The Student Room Group

26 stone and "beautiful" - but is it healthy to be so heavy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by PointyElbow
I saw the interview and to be honest I was disgusted. That big beautiful woman contest is despicably irresponsible, it'll just encourage the morbidly obese to remain at that size, so long as they're 'happy and confident' etc

It is no different from anorexia, and in some ways it is worse because people will often not encourage the sufferers to lose the weight. Sorry, but the strain she's putting on her heart, the risk of diabetes she's forging for herself etc, it's self inflicted and it's a waste of her life.

And her boyfriend seemed to be a bit of an enabler tbh, she is not curvy, she is morbidly obese. She has a bmi over 60. How is that healthy in any way? She needs a diet plan and exercise, not a beauty contest. The whole thing is just so irresponsible. And you know what, if she wants to embrace a life of aching limbs, heart problems etc, fine, but why should the taxpayer have to foot the associated medical bills?

The bold, I don't disagree with at all. They are by doing that encouraging people to gain weight in the hope to win a contest, that is wrong. However, I have no disputes with anyone being happy with who they are.
Reply 21
Original post by glelin96
Well, she is saying that you should be happy with who you are, to promote something she would be required to encourage people to gain weight, which she isn't doing. She is saying be happy with who you are whatever that may be.

But why are you choosing to ignore that she is clinically obese?

I thought it would be quite easy to work out that she's trying to portray the image that being 26 stone is perfectly normal and ok?

Yes she is trying to also promote that it's ok to be whatever shape or size, but when you are unhealthily overweight, it just isn't, to put it bluntly.
Original post by Norton1
The stairs are normal. She's a borrower.

I see. :holmes:
Why do you care? Do you honestly care about her 'health'? Like seriously? How often do people actively worry about the health of complete strangers? She's happy, her boyfriend seemingly doesn't care, how the **** does it impact anybody else's life but her own? Jesus, it's not as if kids are gonna see one article about an (admittedly, morbidly) obese woman who is happy in her own skin and think 'this is definitely the lifestyle choice for me' and start shovelling pies down their throat, especially given that the overwhelming majority of media, TV shows, adverts etc only promote being thin. the article clearly says that her obesity began with comfort eating at the death of her father, she's been bullied for her weight and that she's tried loads of diets- as if one post on TSR is gonna make her say 'oh wait you're right, I am unhealthy, I should lose all this weight now' ffs. yes, she is most likely unhealthy- but so are extremely thin people, smokers, people who drink a lot- yet if someone's a normal weight but smokes 40 a day and eats at McDonalds all the time nobody accuses them of 'enabling' unhealthy lifestyles as long as they outwardly conform to societal standards of 'normality'.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
The bold, I don't disagree with at all. They are by doing that encouraging people to gain weight in the hope to win a contest, that is wrong. However, I have no disputes with anyone being happy with who they are.

does that include people who are dangerously thin and damaging their health/ risking long term consequences like osteoporosis infertility or death? as long as they think they look good that small and are happy and confident
Reply 25
Original post by Zyyz
But why are you choosing to ignore that she is clinically obese?

I thought it would be quite easy to work out that she's trying to portray the image that being 26 stone is perfectly normal and ok?

Yes she is trying to also promote that it's ok to be whatever shape or size, but when you are unhealthily overweight, it just isn't, to put it bluntly.

People are able to make up their own mind as to their ambitions in life. If their ambitions are to remain happy with who they are regardless, I won't stop them. If somebody wants to lose weight and get into shape, I won't stop them either.

Who are you to say that it isn't ok, if she is wishing to allow people to accept that being overweight is acceptable, why should that bother you?
Reply 26
People are able to make up their own mind as to their ambitions in life. If their ambitions are to remain happy with who they are regardless, I won't stop them. If somebody wants to lose weight and get into shape, I won't stop them either.

Who are you to say that it isn't ok, if she is wishing to allow people to accept that being overweight is acceptable, why should that bother you?

Because one thing leads to another then the next thing you know she's running into health complications as a result of her weight!

Who pays for her treatment?
Reply 27
Original post by boba
does that include people who are dangerously thin and damaging their health/ risking long term consequences like osteoporosis infertility or death? as long as they think they look good that small and are happy and confident

Yes, I thought the fact that I stated anyone would make it easy enough to understand. If they wish to live that way, why should you stop them? It is their choice and they are able to decide. Are you not aware there is a lot more publicity gained from articles that are encouraging health and well-being than the occasional article like this? People are able to make their own decisions in life, as long as that is of effect to them and them alone then why would you care? Yes, I agree it could be argued that by putting themselves at risk. If the people around the person care for them greatly enough they should respect their wishes, allowing them to make their own decisions.
Original post by cfizzle
If she likes who she is then there's nothing to discuss - I'm sure she knows being overweight isn't good for her, but it's her life

Also LOL at the Daily Mail - "Kirstie Mouncey, 18, gets out of breath going up stairs"

I'm a size 8, 8 stones 9 and even I get out of breath going up stairs!

Just because you're a size 8, doesn't mean you're physically fit... Getting out of breath whilst going up the stairs means you're probably not very fit, regardless of weight.

I personally think she's disgusting. And I'm shocked that there are people on here defending her tbh.
Reply 29
Original post by Zyyz
Because one thing leads to another then the next thing you know she's running into health complications as a result of her weight!

