths as well as everything else means you don't get all As, you're shooting yourself in the foot with regard to your Medicine application.
Original post by Amirindo
I am recently in year 12. I do physics, chemistry, design techonology, and ict. i wanted to do maths a level but the school did not let me i got a high C, due to me crewing up in the last exams for it by getting a C. i resit it this year and i am still waiting for my result. I am hoping to reach my goal to do medicine/or dentistry. BUT, before i want to do that in a university, i want to get a full a level maths even though they require chemistry (its compulsory). But it is in my heart, that i will have regrets as i get older for not getting that maths a level, because i extremely love that subject and i am motivated to deepen my maths knowledge even more just because it gives me satisfaction everytime i solve a problem. do you think that this is a good idea or a bad idea? because i dont want to grow old and say "i wish i could of done it whilst i was still young". Or should i not bother? to me maths will always be the most important skill in my life. but would it affect my offer? please help, thank you for reading :smile:

Weird that you speak so passionately about maths yet are going to study medicine or dentistry (a bit weird that you don't know which you want to do). Seems like you're yet another person pressured by parents to do things other than what they love...
Reply 7
Thanks for your advice everypne.i understand what everyone means. Yes i would love to get an a level in maths, not redo the whole sixth form. And yes it seems weird that i like maths and im aiming for medicine, but plans change all the time, im still in year 12, so people say i should do engineering, people say with medicine or dentistry i am garunteed a job because of its demands.. In the end its all going to come to what i love. I love physics/dt/maths/chemistry, but i also enjoy medical treatment etc etc. Its really hard to decide, all i NEED to do is put 100% effort for my summer exams, so after i get my results it will help me when choosing. Btw in unis for medicine/dentistry chemistry is always compulsory, yes biology would help, but in university they teach you biology all over again, its the key chemistrg skills thats important, biology is important but its mostly remembering a load of info. And plus i am going nursing home once a week every sundays for 3 hours, and ive been accepted into a hospital to work as long as 2 weeks in the summer or more, which i have already had my interview. So even though i dont have biology, i have good work experience, and if work hard for my exam, chances will be bettet, im not picky with unis you see, i juat care about getting the degree and enjoying my job not too stressed abouting ONLY going to cambridge..
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest