The Student Room Group

Please help- retakes

Hiya guys! Thanks for looking at this threa

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to retake year 12...I think it's the best option for me. Right now, I'm sure I'm going to EEUU for AS - bad grades I know but I didn't work hard enough AT ALL

But trust me, I've learnt my lesson and I'm going to work my hardest next year

I just want to know, is it bad to retake year 12? Even if my grades have dramatically improved? I'm not applying for medicine or anything really competitive...but will unis disallow it?

Thanks once again
Hi, it completely depends on the university but most places don't have an issue with this. If you have an idea on the course you want to take at uni and where you want to study then it may be worth looking it up in advance to find out.
Don't assume that you will be able to apply everywhere after doing a retake but in your case with the ASs you're expecting I would say that the benefit of re-taking the year is more than the risk that some institutes may not accept you.
Reply 2
Original post by samiwami
Hiya guys! Thanks for looking at this threa

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to retake year 12...I think it's the best option for me. Right now, I'm sure I'm going to EEUU for AS - bad grades I know but I didn't work hard enough AT ALL

But trust me, I've learnt my lesson and I'm going to work my hardest next year

I just want to know, is it bad to retake year 12? Even if my grades have dramatically improved? I'm not applying for medicine or anything really competitive...but will unis disallow it?

Thanks once again

I think the only unis that will look especially down on its oxford, cambridge and if your doing medicine. But the rest are unlikely to. Me and me twin sis both went to a college we didnt like, got crap as levels: I got D,C,C,E and then switched colleges and ended up getting A*, A, B and my sis is at a russell group uni. So dont worry about it but what i would recommend doing if your desperate to do well is starting revising early- like october for january exams and february for june exams and keep practicing essay questions.
Hey

I resat year 12 because i didnt do very well first time DEE i think it was.

I now study psychology at sheffield Uni (which is one of the top for my course) and was very competitive.

I got 4 out of 5 of my offers, the only Uni that rejected me was Bristol. I applied to Nottingham Liverpool and Hull. :smile:

You will be fine
Reply 4
Original post by pinkangelgirl
Hey

I resat year 12 because i didnt do very well first time DEE i think it was.

I now study psychology at sheffield Uni (which is one of the top for my course) and was very competitive.

I got 4 out of 5 of my offers, the only Uni that rejected me was Bristol. I applied to Nottingham Liverpool and Hull. :smile:

You will be fine

wowow that made me feel so much more better!!! Thank you!:biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by cloudgal7
I think the only unis that will look especially down on its oxford, cambridge and if your doing medicine. But the rest are unlikely to. Me and me twin sis both went to a college we didnt like, got crap as levels: I got D,C,C,E and then switched colleges and ended up getting A*, A, B and my sis is at a russell group uni. So dont worry about it but what i would recommend doing if your desperate to do well is starting revising early- like october for january exams and february for june exams and keep practicing essay questions.

YAY THANKS!! Made me feel a little less stressed out hehe
and coooooool! Yes I will DEFO revise early and so as many practise questions as I can, thanks again:smile:
Reply 6
If it makes you feel any better, I know of a girl who retook Year 12 and got into St Andrew's. Also, Stephen Fry failed AS twice, went to prison and still got into Cambridge.

Basically, you never know. Also, you may have done better than you think. Hope you'll be able to smile at your results sheet. :smile:
Reply 7
What about for medicine though? Are re-sits bad?
Original post by 007Shella
What about for medicine though? Are re-sits bad?

Afraid so (but not everywhere) my brother did resists as he got a B in one of his A levels instead of A/A* and as a result was rejected at several uni's even those asking for lower A levels than he had before retakes. On calling enquiring why they said that they didn't take resits. He is not having to study biomedical science (or something like that) instead of medicince. Its such a shame as he's so clever and even uni's asking for CCC won't take him with his A's because of it :frown:
I got DEEE last year. Because the D was in a subject that the new teacher was doing with OCR starting from this year, I decided to carry it onto A2 and redo 1 exam and the coursework. I'm redoing to of those Es at AS and I swapped the other E to a different subject.

I knew with those ASes, if I had have carried onto A2, my teachers wouldn't have predicted me high enough grades to be able to get in anywhere half decent, so next year I'm going to do A2s in the 3 ASes I'm doing this year. The good thing is that for the kind of courses I want to apply for, by the time I do come to apply, I will already have a full a-level in the msot important subject.
Reply 10
Original post by ChelseyElla
Afraid so (but not everywhere) my brother did resists as he got a B in one of his A levels instead of A/A* and as a result was rejected at several uni's even those asking for lower A levels than he had before retakes. On calling enquiring why they said that they didn't take resits. He is not having to study biomedical science (or something like that) instead of medicince. Its such a shame as he's so clever and even uni's asking for CCC won't take him with his A's because of it :frown:

But I got a B in my As level and I'm going to resit THAT next year

hopefully I wont get a B in my actual a-level exams next year
I've learnt my lesson... Imma work harder now >.<

And that is SUCH A SHAME... I hate uni's like that
They don't allow potentials to come in... so unfair !
Original post by 007Shella
But I got a B in my As level and I'm going to resit THAT next year

hopefully I wont get a B in my actual a-level exams next year
I've learnt my lesson... Imma work harder now >.<

And that is SUCH A SHAME... I hate uni's like that
They don't allow potentials to come in... so unfair !

Yeah, it is really unfair! Best of luck in next year :smile:
Reply 12
I just got my AS results back...I got 3 U's and an E

I didnt put much effort in and I took many days off...no justifiable reason for my crap grades to be honest

So I'm planning to retake my AS year because I am 100% sure I have capability to achieve top grades
I'm just worried will this affect my chances of getting into Uni? I'm not applying for any competitive courses...and nowhere like Oxbridge. I'd like to go to a good uni, hopefully a plate glass uni...or red brick.
I am going to work so hard now, I'm sure of it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending