The Student Room Group

Can you pull out of an exam at any time?

does anyone know?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yes you can but you have to pay in order to withdraw yourself.
Reply 2
You will have to pay because the school payed for you to sit the exam, so you pay the price the school paid for you to sit the exam on top of the price it costs to pull you out of the exam.
Just don't turn up.
Reply 4
Original post by texico11
I got an very low A in A2 Psychology Unit 4 in January, but I decided to retake it just in case I screwed up Unit 3 (I'm pretty bad at timing, I might have ran out of time).

However, I finished all the question in Unit 3 a few days a go, and it went even better than Unit 4 in January. So I want to pull out of this retake.

The exams tomorrow. Can I turn up an hour or so before the exam, speak to the exams office and pull out? The only reason is, I don't want a retake on my record.

Yes you can pull out on the day (do tell the exams office though so the rush to try and find you doesn't disrupt the other candidates.) It is too late to get a refund of the entry fee but it costs nothing extra to withdraw you so if you paid for the re-sit you shouldn't have to pay to withdraw.
Original post by Whatever9999
Yes you can but you have to pay in order to withdraw yourself.

Original post by zcanf
You will have to pay because the school payed for you to sit the exam, so you pay the price the school paid for you to sit the exam on top of the price it costs to pull you out of the exam.

Incorrect. You do not have to pay to withdraw, as you will not have sat the paper. If the OP has already paid for the retake (which I assume they have) no further charges should be incurred. However, if the school has entered them then they may be asked to pay for the cost of entry.
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24
Incorrect. You do not have to pay to withdraw, as you will not have sat the paper. If the OP has already paid for the retake (which I assume they have) no further charges should be incurred. However, if the school has entered them then they may be asked to pay for the cost of entry.

That's what i mean ,the op didn't mention anything about him paying for the resit ,so i thought the school entered him for free !hence the reason why i told him he has to pay.
Reply 7
Some schools will charge you for doing this - even if you've already paid. It depends on their terms, really.
Reply 8
Oh right, I paid for the resit, yes.

Original post by Juno
Some schools will charge you for doing this - even if you've already paid. It depends on their terms, really.

But, if they do, ask to see a copy of the exams and charging policies
I don't want a retake on my record.

DO NOT PULL OUT.

If you retake an exam in the June of year 13 from the January of year 13, then it will not go down on your record. The only resits which go down on your record are AS exams from year 12, which you are planning to retake in year 13, on your UCAS application when you apply to uni. Nobody sees a retake from January to June of A2.

Do the exam and try and get a better grade in case you didn't do as well as you think in unit 3; you've got nothing to lose. If you do worse this time then the exam board will use the grade you got in January and this one won't matter.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
You can withdraw at any time (just speak to your exams office), and you do not have to pay to withdraw.
Reply 11
yes. just let someone know so they dont worry about you.

numerous students do so, HOWEVER, you dont get your money back if you have paid for it.
Original post by beanstalkgirl_24

Sorry if I've misunderstood this, but does that mean you can pay to withdraw an exam paper after having sat the exam?
Reply 13
Original post by LarrikinLibertine
Sorry if I've misunderstood this, but does that mean you can pay to withdraw an exam paper after having sat the exam?

It's free to withdraw up to early July, though if you are a centre candidate they may not let you.
Reply 14
Right, so I'll just go to the exam board, maybe chat to them about it for a sec, ask to be pulled out, or if it's a big deal pulling out, I can sit it and take it easy if I don't need to declare it :wink:

The exams officer is the person you need to talk to.
Basically I have a gcse exam on Wednesday in astronomy that I'm really unprepared for as my teacher hasn't taught us ANYTHING given it's an extracurricular. I really want to pull out and maybe do it next year when I've got time to actually prepare and get a good grade. The exam board is edexcel- if I withdraw from the exam then universities and employers, etc, won't know that I did that, right? My main concern is that I've done coursework so I'm probably on their 'system' if that makes sense?Please help! :smile:
Original post by helenh567
Basically I have a gcse exam on Wednesday in astronomy that I'm really unprepared for as my teacher hasn't taught us ANYTHING given it's an extracurricular. I really want to pull out and maybe do it next year when I've got time to actually prepare and get a good grade. The exam board is edexcel- if I withdraw from the exam then universities and employers, etc, won't know that I did that, right? My main concern is that I've done coursework so I'm probably on their 'system' if that makes sense?Please help! :smile:

which exam board is it?
Original post by Whatever9999
That's what i mean ,the op didn't mention anything about him paying for the resit ,so i thought the school entered him for free !hence the reason why i told him he has to pay.

Original post by The Dufmeister
Just don't turn up.

Original post by Flyteryder
DO NOT PULL OUT.

If you retake an exam in the June of year 13 from the January of year 13, then it will not go down on your record. The only resits which go down on your record are AS exams from year 12, which you are planning to retake in year 13, on your UCAS application when you apply to uni. Nobody sees a retake from January to June of A2.

Do the exam and try and get a better grade in case you didn't do as well as you think in unit 3; you've got nothing to lose. If you do worse this time then the exam board will use the grade you got in January and this one won't matter.

Why don't people with negative rep make a new account?
Edexcel
Reply 19
What if youve alreadt sat the exam?

Quick Reply

Latest