Who pays for her treatment?

Every tax payer will pay for her treatment. That is making the assumption that she has treatment, many places refuse to operate on people that are overweight. This should be the turning point when she can make the decision as to what path to take. Who pays for the treatment of drug addicts, smokers and alcoholics, that is exactly the same issue and I assume you aren't this openly angry about any of those three things.
Tbh, I don't think she's promoting obesity I just think she wants herself and other women who are her size to be able to love themselves. It's not like she saying everyone should be her size she just wants to feel happy in her own skin.
Reply 31
Original post by MasterJomi
Just because you're a size 8, doesn't mean you're physically fit... Getting out of breath whilst going up the stairs means you're probably not very fit, regardless of weight.

I personally think she's disgusting. And I'm shocked that there are people on here defending her tbh.

The fact that you as an individual find her disgusting doesn't mean she should change anything about herself unless she wants to.
Reply 32
Original post by DramaQueen93
Tbh, I don't think she's promoting obesity I just think she wants herself and other women who are her size to be able to love themselves. It's not like she saying everyone should be her size she just wants to feel happy in her own skin.

Exactly, people are able to make their own decision's in life.
My feeling is she's only happy because she's too much of a lazy bitch to lose weight and her boyfriend's happy because he's getting sex. Brutal, probably get a load of negative responses but ultimately probably true.

Classic excuse culture.
Every tax payer will pay for her treatment. That is making the assumption that she has treatment, many places refuse to operate on people that are overweight. This should be the turning point when she can make the decision as to what path to take. Who pays for the treatment of drug addicts, smokers and alcoholics, that is exactly the same issue and I assume you aren't this openly angry about any of those three things.

What are you on about? No one is ever refused medical attention for being overweight. If you suffer a heart attack or diabetes it doesn't matter whether you are 9 stone or 99 stone you will be treated by the NHS.
We judge anorexics, and tell them to eat more, therefore we should probably tell her to eat less.:sadnod:

She isn't healthy - that is the problem.
Reply 36

Exactly. I think my point is proven.

And wtf how are you assuming that I am perfectly ok with those things as well?

Which I have the same opinion on also.

Are you happy with taxpayers money being used for this if it could be avoided?

If you are happy with paying for the pitfalls and laziness of other people then more fool you.
Reply 37
I'm glad she's happy with her body - not many of us (especially women) are. We'll see how she feels when she's diabetic and dying of heart failure.

Original post by cfizzle
Also LOL at the Daily Mail - "Kirstie Mouncey, 18, gets out of breath going up stairs"

I'm a size 8, 8 stones 9 and even I get out of breath going up stairs!

'Up stairs' is admittedly vague, but assuming we're talking about 1 flight of stairs... you may have to breathe slightly harder, but that is far from 'out of breath'.

Original post by doloroushazy
Why do you care? Do you honestly care about her 'health'? Like seriously? How often do people actively worry about the health of complete strangers? She's happy, her boyfriend seemingly doesn't care, how the **** does it impact anybody else's life but her own? Jesus, it's not as if kids are gonna see one article about an (admittedly, morbidly) obese woman who is happy in her own skin and think 'this is definitely the lifestyle choice for me' and start shovelling pies down their throat, especially given that the overwhelming majority of media, TV shows, adverts etc only promote being thin. the article clearly says that her obesity began with comfort eating at the death of her father, she's been bullied for her weight and that she's tried loads of diets- as if one post on TSR is gonna make her say 'oh wait you're right, I am unhealthy, I should lose all this weight now' ffs. yes, she is most likely unhealthy- but so are extremely thin people, smokers, people who drink a lot- yet if someone's a normal weight but smokes 40 a day and eats at McDonalds all the time nobody accuses them of 'enabling' unhealthy lifestyles as long as they outwardly conform to societal standards of 'normality'.

This would be fair if it wasn't a thread specifically about whether this is a good thing or not. She has agreed to (and is no doubt getting paid lots for) being in a daily mail article so obv it is going to be discussed.

What difference does it make? What difference does talking about anything make? Maybe we should jsut sit in silence all day then? If people think this is not a good direction for society to be heading in, then that is up to them. Ultimately the sum of all the opinions expressed DO make a difference - public discussion is how society's opinions are formed.

edit: But don't get me wrong - its her decision and i'm glad she is happy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Samrout
she looks like an angry bird, like from the game.

probably because she's been denied a pie...

haaa...

shoot me now...

haaa....

haa....

hhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........

Excellent post lol.

But I'd say she looked more like those green annoying pigs in the game.
Difference is she aint the one laughing.
Reply 39
Yes, I thought the fact that I stated anyone would make it easy enough to understand. If they wish to live that way, why should you stop them? It is their choice and they are able to decide. Are you not aware there is a lot more publicity gained from articles that are encouraging health and well-being than the occasional article like this? People are able to make their own decisions in life, as long as that is of effect to them and them alone then why would you care? Yes, I agree it could be argued that by putting themselves at risk. If the people around the person care for them greatly enough they should respect their wishes, allowing them to make their own decisions.

I'm not saying that you should be against it I was just asking because a lot of people say things like that but then it quickly turns out there are in fact only applying it to the heavier scale not the lighter and are being very hypocritical.

since you are not I completely respect your opinion

Quick Reply

Latest