The Student Room Group

Interested in becoming a trainee stockbroker.

However, I have found that the vacancies aren't actually advertised and that I will have to go out there and find more information on getting trainee roles via networking.

My grades aren't really great yet unless I get a first in my final year coming up:

GCSEs (Maths : B) 3A*s , 3A's , 4B's
A-Level ABBBB (Inc General Studies, not inc. Maths)
Law at a Russell Group Uni: First year undergraduate: 3rd, 3rd, 2.1, 2.1 (2.2 overall)
Second year undergraduate: 1st, 2.1, 2.1, 2.1 (2.1 overall)
Third year undergraduate: Results pending (Aiming for a first)

So yeah, I am willing to work my arse off to get into a trainee role, however, I want to know where I can actually network because none of my relatives work in this field.
Reply 1
Original post by yl_llb
However, I have found that the vacancies aren't actually advertised and that I will have to go out there and find more information on getting trainee roles via networking.

My grades aren't really great yet unless I get a first in my final year coming up:

GCSEs (Maths : B) 3A*s , 3A's , 4B's
A-Level ABBBB (Inc General Studies, not inc. Maths)
Law at a Russell Group Uni: First year undergraduate: 3rd, 3rd, 2.1, 2.1 (2.2 overall)
Second year undergraduate: 1st, 2.1, 2.1, 2.1 (2.1 overall)
Third year undergraduate: Results pending (Aiming for a first)

So yeah, I am willing to work my arse off to get into a trainee role, however, I want to know where I can actually network because none of my relatives work in this field.

Trainee Stockbroker roles are hard to find. They usually entail of aspects such as execution-only trading, private client advisory, portfolio/fund management/monitoring and then investment research and analysis along with other responsibilities. Most trainees usually work towards the Level3 CISI Investment Management Certificate or Level4 CISI Investment Advice Diploma, these qualification bring FSA approval along with them.

The first year is a lot of learning and salaries depend on region-to-region. Exit opportunities entails of wealth/investment management, private banking, asset management to name a few.
Reply 2
Take a look at the likes of Kilik & Co, Redmayne Bentley, Charles Stanley, and Brewin Dolphin
Reply 3
Original post by PoorRichBoy
Take a look at the likes of Kilik & Co, Redmayne Bentley, Charles Stanley, and Brewin Dolphin

My University had several grads last year ending up with them. However, I don't know how to impress them yet. I need to gather as much info as I can on this, and work my arse off. Jobs market is very tough at the moment.
Reply 4
Original post by yl_llb
My University had several grads last year ending up with them. However, I don't know how to impress them yet. I need to gather as much info as I can on this, and work my arse off. Jobs market is very tough at the moment.

What university are you at? I would say try for a regional office than London. Build some experience, gain your FSA approval and then seek for opportunities in London and overseas..
Reply 5
What university are you at? I would say try for a regional office than London. Build some experience, gain your FSA approval and then seek for opportunities in London and overseas..

Newcastle Uni. Problem was that the graduates who did land the roles tended to do Marketing / Finance related degrees.

Yeah, I need to make a name for myself first I think.
Reply 6
Original post by yl_llb
Newcastle Uni. Problem was that the graduates who did land the roles tended to do Marketing / Finance related degrees.

Yeah, I need to make a name for myself first I think.

You could always start of at smaller brokers and work your way up.
Reply 7
You could always start of at smaller brokers and work your way up.

Where can I find a list of small stockbrokers/can you list any? Have no clue whatsoever
Reply 8
Original post by Brianop
Where can I find a list of small stockbrokers/can you list any? Have no clue whatsoever

Hi I too would be interested in this as im thinking of stock broker(ing?) as a career path.
And how essential would you say it is to have a degree in finance? Im studiying computer science and hopefully will end up with either a 1st or a high 2.1 from a 1994 group uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending